What kind of cookware do you use?

Here's a little trick to get your temps up.
I assume you have an indirect smoker similar to this...View attachment 49068

The key to keeping your pit hot and steady is to put bricks in the smoking chamber.(Under your meat)
Preheat it for awhile and than open the door on your fire box and see if your temp holds.
If it does you're good to go.
Feed your fire as necessary.

I swear by my electric smoker. Nice steady temperature so easy a caveman could do it.

Electric smokers are great for beef and pork but they tend to make poultry rubbery.
If you're going to use something other than a wood fired pitt,gas is better because it takes out the moisture in the box.
As much as people say moisture is good for pitt BBQ it's not for all types of meat.

I haven't had that problem. I mean I'm not a huge fan of smoked poultry anyway, but we have done a few chickens, some turkeys, and a few cornish hens and i've found them to be acceptable.

I concede electric isn't quite as good as the real thing, but it's a trade off I'm willing to make for convenience. I mean I'm over here making homemade mayo , only so much time in the day.

I havent used my electric box in years. In fact I'd be willing to sell it for 400 bucks ...or probably 300 just to get rid of it.
I put a gas element in my stick burner(which is a violation in competition)just so I could get some sleep while cooking a 20 hour brisket.

Electrics just dont turn out true BBQ.

That's my main reason for using electric. I put a brisket and a fatty on friday night, and saturday morning breakfast and dinner are ready.

For example.

I mean you do have to get up every couple hours and replenish wood chips, but that's really it. As opposed to a wood smoker that you're constantly fiddling with to keep the temperature right, etc etc.

for something real tasty smoke a turkey with cherry wood and put cranberry juice in the water tray.

YUM

I have to recommend getting a stick burner and installing a gas burner.
Your BBQ will improve by leaps and bounds no matter what kind of meat you're Qing.
I'm getting ready to axe the Pitts and Spitts(it's over 20 years old,although I hate to since George Bush uses one)and get a Lang.
upload_2015-9-1_22-58-14.png

The heat and smoke is directed under a steel plate below the meat(which is why the smoke stack is by the fire box)and directed under the meat then put back into the smoke box for a more even heat. It's the latest shit in smokers and is highly acclaimed.

I swear by my electric smoker. Nice steady temperature so easy a caveman could do it.

Electric smokers are great for beef and pork but they tend to make poultry rubbery.
If you're going to use something other than a wood fired pitt,gas is better because it takes out the moisture in the box.
As much as people say moisture is good for pitt BBQ it's not for all types of meat.

I haven't had that problem. I mean I'm not a huge fan of smoked poultry anyway, but we have done a few chickens, some turkeys, and a few cornish hens and i've found them to be acceptable.

I concede electric isn't quite as good as the real thing, but it's a trade off I'm willing to make for convenience. I mean I'm over here making homemade mayo , only so much time in the day.

I havent used my electric box in years. In fact I'd be willing to sell it for 400 bucks ...or probably 300 just to get rid of it.
I put a gas element in my stick burner(which is a violation in competition)just so I could get some sleep while cooking a 20 hour brisket.

That's my main reason for using electric. I put a brisket and a fatty on friday night, and saturday morning breakfast and dinner are ready.

For example.

I mean you do have to get up every couple hours and replenish wood chips, but that's really it. As opposed to a wood smoker that you're constantly fiddling with to keep the temperature right, etc etc.

for something real tasty smoke a turkey with cherry wood and put cranberry juice in the water tray.

YUM

Your BBQ will improve by leaps and bounds no matter what kind of meat you're Qing.
I'm getting ready to axe the Pitts and Spitts(it's over 20 years old,although I hate to since George Bush uses one)and get a Lang.View attachment 49082
The heat and smoke is directed under a steel plate below the meat(which is why the smoke stack is by the fire box)and directed under the meat then put back into the smoke box for a more even heat. It's the latest shit in smokers and is highly acclaimed.

yeah that is cool looking. And I'm all about more smoke.

For example.

YUM

I'm getting ready to axe the Pitts and Spitts(it's over 20 years old,although I hate to since George Bush uses one)and get a Lang.View attachment 49082

yeah that is cool looking. And I'm all about more smoke.

Seriously though,whether you get a Lang or another type of reverse flow pitt it really makes a difference since you wont get a hot end on your smoker.
And if you add a simple gas burner ,which Lang offers, or is easily obtained at most sporting goods an electric becomes obsolete.

And the particular model I showed also come with a charcoal grill for standard grilling.

Cast iron everything.

Even my underwear is cast iron.
Cast iron is not good for everything. For instance, you should never try to cook anything tomato-based in cast iron.

• Typical cast iron corrodes at a pH lower than 4.3; pure white vinegar (5%) has a pH of 2.4 and wine is around 3.2 to 3.8. If you plan to use either of these in cast iron, you'd better make sure they are heavily diluted, otherwise you may actually ruin your pot in addition to getting a pretty hefty iron supplement with your meal.

• Cast iron is still somewhat reactive at borderline pH ranges, i.e. tomato juice or sauce. It'll leach out about 5 mg of iron for every 3 oz / 88 mL of liquid for typical cooking times. The typical human needs to ingest significantly more than 45 mg over a period of several days to become toxic, so it's generally considered OK and even healthy to cook dilute tomato solutions in cast iron, but wine and vinegar are another story.
Don't fill your cast-iron cookware with wine or vinegar. A splash for sauce or deglazing is OK, but tossing a
significant amount straight into the pan undiluted will ruin your cookware, and your health.

P.S. Note that enameled cast iron (Le Creuset, etc.) is less reactive; the specifics depend on the brand. If you have this type of cast iron, I suggest doing your homework before taking the risk.

Don't contradict me boy.

Good Lord! You guys are too fancy schmancy for me! :lol: I don't own any of that crap.

When you spend twenty some odd hours on a brisket you leave nothing to chance.
And than you have the Boys and their toys aspect to consider.
And of course while you're standing around drinking beer it gives you something else to do other than staring at the pit.

Good Lord! You guys are too fancy schmancy for me! :lol: I don't own any of that crap.

When you spend twenty some odd hours on a brisket you leave nothing to chance.
And than you have the Boys and their toys aspect to consider.
And of course while you're standing around drinking beer it gives you something else to do other than staring at the pit.

Plus the whole "my penis smoker is bigger than yours.

:rofl:

Forum List

Back