What Is The Real Reason Our Soldiers Have To Wear A Backwards Flag???

In my avatar, it can't be seen but I'm wearing the US flag on the left shoulder with the blue field is facing forward. The jacket is my NC Chapter jacket and when they were made we called the National Association and asked them about the wearing of the flag on the uniform. They told us it was legal for a veterans group and instructed us to have it sewn on either shoulder with the blue field forward. I chose the left with the 1st Cav patch as my combat patch. There are no ifs, ands or buts about the placement.

View attachment 329740
We had patches that went both ways when I was in....and when I was in the field we stripped everything off our Desert Camo except the flag patch....and I wore it on my left shoulder.
Regardless what the regulations are, I never bought into their explanations.
Don't tell me you believe everything the chain of command tells you.
I discovered that they could lie to us all day long, but don't you dare get caught lying to them.
I don't know how to answer you but it's a fairly new reg. I've been retired from the Army for 42 years so for me anything under 40 years is recent.
Here is one explanation and the DOD link is on the bottom.

Why is the Flag patch "backwards" on Military uniforms?
Following is a quote from the Department of Defense website...

"Thank you for your inquiry about the proper placement of the American flag on the uniform of the U.S. Armed Forces.

Army Regulation 670-1, �Wear and Appearance of Army Uniforms and Insignia,� updated most recently September 5, 2003, addresses explicitly the proper and lawful placement of the U.S. flag patch on the Army uniform.

The regulation states that when authorized for application to the proper uniform the American flag patch is to be worn, right or left shoulder, so that �the star field faces forward, or to the flag�s own right. When worn in this manner, the flag is facing to the observer�s right, and gives the effect of the flag flying in the breeze as the wearer moves forward. The appropriate replica for the right shoulder sleeve is identified as the �reverse side flag�.�

We appreciate and share your concern for the respectful display of our American flag on the uniform of the U.S. Armed Forces."

For more information on Army Regulation 670-1 please visit the following web site, http://www.usapa.army.mil/pdffiles/r670_1.pdf

Hmmm I guess that was when Bill Clinton was wearing his George Bush mask.

Man I bet the Chinese are bummed that Muddy figured out their plan to destroy America by making American troops wear the flag this way.

Really everyone- next time Muddy posts about anything- remember this totally whacko thread.

Out of curiosity when did the army put the flag patch on the fatigues in the first place? Ik ow that in the late 60's and early 70', we had no flag on our uniforms
I assume it happened when we went for rank and insignia unifomity among our allies with whom we often share bases and commanders. With similar uniforms it would be crucial to know what nationality a soldier is at a glance.
Can anyone name another country that wears their flag backwards????
It’s not backwards it’s moving forwards
Only if you're moving.

That is not what the regs say, and they have been quoted for your education. Continued argument just means you are being a prick!
Uh....I was being sarcastic.

In my avatar, it can't be seen but I'm wearing the US flag on the left shoulder with the blue field is facing forward. The jacket is my NC Chapter jacket and when they were made we called the National Association and asked them about the wearing of the flag on the uniform. They told us it was legal for a veterans group and instructed us to have it sewn on either shoulder with the blue field forward. I chose the left with the 1st Cav patch as my combat patch. There are no ifs, ands or buts about the placement.

View attachment 329740
We had patches that went both ways when I was in....and when I was in the field we stripped everything off our Desert Camo except the flag patch....and I wore it on my left shoulder.
I discovered that they could lie to us all day long, but don't you dare get caught lying to them.
I don't know how to answer you but it's a fairly new reg. I've been retired from the Army for 42 years so for me anything under 40 years is recent.

"Thank you for your inquiry about the proper placement of the American flag on the uniform of the U.S. Armed Forces.

Army Regulation 670-1, �Wear and Appearance of Army Uniforms and Insignia,� updated most recently September 5, 2003, addresses explicitly the proper and lawful placement of the U.S. flag patch on the Army uniform.

The regulation states that when authorized for application to the proper uniform the American flag patch is to be worn, right or left shoulder, so that �the star field faces forward, or to the flag�s own right. When worn in this manner, the flag is facing to the observer�s right, and gives the effect of the flag flying in the breeze as the wearer moves forward. The appropriate replica for the right shoulder sleeve is identified as the �reverse side flag�.�

We appreciate and share your concern for the respectful display of our American flag on the uniform of the U.S. Armed Forces."

For more information on Army Regulation 670-1 please visit the following web site, http://www.usapa.army.mil/pdffiles/r670_1.pdf

Man I bet the Chinese are bummed that Muddy figured out their plan to destroy America by making American troops wear the flag this way.

Really everyone- next time Muddy posts about anything- remember this totally whacko thread.
I don't think it has anything to do with the Chinese.
But I do think it has a little to do with Muslim sympathizers and Communists in our government.
Something to do with pissing on the flag symbolically.

View attachment 329740

You should see some of these soldiers today.
They let them wear Turbans now.
The plan is to weaken the military by slowly relaxing the standards.
Their primary move right now is putting a bunch of potential non-deployables in combat arms. (Women)

View attachment 329740

Are you one of those flat-Earthers that thinks that the entire government changes parties along with the White House?

Are you really this fucking stupid?

View attachment 329740

But I do think it has a little to do with Muslim sympathizers and Communists in our government.
Is this thread still going on? A pictorial representation of the flag, such as a uniform patch, is not an actual flag. The flag is all over fourth of July crap we wad up and put in the trash but it's OK because no actual flags have been dishonored.

View attachment 329740

Not sure that will help as it appear's Muds gone bye, bye, off the deep end, Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs.........

View attachment 329740

Is this thread still going on? A pictorial representation of the flag, such as a uniform patch, is not an actual flag. The flag is all over fourth of July crap we wad up and put in the trash but it's OK because no actual flags have been dishonored.

A flag, even a facsimile of a U.S. flag is only supposed to be destroyed by a fire, not by throwing it into the trash. I attend a flag burning ceremony every month at my VFW Post. The Boy Scouts perform the ceremony.

I've heard some really lame excuses why the Army wears a backwards flag patch....but it hasn't always been this way.

View attachment 328351

How the flag is displayed is important. It's not just the starts that matter on our flag...but the strips as well....so this excuse that the stars are in a place of honor is total BS.

What do you guys think?

It's not reversed. When worn as a shoulder patch the canton (blue field w/stars) is always facing forward as if marching into the wind.

It is the regulation of the Department of Defense that the American flag patch on all fighting forces’ uniforms is to be displayed with ‘the star field facing forward, or to the flag’s own right’.
It's horse shit. A piss-poor excuse is better than no excuse. WWII the Department of Defense made everyone wear it correctly. I'm a Vietnam era vet and I don't remember it being reversed. Our Department of Defense has been taken over by the UN and their Globalist friends. I believe the policy was changed in the 90s after the Chicom Clintons took the White House.

Sure you believe that, but you believe all kinds of crazy conspiracy theory crap.
This is what happens when you elect Motherfuckers that hate the country of their birth.

That's exactly what I was talking about. You believe all kinds of crazy conspiracy theory crap.
Yeah....using common-sense is a GD conspiracy to someone like you.

Your crazy beliefs are quite common among the conspiracy theory set.
Yep....crazy conspiracies = thinking on your own.

Question: Don't you think taking bribes from our enemies to weaken our military and screw over our citizens is a bad thing? When does business as usual become treason? It's all good if it makes Joe Biden and other members of congress rich thru illegal kickbacks. As long as the MSM doesn't say it's a crime, idiots like you could care less.
You need your abortions and your LBGT programs so guys who feel like a woman can molest little girls in communal bathrooms. Shit, your candidate gets away with feeling them up and sniffing their hair. Why not Transvestites? And I think it's really great that Blue states are releasing habitual criminals and sexual devients into our communities because they're afraid of these freaks coming down with COVID-19 in a sealed quarantined system we call State and Federal Prison.

Everyone is really proud of you for trying to think on your own, I'm just saying you need some training wheels on your thought processes, so you don't end up n the high weeds like you just did. Keep trying though. You'll get it right eventually.
Sorry if this goes over your head, bubble-butt.

I'd explain why I'm so cynical over the change but you wouldn't understand.

For once you are right. Most of what you post is completely un-understandable.

Out of curiosity when did the army put the flag patch on the fatigues in the first place? Ik ow that in the late 60's and early 70', we had no flag on our uniforms
I assume it happened when we went for rank and insignia unifomity among our allies with whom we often share bases and commanders. With similar uniforms it would be crucial to know what nationality a soldier is at a glance.
Only if you're moving.

That is not what the regs say, and they have been quoted for your education. Continued argument just means you are being a prick!

The biggest way to get people pissed is trying to be sarcastic and failing. You fail regularly because with you it is hard to tell what is sarcasm and innate stupidity.

Only if you're moving.

The biggest way to get people pissed is trying to be sarcastic and failing. You fail regularly because with you it is hard to tell what is sarcasm and innate stupidity.
Nope...you're just stupid.

I've heard some really lame excuses why the Army wears a backwards flag patch....but it hasn't always been this way.

View attachment 328351

How the flag is displayed is important. It's not just the starts that matter on our flag...but the strips as well....so this excuse that the stars are in a place of honor is total BS.

What do you guys think?

It's not reversed. When worn as a shoulder patch the canton (blue field w/stars) is always facing forward as if marching into the wind.

It is the regulation of the Department of Defense that the American flag patch on all fighting forces’ uniforms is to be displayed with ‘the star field facing forward, or to the flag’s own right’.
It's horse shit. A piss-poor excuse is better than no excuse. WWII the Department of Defense made everyone wear it correctly. I'm a Vietnam era vet and I don't remember it being reversed. Our Department of Defense has been taken over by the UN and their Globalist friends. I believe the policy was changed in the 90s after the Chicom Clintons took the White House.

Sure you believe that, but you believe all kinds of crazy conspiracy theory crap.
This is what happens when you elect Motherfuckers that hate the country of their birth.

That's exactly what I was talking about. You believe all kinds of crazy conspiracy theory crap.
Yeah....using common-sense is a GD conspiracy to someone like you.

Your crazy beliefs are quite common among the conspiracy theory set.
Yep....crazy conspiracies = thinking on your own.

Question: Don't you think taking bribes from our enemies to weaken our military and screw over our citizens is a bad thing? When does business as usual become treason? It's all good if it makes Joe Biden and other members of congress rich thru illegal kickbacks. As long as the MSM doesn't say it's a crime, idiots like you could care less.
You need your abortions and your LBGT programs so guys who feel like a woman can molest little girls in communal bathrooms. Shit, your candidate gets away with feeling them up and sniffing their hair. Why not Transvestites? And I think it's really great that Blue states are releasing habitual criminals and sexual devients into our communities because they're afraid of these freaks coming down with COVID-19 in a sealed quarantined system we call State and Federal Prison.

Everyone is really proud of you for trying to think on your own, I'm just saying you need some training wheels on your thought processes, so you don't end up n the high weeds like you just did. Keep trying though. You'll get it right eventually.
Sorry if this goes over your head, bubble-butt.

I'd explain why I'm so cynical over the change but you wouldn't understand.

For once you are right. Most of what you post is completely un-understandable.
You mean unintelligible.
And clearly you wouldn't understand.

View attachment 329740

You should see some of these soldiers today.
They let them wear Turbans now.
The plan is to weaken the military by slowly relaxing the standards.
Their primary move right now is putting a bunch of potential non-deployables in combat arms. (Women)

Those are Sikhs.

Why are women non-deployable?

View attachment 329740

Bullshit.
It is an actual flag and this has to be treated with respect.
BTW, do you even know why we wear the damned thing in the first place?

View attachment 328351

What do you guys think?

The question should be....who is embroidering flags that way?

View attachment 329740

Bullshit.
It is an actual flag and this has to be treated with respect.
BTW, do you even know why we wear the damned thing in the first place?
"the damn thing"? Not much respect there, Skippy.

You know that isn't true.
Reversing Belguim's flag changes it...same with Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland, France, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia,.......

Which has not a damned thing to do with the United States. So even mentioning it is pointless.

I do not care what they do, nor how they display their flag. And in equal measure, I could not care less what they think about how we do it.

Some countries still have their soldiers do that silly goose step. Some still put their Admirals in silly pointed for and aft caps. Some drape so many medals and awards off of their uniforms that it looks like they are performers in a really bad opera.

f2ab240feac661dee2fb7d915b2969b5.jpg

Hey, if they think that looks great, they can knock themselves out as far as I am concerned. I have better things in my life to worry about than how other countries wear their uniforms.
If that's the case, why bring it up?
Wait...who started this thread?

View attachment 328351

What do you guys think?

The question should be....who is embroidering flags that way?

Because they have a contract that says to make them that way?

View attachment 328351

What do you guys think?

For pity sake.

The flag isn't backwards.

Imagine a flagpole with a flag in a soldier's hands as he runs forward on a calm day.

If he ran.past you, right to left, the flag on his right shoulder would be in the same configuration as the flag you see on the pole.

The Field of Stars always leads

Forum List

Back