What Kerry probably meant... not that it matters now

Little-Acorn

Gold Member
Jun 20, 2006
San Diego, CA
Study a lot, work hard, and you'll do well. If you don't, then you'll wind up doing something dumb, like our "Dumb" president did, getting the country "stuck" in a difficult foreign war.

Kerry's sneer wasn't intended for the troops. It was intended for Bush. Too bad it didn't come out that way. Tough luck, Johnny. Live by the nuance, and you die by the nuance. Which you just did. It was inevitable, really. Someone who spends as much time and energy crafting complex explanations for straightforward ideas instead of letting them stand on their own, is bound to do it wrong, sooner or later.

Johnny, I guess you assumed that everyone hated Bush as completely as you and your whacko-left fringe do. And that any mention of "stuck in Iraq" would immediately direct everyone's outraged attention toward Bush, not to the troops who are actually "in Iraq", no matter how clumsily it was phrased.

Maybe you forgot that you and your cohorts have been whining for years that our troops are where they shouldn't be - that they are the ones "stuck in Iraq". The short memories you've been depending on, just bit you in the rear. Not everybody immediately forgets what you've said in the past, and what it meant.

And maybe you forgot that people are getting tired of your elaborate explanations that what you said, wasn't really what it sounded like, but really meant something different. With subtle explanations and nuances that have to be carefully placed and elaborated upon, to transmit the right impression to your listening audience.

What a surprise, that not everybody fell in line with your auto-Bush-hating agenda and assumed you meant him.

This incident doesn't show that Kerry hates the military. Other things show that. This incident shows that he is out of touch with what most people think of Bush... and of him.

Pretty unpleasant surprise, wasn't it, Johnny?

Im sorry but if he meant to joke about the President, it just makes no sense. If we accept that spin then he was saying "If you dont study you can become President" is that really the point he wanted to get across?

BTW what the heck does Kerry know about hard work? The man is rich because he married wealthy women. He hasnt worked a day in his life.

Yeah, that's the spin now.....It was a BOTCHED JOKE...

Some joke.....At the expense of our troops.

Did I already say, I really, really, Really can't stand this spineless person...:puke3:

Study a lot, work hard, and you'll do well. If you don't, then you'll wind up doing something dumb, like our "Dumb" president did, getting the country "stuck" in a difficult foreign war.

I don't believe that was the intended speech- not for a second. Let's see the prepared text.

1. The guys a professional speech-giver. He's been coached for years. He's gone through countless "major makeovers" to try to find a style that people like. After all that, you don't make a "mistake" of this magnitude.
2. Even if you are bad at telling jokes he knows enough to grin after you tellit, and wait for a response. He made no such moves. In fact- he rushed into the next sentence.
3. He sped up at the "punch line" and even got quieter, looking down. Who tells a punch line like that? Answer: no one.
4. He has expressed contempt for our troops throughout his career. It is a pattern with Kerry. This is just one more example.
5. The "botched joke about Bush" excuse does not pan out. No- this was a liberal guy talking to liberal college students in a liberal state. He felt comfortable, in his element, and he let his guard down to show us exactly what is on his mind.
6. Bush went to college, got better grades than Kerry, and went on to get a Master's degree. Who in that position would claim that his rival was an idiot? Answer: no one.

....., now he's doing the political tap dance to undo the damage of his F'up ....

He's not even doing that. This ARROGANT BLOWHARD is suggesting the WE don't know what we are talking about when WE incorrectly interpret what HE said.

I'm so mad at this guy I could spit more than just tobacco juice.

Yep what glock just said......Just now reading this....

Wednesday, November 1, 2006

Kerry furious over new attacks

By JOEL CONNELLY
P-I COLUMNIST

With the media machine of the political right attacking him over his remark about Americans "stuck in Iraq," and President Bush calling it "shameful," Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., on Tuesday reacted with fury and defiance.

"I'm not going to sit around and let these guys create a phony controversy," said the Democrats' 2004 presidential nominee, faulted for not firing back while the Swift Boat controversy burned his candidacy.

Kerry
Kerry was in Seattle to do a fundraiser for Sen. Maria Cantwell, D-Wash., and afterward he sat down for a lengthy interview. The words that tumbled out of him were not the apology demanded by Bush.

"The president always sets up a straw man because he won't debate a real man," he snapped.:laugh:

The controversy began Monday in suburban Los Angeles. Kerry told students: "You know, education, if you make the most of it, you study hard, you do your homework and you make an effort to be smart, you can do well. If you don't, you get stuck in Iraq."

The remark came in the context of an attack on Bush's "broken" Iraq policy. At a news conference Tuesday, Kerry called it "a botched joke about the president and the president's people -- not about the troops."

Bush seized on Kerry's remark. In a speech in Georgia, the president labeled the senator's remarks "insulting" and "shameful" and said Kerry should apologize to members of the military.

Kerry, who as a Yale graduate volunteered for service in Vietnam, said later that Bush, his advisers and political handlers should make their own apologies.

"They need to apologize to the country for a failing strategy (in Iraq)," he said. "They should apologize for putting our troops in harm's way under fraudulent circumstances."

The senator's remark was amplified in the right wing's media echo chamber, from the Drudge Report Web site to the Fox News Channel to the White House briefing room.

Kerry, in the interview, described it as a slime machine's last effort to stave off defeat.

"These guys are desperate, and that's the way they are," he said. "This (Iraq war) is a failed policy, and the American people are seeing through it. These guys will say anything and do anything to hold onto power.

"America is less safe today. They're creating more terrorists. They're putting Democrats on the defensive when they should be apologetic to the American people. ... They've unleashed pent-up forces of religious extremism. They've pushed away our allies. They've failed to adequately protect our troops."

The Iraq war has come front and center as the key issue in the midterm election.

The election is taking place against the backdrop of a bloody October in which 103 American service personnel were killed in Iraq, and with bombings and kidnappings killing Iraqis by the hundreds each week.

Bush has insisted, on the campaign trail, that his administration still has a plan for victory in Iraq -- and that Democrats have none.

A Navy lieutenant who was awarded the Silver Star and three Purple Hearts in Vietnam, Kerry noted Tuesday that luminaries of the Bush administration never went near the battlefield.

"Dick Cheney, Karl Rove, George W. Bush, they had the opportunity to serve their country (in Vietnam) and they had other priorities," he said.

He also said it is "a disgrace" that so few offspring of members of Congress or leading administration figures have served in Iraq. "It underscores what's happening in America," he said.

As for the troops who are in harm's way, Kerry added: "These kids are as good as they come. They deserve leadership in the civilian sector that is up to their sacrifice."

He argued that the U.S. military is overextended, that the country's generals have been "put in an untenable position," and that the federal budget for veterans' services is inadequate.

Attacks on Kerry's Vietnam service during the '04 campaign -- manipulated by Republican operatives using a group called Swift Boat Veterans for Truth -- have hung over Democrats' efforts to retake Congress.

"We will not be Swift Boated," House Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi of California said in an interview during a recent Seattle visit.

The Democrats have run a largely gaffe-proof campaign. They've recruited retired military officers as candidates for Congress, and a wounded, decorated Vietnam War veteran to run for the Senate in Virginia.

A former soldier who lost two legs in Iraq is the Democrats' nominee for an Illinois seat crucial to the party's hopes of controlling the House.

The narrow loss to Bush in '04 did not end Kerry's White House ambitions.

"I've been very upfront: I'm thinking about it" for 2008, he said Tuesday.

Kerry has raised and given away more than $12 million in the 2006 campaign. Last week, Kerry and Sen. Edward Kennedy, D-Mass., put an additional $1 million into Democrats' bid to retake the Senate.

The Bush-Kerry sparring brings to mind a notable political precedent involving a president and a former vice president.

In 1966, as Richard Nixon stumped for Republican candidates across the country, President Lyndon Johnson dismissed the former vice president as a "chronic campaigner."

The GOP made major gains, and Johnson put the spotlight on the man who would succeed him.

Asked about parallels with Bush's White House 40 years later, Kerry replied, "Obviously these guys are looking at me, and listening to me, and are worried at what I'm saying.":rotflmao:
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/connelly/290687_joel01.html

yea OK, so he was trying to make it sound like Bush is the dumb one. Bush didn't get kicked out of school for cheating on an exam like a certain Massachusetts Senator did. Nor did he let a woman drown in a river and wait 10 hours before he called the police, like a certain Massachusetts Senator did. But I guess those aren't dumb mistakes if you're a flamming liberal.

So now, "what the Senator's words actually said" isn't important any more? And "what that implies about his real opinion" doesn't count?

In that case, when does Trent Lott get his old job back?

:confused:

yea OK, so he was trying to make it sound like Bush is the dumb one. Bush didn't get kicked out of school for cheating on an exam like a certain Massachusetts Senator did. Nor did he let a woman drown in a river and wait 10 hours before he called the police, like a certain Massachusetts Senator did. But I guess those aren't dumb mistakes if you're a flamming liberal.

Who was caught cheating? On the river, aren't you referring to Kennedy?

He's not even doing that. This ARROGANT BLOWHARD is suggesting the WE don't know what we are talking about when WE incorrectly interpret what HE said.

I'm so mad at this guy I could spit more than just tobacco juice.

So true--the guy was there to speak about education but COULDN'T RESIST TRYING TO TIE THE EDUCATION ISSUE TO THE IRAQ ISSUE. The botched ASIDE is what bombed. It was just too tough to talk rationally about two issues at the same time without all of his resentment getting the best of his tongue. Anger held onto for years always will come back to bite you in the ass.

Anybody repeating the inane "Joke at Bush's expense" spin has lost all resemblance to any sort of impartiality that they pretended to in the past and pretty much show that they have absolutely no logical thought pattern to be proud of... Gotta believe that he meant the more educated than he is Bush when speaking of the "undecuted"... Man... I can't believe we thought he meant the troops! Duhhh....

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
I don't believe that was the intended speech- not for a second. Let's see the prepared text......

A Kerry spokeswoman, Amy Brundage, said later that the senator's prepared text had called for him to say: "Do you know where you end up if you don't study, if you aren't smart, if you're intellectually lazy? You end up getting us stuck in a war in Iraq. Just ask President Bush."

I want to see better evidence that this. I think she's lying.

I want to see better evidence that this. I think she's lying.

A Kerry spokeswoman, Amy Brundage, said later that the senator's prepared text had called for him to say: "Do you know where you end up if you don't study, if you aren't smart, if you're intellectually lazy? You end up getting us stuck in a war in Iraq. Just ask President Bush."

Even if that was suppose to be the joke, I didn't find it one damn bit funny....

Kerry and his team, are all idiots.....

What I do find funny, is that Kerry didn't expect any of this to get out in the public...He figured that the Lsm would've covered it up for him.....
SURPRISE....., it was a blogger who caught it and broke the story.......:laugh:

I mentioned on another forum that Mel Gibson was crucified (no pun intended) for his drunken comments, but remember, he was under the influence whether he meant what he said or not.

Kerry was sober (as far as anyone knows) so that really tells ya about his real feelings.

I personally think this is a Freudian (sp?) slip...he let slip his true feelings by trying to say something else.

New Topics

Forum List

Back