What is your traditional Christmas Eve and Day meal?

This year is nothing because of covid, everybody is on lockdown.

I forget past meals....all I know they were happy and delicious.

I still had my meal and booze and here in Texas we Texans will celebrate and if we die then it was still worth it!

It might be my last Christmas, so I will celebrate as usual and not worry about the 26th...

Usually....cornish hens, mashed candied yams, fried green beans with bacon and onions. Not heated. FRIED. Crispy green beans, lol.
Sometimes mashed taters and gravy, sometimes not. Sometimes dinner rolls, sometimes not. And of course MrGs coveted pecan pie..store bough cuz I won't make it. Baker I am not.
But as I said....this is the first xmas dinner in 5 years and the ONLY reason I am doing it is cuz my new buddy here, Glenda, is bummed, alone and I asked her over for xmas day dinner.

Next year will be the same. It just is NOT christmas without karma, gracie, moki and pretties.

I still had my meal and booze and here in Texas we Texans will celebrate and if we die then it was still worth it!

It might be my last Christmas, so I will celebrate as usual and not worry about the 26th...
Nah. You have to stay here and suffer with the rest of us old fogies.

Nah. You have to stay here and suffer with the rest of us old fogies.

You are so mean but still Merry Christmas...

For me on the Eve it is usually grapes, fruits, salmon, cold cuts and cheese with a lot of booze...

On Christmas Day it is usually Cornish Hens and Veggies and again Booze...

So what is your favorite meal?

Growing up, Christmas eve was oyster stew, which I hated. Mom always made me a frozen pizza. But Christmas Day, well that is another story. It was brunch, country ham, scrambled eggs, Dad made them, with cream and cooked oh so slow. Cheese grits, baked in the oven, the best part. Creamed rice, nobody makes creamed rice like Mom. Orange danish rolls, fresh fruit, Hot cider, tomato juice and orange juice. You could have kept the gifts, Santa Claus could have bypassed us But that breakfast, that signified Christmas.

Tonight, well the plans were to grill these thick New York Strips I got, asparagus, roasted potatoes, sweet corn, and macaroni and cheese, homemade, with bread crumbs. We got rained out. So we had the Maple glazed ham I was going to cook tomorrow with pineapple relish, baked potatoes, green beans, and that mac and cheese. Chocolate pie for dessert, and more homemade cookies and sweets than you can shake a stick at. I make a killer truffle. The youngest came home packing a smorgasbord of craft beers, I like my whiskey, and the wife is taking in some top shelf magarita's, old school, Chi Chi's style.

For me on the Eve it is usually grapes, fruits, salmon, cold cuts and cheese with a lot of booze...

On Christmas Day it is usually Cornish Hens and Veggies and again Booze...

So what is your favorite meal?

On 24th of December traditionally potatoes with butter and pickled herring. This was once a very cheap fasting meal - but dies out because it became more and more expensive. At 25th traditional is a Christmas goose. This year we were guests from a Muslim at Christmas eve (24th) and he cooked for us "klassische Rinderrouladen" (German), that's this meal:

rinderrouladen-klassisch.jpg

Forum List

Back