"What is the purpose of government?"

freyasman

Platinum Member
Apr 1, 2020
Texas
I agree with Matt Christiansen that this is a fundamental question; the answer you give to it will define your perspective and attitude towards most everything in life.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

― C. S. Lewis

I agree with Matt Christiansen that this is a fundamental question; the answer you give to it will define your perspective and attitude towards most everything in life.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

― C. S. Lewis

Hey tough guy.....what happened to MP over at PJs? Asking for a friend....(JoeBlam)

― C. S. Lewis

Familiarize yourself with the Preamble of the United States Constitution.

• Banned

― C. S. Lewis

Hey tough guy.....what happened to MP over at PJs? Asking for a friend....(JoeBlam)

MP?

The purpose if Government is to do what needs doing as determined by....

We the People

As a Democrat, do you feel you are properly represented, that you get some say it what needs doing? With Bernie getting screwed and super delegates, plus all the money involved, do you have any say? Is what Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer want the same thing that you want? I can tell you most Republicans are horrified by the behavior of Republican leadership over the last few decades. The recent Mitch McConnell thread deosn't show much love for him on either side. If you think the government is simply doing what needs doing, you better have impressive safe guards so that the average citizen gets a voice that matters.

A Government of the people, by the people and for the people

― C. S. Lewis

I bet you think it doesn't back up the primes of the thread, note to commie, you'd be wrong.

Give sanctuary to illegal aliens without our consent . Because , who cares? We never voted for this shit, people lose jobs and homes. Because liberal progressive Democrats are such humanitarians worrying about foreign nationals and throw the rest of us under the bus. How nice for them virtue signaling like that.

What is the purpose of government? When our local so called "government " gives sanctuary to illegals or lessens or stops the enforcement of misdemeanors, then targets white people with "hate laws". Its not the purpose but the overall effect we have to look at.

The purpose if Government is to do what needs doing as determined by....

We the People

The will of "we the people" is in constant state of flux. One day we will focus all of our national resources on fighting the flu. The next day our primary concern will be on kids on milk cartons and violent video games.

The will of the people is easily manipulated. We can be just as easily be convinced to save the whales or kill the Jews, depending on who is delivering the message.

The will of the people must be taken into account, but there must first be fundamental limits on what government is allowed to do in the name of "we the people".

I'm for erring on the side of extreme caution when it comes to what we allow our governments to do.

― C. S. Lewis

I bet you think it doesn't back up the primes of the thread, note to commie, you'd be wrong.

Commie? LOL.

This capitalist could probably buy and sell you 20 times over.

Oh...... I don't know. I got banned from over there for calling out the owner and mods for not following their own rules.

Good man. She hasn't posted in a couple weeks....mighty peculiar. I don't care for her but I don't want to see her get this virus or suffer from any of her other ailments. I moved from BB to PJs when Slate closed BB and was one of the very few who actually made $100...the "jack" in PJ. They refused to pay me another $100 I'd earned and banned me for demanding they follow their own rules. They screwed dozens of posters out of the money they owed them and then sold the site to the clown in Ohio.

Well the purpose of the US government is to provide a safe place for the very wealthy to do what ever they want and make as much as they want while the mass of people are distracted with hick flag waving and guns.

Forum List

Back