What IS the Pompatous of Love?

boedicca

Uppity Water Nymph from the Land of Funk
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 12, 2007
Steve Miller's "The Joker" was on the radio awhile ago.

Which begs the eternal question:

Just what is "The Pompatous of Love"?

This is the best I can do...lol.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRmqcKELlIs]YouTube - The Pompatus Of Love Trailer[/ame]

LOL!

A movie makes it even more officially an Eternal Question.

Vernon Green - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Vernon Green (May 1, 1937 – December 24, 2000) was leader of the rhythm and blues band The Medallions. He wrote the 1954 song "The Letter" which contained the nonsense lyric, "the puppetutes of love," which was later picked up by Steve Miller as "the Pompatus of love." According to an interview with Green, puppetutes was "A term I coined to mean a secret paper-doll fantasy figure [thus puppet], who would be my everything and bear my children."

That's just too danged logical-like (but thanks for the G2).

I was really hoping for something much more sinister.

If you check with just about any good medical dictionary, you will find that the "Pompatous of Love" is a rash that men get under their testicales if they are unlucky and don't use protection during sexual intercourse with a person who is afflicted with this particular aliment. It generally goes away on it's own but not very quickly.

Now that's the kind of theory that makes something an Eternal Question!

Vernon Green - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Vernon Green (May 1, 1937 – December 24, 2000) was leader of the rhythm and blues band The Medallions. He wrote the 1954 song "The Letter" which contained the nonsense lyric, "the puppetutes of love," which was later picked up by Steve Miller as "the Pompatus of love." According to an interview with Green, puppetutes was "A term I coined to mean a secret paper-doll fantasy figure [thus puppet], who would be my everything and bear my children."

That is what I get for not using Wikipedia as my first source.

Here are a couple:

2705.jpg

Those look like they belong to the "Puffalapagus of Love" category.

Forum List

Back