What is Privilege?

[
Priveledge is

having health insurance, and knowing you won’t be forced to choose between medical care and food.

not have to worry about being turned down for a job interview because you have a “black sounding” name

not having to worry about the lead content in the water your children are drinking

having paid sick leave...so you don’t have to make the choice between going to work sick...or losing pay

knowing your health insurance covers birth control

being able to let your child play outside, with worrying about the drug deals going on at the corner...or that a gang may decide to make a point with a drive by shooting

not having metal detectors at tbe entrances to your child’s school

having parents who can pay your college tuition

inheritence
Name is your parents choice so blame them or change it
Letting your kids outside in a shit neighborhood is a personal choice, MOVE.
Not having metal detectors well if blacks weren't so damn violent wouldn't need them!
No that's not privilege that means your parents worked hard and have good jobs and can afford that. I am white and my kids know I can't afford that so they better get scholarships.

Priveledge is having the luxury of being able to move.

Priveledge is not having to move, not having to change your name.

I know plenty of whites that moved.

And blacks can move.

I don't understand how you can call not having to change your name "white privilege" when you choose the name.

A white person that had a ridiculous name, is less likely to get a job, just as much a black person with a ridiculous name.

Pick a name that fits the country you are in. It's not that difficult.

No. It isn’t a “ridiculous” name, it is a name that sounds culturally African American. So...culturally white names are ok....

If you live in Africa, and want an African name, and you will likely end up doing well... because you are in Africa, and have an African name.

This is why Asians when they come to the US, get an American name. So they can succeed... which is why they do better than White people in American culture. They are not in their former Asian culture, and they know it, which is why they make the wise and economically successful choice of blending in with American culture.

I think those names are ridiculous, and I have a right to my opinion, just like you do. Freedom of speech works both ways.

Why do I think it is ridiculous? Because you have zero in common with Africans. Zero. I've been around Africans my whole life. Most of them were immigrants. The difference in culture, outlook, family values, crime, drugs, everything... is entirely different.

I've never met an American black man, that reminded me of anything from Africa.

And I never met an African immigrant that reminded me of anything of American Blacks.

Having some goofy name, doesn't make you any more African, than calling myself Saito would make me Japanese.

All that does is alienate you from the culture you are in, while not making you any more like the culture you are not. That is dumb. Period. That is absolutely stupid.

Again, my opinion. Don't care what you think.

You can do whatever you want. Everyone can. Free country. But freedom of choice, doesn't mean freedom of consequence. I have the freedom to blow every single dollar I earn on Alcohol. That doesn't mean I have the freedom from the consequences of foreclosure on my house, and repo the car, and losing my family, and ending up homeless.

Similarly, you have the freedom to do whatever you want with your name. That doesn't mean you have the freedom to force people to hire you, when have some name they can't pronounce that looks goofy, like La'quisha.

By the way, the same is true of Whites. You name your white kid "Saxby" and don't be surprised if they have a little harder time finding a job.

What exactly is an American name? Dakota? Madison? Krystal? Tiffany? Caitlyn? Popular names now...unheard of years ago.

How about La’quisha? Not an African name. An African AMERICAN name. Part of American culture. For a long time.

Why should they have to change their names to a white sounding name to be considered for a job? That seems rather racist to me.

[
Priveledge is

having health insurance, and knowing you won’t be forced to choose between medical care and food.

not have to worry about being turned down for a job interview because you have a “black sounding” name

not having to worry about the lead content in the water your children are drinking

having paid sick leave...so you don’t have to make the choice between going to work sick...or losing pay

being able to let your child play outside, with worrying about the drug deals going on at the corner...or that a gang may decide to make a point with a drive by shooting

inheritence
Not having metal detectors well if blacks weren't so damn violent wouldn't need them!
No that's not privilege that means your parents worked hard and have good jobs and can afford that. I am white and my kids know I can't afford that so they better get scholarships.

And blacks can move.

I don't understand how you can call not having to change your name "white privilege" when you choose the name.

A white person that had a ridiculous name, is less likely to get a job, just as much a black person with a ridiculous name.

No. It isn’t a “ridiculous” name, it is a name that sounds culturally African American. So...culturally white names are ok....

If you live in Africa, and want an African name, and you will likely end up doing well... because you are in Africa, and have an African name.

This is why Asians when they come to the US, get an American name. So they can succeed... which is why they do better than White people in American culture. They are not in their former Asian culture, and they know it, which is why they make the wise and economically successful choice of blending in with American culture.

I think those names are ridiculous, and I have a right to my opinion, just like you do. Freedom of speech works both ways.

Why do I think it is ridiculous? Because you have zero in common with Africans. Zero. I've been around Africans my whole life. Most of them were immigrants. The difference in culture, outlook, family values, crime, drugs, everything... is entirely different.

And I never met an African immigrant that reminded me of anything of American Blacks.

Having some goofy name, doesn't make you any more African, than calling myself Saito would make me Japanese.

All that does is alienate you from the culture you are in, while not making you any more like the culture you are not. That is dumb. Period. That is absolutely stupid.

You can do whatever you want. Everyone can. Free country. But freedom of choice, doesn't mean freedom of consequence. I have the freedom to blow every single dollar I earn on Alcohol. That doesn't mean I have the freedom from the consequences of foreclosure on my house, and repo the car, and losing my family, and ending up homeless.

Similarly, you have the freedom to do whatever you want with your name. That doesn't mean you have the freedom to force people to hire you, when have some name they can't pronounce that looks goofy, like La'quisha.

By the way, the same is true of Whites. You name your white kid "Saxby" and don't be surprised if they have a little harder time finding a job.

What exactly is an American name? Dakota? Madison? Krystal? Tiffany? Caitlyn? Popular names now...unheard of years ago.

How about La’quisha? Not an African name. An African AMERICAN name. Part of American culture. For a long time.

Why should they have to change their names to a white sounding name to be considered for a job? That seems rather racist to me.
Silly stuff. Black people are not being held back economically because of their names but because they have by far the lowest graduation rates from both high school and college of any minority in the US other than Native Americans. Have you no shame at all?

[
Priveledge is

inheritence

And blacks can move.

Silly stuff. Black people are not being held back economically because of their names but because they have by far the lowest graduation rates from both high school and college of any minority in the US other than Native Americans. Have you no shame at all?

It isn’t “silly stuff”, it is to make a point, an easy point, at how subtle discrimination can be, and most of us whites don’t even Have think about our names.

The rest...well, you are taking a complex issue, imo, and trying to simplify it.

Why do they have the lowest graduation rates?
Is it the same across the economic spectrum?
Does it vary according to region?
What are the schools like?
What are tbe neighborhoods like?

[
Priveledge is

inheritence

And blacks can move.

It isn’t “silly stuff”, it is to make a point, an easy point, at how subtle discrimination can be, and most of us whites don’t even Have think about our names.

The rest...well, you are taking a complex issue, imo, and trying to simplify it.

Why do they have the lowest graduation rates?
Is it the same across the economic spectrum?
Does it vary according to region?
What are the schools like?
What are tbe neighborhoods like?
Bullshit. People with Jewish, Italian and Irish names and people with eastern European sounding names have all suffered from from discrimination in employment and still do today, yet they have all prospered. Notice, all these groups are white, your dichotomy of black and white is an expression of your own racism.

It is not complex at all. If you go to college and get a degree in a field in which there are jobs, you will get a job and proper to the level your abilities allow. If you don't graduate or get a degree in a field in which there are no jobs, in most cases you will not prosper. But you dismiss these obvious facts in favor of making up boogeymen to explain the failure of some black Americans to prosper.

Why do black Americans have a lower graduation rate than all other groups? Obviously the reasons lie in the black culture they come from.

... Why do black Americans have a lower graduation rate than all other groups? Obviously the reasons lie in the black culture they come from.

It's for sure not intelligence. In an IQ-test-series in German schools after world war 2 we found the intelligence of black and white children was the same. Differences had to do with the social situation and not with the color of the skin.

In my opinion, the Honorable Joseph R. Biden, Jr., is an excellent example of so-called "privilege."

He has been in government "service" for 40 years. (Give someone else a chance, will ya!)

He (and his family) have treated Delaware as their own private estate.

He is the presumed nominee of the Democratic Party for the presidency of the United States of America even though he is mentally frail, physically frail, and a pleasant but bumbling mediocrity.

In my opinion, the Honorable Joseph R. Biden, Jr., is an excellent example of so-called "privilege."

He has been in government "service" for 40 years. (Give someone else a chance, will ya!)

He (and his family) have treated Delaware as their own private estate.

He is the presumed nominee of the Democratic Party for the presidency of the United States of America even though he is mentally frail, physically frail, and a pleasant but bumbling mediocrity.

Trump was born in an ivory plane over NY, Florida. And this everlasting president of the shithole country USA is nearly nowhere welcome all over the planet. But Corona is so free to ignore his ignorance and to bomb the whole world economy down. And how acts Trump? He also bombs the world economy down. Finally a happy end: Trump found someone, who understands him and shares his darwinism. Happy honeymoon, Lady Corona and Lord Trump.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back