What is the best way to get rid of mosquitoes?

Chuckt

Gold Member
Jul 3, 2013

We don't have standing water but we are near a crick and even though we have a few bats, we have swarms of mosquitoes.

I used an electric bug zapper one year and I sprayed cutter and then I got concerned because my wife had optic neuritis so I didn't know if cutter and the inflammation was related.

If you would like to get rid of mosquitos without using a carcinogen, invest in a purple martin house where they are bothering you. Purple martins will rid you of mosquitos and other problematic bugs. They like apartment dwelling, so don't be surprised if your purple martin house has 12 to 20 pads. Keep the bird feeder full (other birds like mosquito snacks, too), and eliminate mosquito breeding grounds keeping in mind that mosquitos can breed in half an ounce of water. It helps to weed gardens, clean the birdbath daily, fill low places in the lawn, eliminate tree stumps and any litter around the house foundation that can collect any water. Clean the gutters of leaves and debris to eliminate water collection pools, also.

If you have a pond, stock it with fish to keep down the mosquito larvae that would otherwise domino there. Mosquitos are repelled by a number of herbs you could intersperse with flowers that you plant, and they are particularly unfond of basil, lemon grass, citronella, rosemary, catnip, marigolds, garlic, and chrysanthemums.

If you have areas of collection places of water around, place a few drops of vegetable oil in each puddle or accumulation area, and that will deter female mosquitos from laying eggs there. They just won't do it and will fly elsewhere to do their reproductive deposits.

Birds eat a lot of other insects, too. A lot of bird people have properties completely free of mosquitos in mosquito country. Just sayin'. ;)

We don't have standing water but we are near a crick and even though we have a few bats, we have swarms of mosquitoes.

I used an electric bug zapper one year and I sprayed cutter and then I got concerned because my wife had optic neuritis so I didn't know if cutter and the inflammation was related.
Dragon flies and mosquito fish.

Oh please never use a bug zapper. It kills more good than bad.

Really simple is to use mineral oil. If you have standing water pour mineral oil from your local pharmacy. It's cheap.

What happens is the larvae of the mosquito still must breath air despite the fact that they are aquatic. As they go to the surface of whatever water they are in they will not be able to break the mineral oil film.

And then they drown. And being mineral oil it is not toxic to the environment.

Oh and btw. This info to you is brought by my husband. My science guy. But this shit works. :lol:

Well I live seriously in a swamp. I know I know. How could one day a girl who loves Vogue turn into a swamp bunny?

That's a story for another day.

Lemon balm is big. Mint is so big. There are natural repellants that the little buggers hate but I don't have to kill them.

Here in lies the quandry I face. Skeeters are the best pollinators on the planet. If we did not have them we cannot survive.

That's the TD talking. So I am faced with keeping them at bay. But loving what they do.

Drain standing water, rub butter over your entire body, and cook yourself in the sun.

Or, like most pests, just ignore them and they will go bother somebody else.

If you got mosquitoes, you have standing water.

That said, I have a friend that has always had mosquitoes, and I suggested that they pant some catnip, and takes very little care. It will grow almost anywhere, and contains a chemical that is actually a stronger repellent than DEET.

No more mosquitoes.

Bonus, cats love it.

Lizards eat the things.
We have loads of them in the house, and very few mosquitoes.

New Topics

Forum List

Back