What is your concept of equality?

Persuader

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2020
For the purposes of this board i think we should stick to the following: poitical equality, social equality, economic equality and racial equality.

Also a good place to start would be Thomas Jefferson and what did he really mean by 'All Men are created equal"

For the purposes of this board i think we should stick to the following: poitical equality, social equality, economic equality and racial equality.

Also a good place to start would be Thomas Jefferson and what did he really mean by 'All Men are created equal"
You can choose who to vote for so there’s political equality. You not winning doesn’t mean it was unequal you just lost.

You can socialize with anyone you want. No problem there.

You can make anything of yourself and make millions of dollars. Nobody is stopping you.

Race has nothing to do with the first three. It doesn’t even exist. Vote for who you want, associate with who you want and either make a career that pays or don’t.

The only reason anyone would complain about the race part of your question is they totally screwed up the first three choices. Your race doesn’t give you a right to complain after you fucked up the first three.

Equality does not mean making sure everyone is brought artificially to the same wrung on the ladder to success. It means that everyone has an equal opportunity to grab a wrung and start climbing. It might be a low wrung, it might be a high wrung, but everyone has a shot at climbing the ladder.

There is no such thing as true equality in a world of billions of unique individuals. The best we can hope for is equality under law.

I think the key word in your response would be: 'The best we can hope for"

Of course we all recognize or should, that there is really no equality under the law.

The more money one has the more justice he gets, pretty well sums it up.

However does anyone know of any legal system better than trial by jury?

Equality does not mean making sure everyone is brought artificially to the same wrung on the ladder to success. It means that everyone has an equal opportunity to grab a wrung and start climbing. It might be a low wrung, it might be a high wrung, but everyone has a shot at climbing the ladder.

A good ideal for sure.

What it means I think in a republic such as ours(still yet) is that one's origins does not dictate your future(though of course they often do) at least in a strict legal sense, meaning one by education, hard work, diligence and perseverance has some chance of advancing in society.

See: The Declaration of Independence, The Bill of Rights, The US Constitution.

For further consideration think very carefully about the following two words: personal responsibility. Men can only be equal under any authority, divine or carnal, when they are responsible enough to disallow their own behaviors to interfere with the freedom of other men.

Lastly, equality in any context, historically or otherwise definable, has never meant that everyone, everywhere be given the same amount of any commodity as everyone or anyone else. True equality is a but a starting line where everyone fortunate enough to be an American citizen begins but which is never fully achieved until near the end of a lifetime of hard work and the exertion of much personal effort.

Subjective: equality can never be measured by the artificial, external parameters you set for the discussion of this thread. Equality can only be achieved within one's own heart and mind. If one sits around for generations waiting for someone or something to either give him equality or tell him he is now equal, then such a person will never be equal to anyone else.

I think the key word in your response would be: 'The best we can hope for"
I choose my words very carefully.
Of course we all recognize or should, that there is really no equality under the law.
Any laws conceived and applied by men/women will be as flawed as those same men/women. Still, it is a noble pursuit that needs constant adjustment and vigilance.
The more money one has the more justice he gets, pretty well sums it up.
Generally true, but not always. It took a while, but neither Epstein's nor Weinstein's wealth saved them in the end. Hopefully the wheels of justice will eventually roll over the Clintons, Schiff, and Pelosi as well.
However does anyone know of any legal system better than trial by jury?
Short of me being the supreme dictator, no.... JK!

You can choose who to vote for so there’s political equality. You not winning doesn’t mean it was unequal you just lost.

You can make anything of yourself and make millions of dollars. Nobody is stopping you.

Race has nothing to do with the first three. It doesn’t even exist. Vote for who you want, associate with who you want and either make a career that pays or don’t.

The only reason anyone would complain about the race part of your question is they totally screwed up the first three choices. Your race doesn’t give you a right to complain after you fucked up the first three.

I must object to some of your concepts: We can choose who to vote for but who determines what choices you have?

We have a political system dominated by two parties. You may write in anyone's name thus you are not wrong in a strict sense. To be real though if you do not vote for a republican or a democrat your vote pretty much is wasted.

Also it should be remembered that in Stalinist Russia people were required to vote. However there was only one candidate.

Thus I would have to say that we do not have political equality but a system of politics that is better than most.

Yes some can make millions of dollars or be very successful in many ways. However, the reality is that most never become wealthy or even very successful.

America being very unique in that more have succeeded in this nation than in any other. The so called 'American Dream' consisting of having jobs that allowed a family to live comfortably if not well and to have the ability to improve their children's opportunities to advance even further than the parents.

Socializing is of course is more open here than in most p;laces but still the 'rich' tend to socialize with the rich and pointedly 'rich girls'tend to marry rich boys.

'I have been rich and I have been poor, being rich is better.' who said that?

I am not going to respond to your claim that 'race' does not exist at this time as in my post is getting too long already..

I will get around to it later.

I must object to some of your concepts: We can choose who to vote for but who determines what choices you have?

We have a political system dominated by two parties. You may write in anyone's name thus you are not wrong in a strict sense. To be real though if you do not vote for a republican or a democrat your vote pretty much is wasted.

Also it should be remembered that in Stalinist Russia people were required to vote. However there was only one candidate.

Thus I would have to say that we do not have political equality but a system of politics that is better than most.

Yes some can make millions of dollars or be very successful in many ways. However, the reality is that most never become wealthy or even very successful.

America being very unique in that more have succeeded in this nation than in any other. The so called 'American Dream' consisting of having jobs that allowed a family to live comfortably if not well and to have the ability to improve their children's opportunities to advance even further than the parents.

Socializing is of course is more open here than in most p;laces but still the 'rich' tend to socialize with the rich and pointedly 'rich girls'tend to marry rich boys.

I am not going to respond to your claim that 'race' does not exist at this time as in my post is getting too long already..

You better hurry because it’s all you have to make your point. The rest of your post can be answered with an easy “who’s fault is that?” Reply.

There is no such thing as true equality in a world of billions of unique individuals. The best we can hope for is equality under law.

Yes, I completely agree.

Unfortunately too many do not agree with that. Our streets are full of people now demonstrating for something that is not possible, that being 'equality'.

The best anyone can hope for or should be able to hope for is 'opportunity'. The opportunity to use the talents bestowed upon you to better your station in life.

Everyone has some sort of ability to improve themselves though what ability one has may not rise to the level of what is considered a 'talent'.

When i say 'talent' I refer to some extraordinary ability that some have that distinguishes them markedly from the majority of their peers.

Society usually rewards such people in significant ways.

You better hurry because it’s all you have to make your point. The rest of your post can be answered with an easy “who’s fault is that?” Reply.

What do you think 'my point' is?

Yes, that is the most we can really or should hope for, having an opportunity to advance.

I think it’s heading toward more racism bullshit and not as much personal responsibility. Are you going to prove me wrong?

I think it’s heading toward more racism bullshit and not as much personal responsibility. Are you going to prove me wrong?

It might veer off in that direction but my desire with this thread was to stimulate a discussion regarding 'Equality' and in particular what Thomas Jefferson meant by it in the Declaration of Independence.

I see much confusion regarding not only what jefferson meant regarding 'equality' but also how so many now have been indoctrinated by our public schools to believe they have an inherent right to 'equality' and that anything less is to be deprived of what they mistakenly believe to be a basic right guaranteed by the constitution.

Not even to mention our corporate world has completely bought into the ignorance out of a desire to promote themselves and their financial interests.

Also White liberal elites with advanced degrees in many cases are going along with the nonsense as in they seek to stake out a higher moral ground for themselves by demanding equality for those they consider unfortunate victims of our society.

The media of course is part of the mob and has done much to incite the various players in this madness that has swept across the nation.

In a nutshell what so many think regarding 'equality' is nothing more than marxist propaganda.

Forum List

Back