What is our obligation to the poor?

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2004
Minnesota
Ive been thinking about it this morning and I was wondering what our obligation to the poor is. Im not talking about what we should outsource to the government or what the government should do. But what do we as individuals have a responsibility to do?

I keep thinking of the words of a hymn:

"We'll go to the poor like our Captain of old. And visit the weary, the hungry, and cold. We'll cheer up their hearts with the news that he bore and point them to Zion and life evermore."

I believe we as individuals have a duty and privilege to serve the poor. And that when we try to outsource those responsibilities to the government and to others, than we fail to give and recieve the blessings we could otherwise have.

What do you think?

I do contribute to the poor. I also volunteer a lot of my time to them. We also give away LOTS to veterans organizations and shelters (food, clothing, appliances, etc.).

Doesn't everyone do this?

Ive been thinking about it this morning and I was wondering what our obligation to the poor is. Im not talking about what we should outsource to the government or what the government should do. But what do we as individuals have a responsibility to do?

"We'll go to the poor like our Captain of old. And visit the weary, the hungry, and cold. We'll cheer up their hearts with the news that he bore and point them to Zion and life evermore."

I believe we as individuals have a duty and privilege to serve the poor. And that when we try to outsource those responsibilities to the government and to others, than we fail to give and recieve the blessings we could otherwise have.

What do you think?

Doesn't make much difference what you believe. The facts are:

1) There are over 900,000,000 in the world who are dying from starvation or suffering from malnutrition...mostly children

2) Church folks drop by for an hour and a half a week and leave their money which is used for preacher's homes and salaries, travel expenses, oak or mahagony pews, building maintenance or expansion, expensive musical instruments and sound systems, stained glass, steeples, youth programs, missionaries who travel to other countries with the precise purpose of changing their culture. They leave there feeling good and believing they have done their part.

Jesus told the rich young ruler to sell what he had and give it to the poor. He was saddened to hear it.

What do you think?

1) There are over 900,000,000 in the world who are dying from starvation or suffering from malnutrition...mostly children

2) Church folks drop by for an hour and a half a week and leave their money which is used for preacher's homes and salaries, travel expenses, oak or mahagony pews, building maintenance or expansion, expensive musical instruments and sound systems, stained glass, steeples, youth programs, missionaries who travel to other countries with the precise purpose of changing their culture. They leave there feeling good and believing they have done their part.

Jesus told the rich young ruler to sell what he had and give it to the poor. He was saddened to hear it.

Simply not true. a lot of churches have separate funds for different projects. And the money is divided amongst them or sought specifically for a sole purpose.

I realize it is expected of some of you to bash religion but perhaps you could get your facts straight first.

The social compact should be simple.

-Food and water.
-Shelter.
-Health care.
-Education.

Americans should not let other Americans live in squalor. Citizens get the basics. Any thing more you have to work your ass off for..

What do you think?

Simply not true. a lot of churches have separate funds for different projects. And the money is divided amongst them or sought specifically for a sole purpose.

I realize it is expected of some of you to bash religion but perhaps you could get your facts straight first.

I was baptized Baptist on a spring morning in 1957. I was in the church until I was over 60 years old. We tithed our gross income. I taught Sunday school. I was a member of the Brotherhood, I was on the visitation committee, the building committee etc. I worked with RA boys and helped with vacation bible school. I attended youth retreats and assisted in the planning of everything our church was involved in. I can understand you needing to believe the church uses your money for the poor and needy but guess what...that's a lie. I saw where every penny of our donations ended up. The poor were lucky if they received anything.

I was baptized Baptist on a spring morning in 1957. I was in the church until I was over 60 years old. We tithed our gross income. I taught Sunday school. I was a member of the Brotherhood, I was on the visitation committee, the building committee etc. I worked with RA boys and helped with vacation bible school. I attended youth retreats and assisted in the planning of everything our church was involved in. I can understand you needing to believe the church uses your money for the poor and needy but guess what...that's a lie. I saw where every penny of our donations ended up. The poor were lucky if they received anything.

That would be YOUR church not EVERY church and further if you participated in it you are to blame for raising no fuss over it. Many churches do NOT follow YOUR example, claiming they do is a lie.

What do you think?

http://www.usmessageboard.com/general-discussion/142633-dropping-off-at-the-food-bank.html

-Food and water.
-Shelter.
-Health care.
-Education.

Americans should not let other Americans live in squalor. Citizens get the basics. Any thing more you have to work your ass off for..

The problem being.... the poor. Nothing is ever enough.

Food and water is not good enough... steak and wine is
Shelter... i give you the housing crisis of wanting more then you can afford
Health care... They want everything that the "rich" afford for themselves without limits.
Education... they get 1-12 for free.

I agree.... the basics....they rest.... work your ass off for.

-Food and water.
-Shelter.
-Health care.
-Education.

And of course you're for spreading the wealth and punishing the rich, right?

Last edited:

-Food and water.
-Shelter.
-Health care.
-Education.

that is what they want.....

Last edited:

-Food and water.
-Shelter.
-Health care.
-Education.

Health care... They want everything that the "rich" afford for themselves without limits.

We're the only industrialized country in the world where 500 companies make profits off of sick people. Then... we still rank 37th in overall health. Being the compassionate individual that I am I hope your stomach cancer doesn't cause too much pain.

What do you think?

What is our duty to our family? To our children?

Yes, it's better if we can handle it ourselves, but sometimes we can't. I have an autistic child that is now thankfully placed with the state. We couldn't afford to do that for him on our own, we need the governments help.

If you have a brother that is down on his luck, you help him as best you can, but isn't it nice if our country/government also helps him?

-Food and water.
-Shelter.
-Health care.
-Education.

We're the only industrialized country in the world where 500 companies make profits off of sick people. Then... we still rank 37th in overall health. Being the compassionate individual that I am I hope your stomach cancer doesn't cause too much pain.

So far so good.. no stomach cancer....
I will however be happy to tell my oncologist what you said about pain. As i am more then happy to pay for what ever is prescribed.

So far so good.. no stomach cancer....
I will however be happy to tell my oncologist what you said about pain. As i am more then happy to pay for what ever is prescribed.

How old are you? I'm 77 and haven't had anything like that either but a brother-in-law fought multiple myeloma for five years before he died. Chemotherapy treatments ranged from $9,000 to $14,000 a dose and the stem cell transplants rounded at about $10,000. He had no insurance because he worked in food service managing restaurants for 50 years but my sister's insurance covered him. She retired from Lockheed Martin. I repeat...we're the only industrialized nation in the world where 500 companies make profits off of sick people.

People who are against universal, single payer insurance already have some kind of good insurance. What they're against is taking care of the poor who have nothing and no hopes of ever getting anything. Damn easy to feel that way if you already have it made.

What do you think?

Number 2 isnt a problem when you have a lay ministry.

-Food and water.
-Shelter.
-Health care.
-Education.

You saw that, where, in my post exactly?

The major problem we have right now is the unbridled concentration of wealth. The founders spoke against it. Most economists caution against that as well. And when it happens to a huge extent..generally revolution follows.

There's nothing wrong with becoming wealthy from your hard work, innovation and fortitude. There is something wrong when profit is so unevenly distributed that even when you work hard you make barely enough to survive, and those that are making the that wealth are controlling the political process as well.

-Food and water.
-Shelter.
-Health care.
-Education.

The basics include an x-box, right?

-Food and water.
-Shelter.
-Health care.
-Education.

You saw that, where, in my post exactly?

The major problem we have right now is the unbridled concentration of wealth. The founders spoke against it. Most economists caution against that as well. And when it happens to a huge extent..generally revolution follows.

There's nothing wrong with becoming wealthy from your hard work, innovation and fortitude. There is something wrong when profit is so unevenly distributed that even when you work hard you make barely enough to survive, and those that are making the that wealth are controlling the political process as well.

So you are for force ably removing other peoples wealth to be distributed as some lefty feel good politician wants? You advocate rebellion against the rich? Tell us, what is the proper amount of wealth distribution?

New Topics

Forum List

Back