What is wrong with letting threads start in one forum and be moved later?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amelia

Rookie
Feb 14, 2011
Packerland!
When we start threads in the proper forum we are penalized by lack of visibility.

When we start threads in the politics or current events forum we're taking a chance but at least we'll get seen. We don't know if our threads will be left there or closed or moved to the rubber room for simply being off-topic -- but we can count on them being seen and responded to, so sometimes it's worth taking the risk and putting them in the wrong forum.

What is wrong with letting us start them in the politics or current events forum and then letting them be moved to the proper forum after they've gotten enough activity to keep them viable for awhile?

When we start threads in the proper forum we are penalized by lack of visibility.

When we start threads in the politics or current events forum we're taking a chance but at least we'll get seen. We don't know if our threads will be left there or closed or moved to the rubber room for simply being off-topic -- but we can count on them being seen and responded to, so sometimes it's worth taking the risk and putting them in the wrong forum.

What is wrong with letting us start them in the politics or current events forum and then letting them be moved to the proper forum after they've gotten enough activity to keep them viable for awhile?

I feel your pain I've seen it a quizzillion times where and they can remain nameless but the libs swarm in and hit the front page.

It really is a tactic of progressive boarders. They will purposefully drag in so many other blogs you wonder if you are still in USMB. Some days I wonder if I'm in RawStory or USMB?

And you don't want to be a pain in the ass to these mods bitching about it on a continual basis.

I say we stay true to the rules. Work the good forums but maybe ramp our vigilance and when we see someone breaking forum rules, immediately report them.

But there has to be a serious penalty for continually breaking known rules.

• Banned
Well, I don't in theory object to staying true to the rules. However, there's nothing wrong with lobbying for a rule or procedure or practice change.

I say "in theory" because if I make multiple threads in the proper forums with little or no response, I will probably decide to take my chances in the higher traffic forums.

And if I'm continually rubber-roomed or shut down for this instead of just having my thread moved to what is deemed the correct forum, then I'll be frustrated and may decide not to post more threads.

There's another problem with having to post in the other forums and not the politics forum. The politics forum has a rule against contentless insults. Some of the other forums don't have such a rule. That also makes the politics forum more attractive for starting threads.

tinydancer's opinion part II

Disclaimer: Not a suck up :lol:

This is probably the best board I've ever been on with such a wide range of people left and right and in between that even though you might hate someone in politics you can still love them in pets.

I agree that we have a problem with the progressives who swarm. But these guys aka mods are good.

Nightmare story. I became a mod once in a Mennonite community who would never let me ban anyone. Because banning was "mean".

Think Lord of the Flies. It didn't have a happy ending.

• Banned
This isn't about progressives, TD, and it's not about swarms. This is about having a chance to get a discussion going.

I started three threads today in the "proper" forums -- two in healthcare and one in media. I got one response so far -- a lesbian joke.

If I had started the threads in higher traffic forums, I would have risked having my threads closed or moved to the rubber room simply for being off-topic, but I would have gotten more reaction. I am just asking for the threads to be allowed to be started in politics or current events with the option of something less drastic happening to them if a mod doesn't want them to stay in the forum where I started them.

Last edited:
Well, I don't in theory object to staying true to the rules. However, there's nothing wrong with lobbying for a rule or procedure or practice change.

I say "in theory" because if I make multiple threads in the proper forums with little or no response, I will probably decide to take my chances in the higher traffic forums.

And if I'm continually rubber-roomed or shut down for this instead of just having my thread moved to what is deemed the correct forum, then I'll be frustrated and may decide not to post more threads.

There's another problem with having to post in the other forums and not the politics forum. The politics forum has a rule against contentless insults. Some of the other forums don't have such a rule. That also makes the politics forum more attractive for starting threads.

I'm with you.

I see them daily. And they work the front page. They pull the "bats out of the cave routine" .

You try to be a good little camper and you get swamped. Now I have been so sick so I've not been able to really post because what I've always done is go to page three and drag good threads back.

Because the other thing these little sob's will do is bury on purpose good threads. In a forum that will remain nameless I learned how they did this. Many are here now.

• Banned

I'm with you.

I see them daily. And they work the front page. They pull the "bats out of the cave routine" .

You try to be a good little camper and you get swamped. Now I have been so sick so I've not been able to really post because what I've always done is go to page three and drag good threads back.

Because the other thing these little sob's will do is bury on purpose good threads. In a forum that will remain nameless I learned how they did this. Many are here now.

No, TD, I don't get swamped when I try to be a good little camper. I get the opposite. If I'm a good little camper and post my thread in the low-traffic forum, there's no swamping. There's are only tumbleweeds.

We're talking about two different things here. :smiliehug:

This isn't about progressives, TD, and it's not about swarms. This is about having a chance to get a discussion going.

I started three threads today in the "proper" forums -- two in healthcare and one in media. I got one response so far -- a lesbian joke.

If I had started the threads in higher traffic forums, I would have risked having my threads closed or moved to the rubber room simply for being off-topic, but I would have gotten more reaction. I am just asking for the threads to be allowed to be started in politics or current events with the option of something less drastic happening to them if a mod doesn't want them to stay in the forum where I started them.

Then ask who moved you.

Dunno how many new threads there are each day, but I'm guessing it's a lot. And the handfull of mods prolly didn't volunteer to move that many threads from 1 place to another. If a thread's good it'll get read. May not give you the instant gratification you're hungry for, but over time people see 'em.

See the site coming up a lot on page 1 of google searches for many subjects so there's prolly a fair number of non-members reading them as well.

I'm with you.

No, TD, I don't get swamped when I try to be a good little camper. I get the opposite. If I'm a good little camper and post my thread in the low-traffic forum, there's no swamping. There's are only tumbleweeds.

We're talking about two different things here. :smiliehug:

Actually no we aren't but let's leave it here. And I love the new avie. What a cutie patoutie. :eusa_angel:

Then ask who moved you.

That would be immaterial. If the standard practice is that health insurance threads started in the politics forum get closed or moved to the rubber room, then it doesn't matter who moved them. They were doing what they were expected to do. It wouldn't matter which mod did it.

I'm asking for a change in policy/practice. I'm asking for latitude in where we can start our threads and gentler responses to threads posted in incorrect forums, with the goal of allowing a discussion to take root before a thread gets moved to a low traffic forum.

Dunno how many new threads there are each day, but I'm guessing it's a lot. And the handfull of mods prolly didn't volunteer to move that many threads from 1 place to another. If a thread's good it'll get read. May not give you the instant gratification you're hungry for, but over time people see 'em.

See the site coming up a lot on page 1 of google searches for many subjects so there's prolly a fair number of non-members reading them as well.

Wherever I post I always want to monitor the guest count. Straight up.

But I can see where Amelia is coming from. You get your thread on the front page right? But within 2 minutes you are bounced out by the progressive teams.

Come on this is a real deal. Let's not make a joke about it anymore. This is how it's going now.

Then ask who moved you.

That would be immaterial. If the standard practice is that health insurance threads started in the politics forum get closed or moved to the rubber room, then it doesn't matter who moved them. They were doing what they were expected to do. It wouldn't matter which mod did it.

I'm asking for a change in policy/practice. I'm asking for latitude in where we can start our threads and gentler responses to threads posted in incorrect forums, with the goal of allowing a discussion to take root before a thread gets moved to a low traffic forum.

Believe it or not they really don't have time if I'm looking back on my experience. Oh and you have no idea how funny and sad this was.

Wait a minute. I think you might have something though. I think you hit the jack pot.

I think Amelia has got it. I really think she does.

What about one forum and we make it like Thunderdome. You put your topic in. It works or it doesn't.

Just because we have a favorite song doesn't mean it's cool to blast our stereos at full volumn to share this angellic vocal performance with our neighbors. :)

Deliberately posting something in the wrong forum forcing mods to move it is the same thing. It's a ton of eatra work for Mods moving obviously misposted threads to the proper group. If they end up in zone-4 I'd interpret that as punishment and count yourself lucky that's all that happened.

Just because we have a favorite song doesn't mean it's cool to blast our stereos at full volumn to share this angellic vocal performance with our neighbors. :)

Deliberately posting something in the wrong forum forcing mods to move it is the same thing. It's a ton of eatra work for Mods moving obviously misposted threads to the proper group. If they end up in zone-4 I'd interpret that as punishment and count yourself lucky that's all that happened.

I understand her frustration though. Oh geeze louize when I am better lessons will be coming:lol:

boarding 101

The problem remains. What is the incentive to post a thread if it gets no response?

And what if it is a borderline topic? What if it is a politician's viewpoint on a particular topic? Then it could be fairly put in politics, or it could be fairly put in a more specific topical forum. So then when it gets moved to zone-4 that does seem like a punishment for what was reasonable behavior and the question comes back -- what is the incentive to post threads if they get moved to zone-4 instead of to the forum in which the moderator thought they should begin?

Sometimes I like starting threads in the lower traffic forums because I don't expect quick response in any case and would like the thread to have a chance to stay on the front page even if it is in a smaller forum. But sometimes the lack of response there is just plain depressing.

If someone is flooding a forum with inappropriate content and making busy work for the mods, that could be handled differently.

Last edited:

The problem remains. What is the incentive to post a thread if it gets no response?

And what if it is a borderline topic? What if it is a politician's viewpoint on a particular topic? Then it could be fairly put in politics, or it could be fairly put in a more specific topical forum. So then when it gets moved to zone-4 that does seem like a punishment for what was reasonable behavior and the question comes back -- what is the incentive to post threads if they get moved to zone-4 instead of to the forum in which the moderator thought they should begin?

Sometimes I like starting threads in the lower traffic forums because I don't expect quick response in any case and would like the thread to have a chance to stay on the front page even if it is in a smaller forum. But sometimes the lack of response there is just plain depressing.

If someone is flooding a forum with inappropriate content and making busy work for the mods, that could be handled differently.

I'd run with smiting and banning for anyone posting inappropriately but that's why I'm not a mod. :lol:but could look good on a resume for a texas correctional institute. just keeeeding

Amelia the reason being is that mods shouldn't have to act as janitors 24/7. When you are a member of a forum it is proper "etiquette" (for lack of a better word) to post in the proper forums. When people go to the Banana forum they expect to see threads dealing with Banana's not Almonds.

It's part of keeping the forums organized with the proper threads in the proper forum. It's SOP across any forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back