What is wrong with Gun Smoke?

longly

VIP Member
Dec 25, 2013
Sometimes one gets tired of the serious stuff, so how about a little diversion? The object of this game is what is wrong with Gun Smoke? You remember "Gun Smoke" the TV program that was on the air for twenty years. It was good entertainment but poor history.

The first question is why can‘t Matt’s part-time deputy ever be a marshal or even perhaps a full-time deputy. This is a very easy question for anyone who has any knowledge of the show and law enforcement and the legal system. Consider the social conditions of the country at the time. Perhaps Festus could get a waiver that would allow him to be a full-time deputy, but there is something that disqualifies him from ever being a U.S. Marshal; what is it.

Depends which deputy you are mentioning..The first one left to become a detective cop and the other was just a washed up film actor that managed to find a home to retire in.

It disparages the differently-abled ...

MV5BMTU0Mjk4MzYzN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzk1MzcxOA@@._V1_UY1200_CR142,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

Depends which deputy you are mentioning..The first one left to become a detective cop and the other was just a washed up film actor that managed to find a home to retire in.

Hew, I liked ken Curtis he was a good actor and an excellent singer. He never really made it big, but that is not because of his talent. I would think it had more to do with the fact that he wasn’t tall, and wasn’t practically good-looking. The world is not a fair place there are a lots of talented people that never even get a chance. It is an advantage to be good-looking. My granddaughter is a sail rep, and her looks help her make sales; it doesn't make sense, and it is not fair, but that is the way it is.

Last edited:

Hew, I liked ken Curtis he was a good actor and an excellent singer. He never really made it big, but that is not because of his talent. I would think it had more to do with the fact that he wasn’t tall, and wasn’t practically good-looking. The world is not a fair place there are a lots of talented people that never even get a chance. It is an advantage to be good-looking. my granddaughter is a sail rep, and her looks help her make sales; it doesn't make sense, and it is not fair, but that is the way it is.
She sells sails by the sea shore or sea shells? I never really cared for the show since they made Hee-Haw.

We watched it every week, from the time it was a half hour b&w show. I liked Maverick and Paladin better but we watched all the westerns. Don't have a clue about why Festus couldn't be a Marshal, never was that deep into the trivia stuff. I wouldn't mind knowing the answer though.

Hew, I liked ken Curtis he was a good actor and an excellent singer. He never really made it big, but that is not because of his talent. I would think it had more to do with the fact that he wasn’t tall, and wasn’t practically good-looking. The world is not a fair place there are a lots of talented people that never even get a chance. It is an advantage to be good-looking. my granddaughter is a sail rep, and her looks help her make sales; it doesn't make sense, and it is not fair, but that is the way it is.

Harry Dean Stanton is one of those; always liked his acting.

Well, I said it was an easy question. A Marshall or A Sheriff then the same as now was an administrative position; they usually had deputies that did the fieldwork. They mostly did paperwork. Festus couldn't read or write. so he could not maintain a logbook or send in reports; those were required duties. That is the reason he couldn't be a marshal.

The marshall was pretty slow on the draw. I'd beat him every time when I was a kid. James Arness also played "The Thing" in the 50's movie of the same name.

The best Gunsmoke was the radio version. William Conrad played Matt Dillon.

My dad had the old radio shows on reel-to-reel tape. One of my favorites was the outtakes/bloopers...

He had quite a collection of old radio shows on tape, I spent countless hours listening to them...

Forum List

Back