What is more important, freedom or safety?

Votto

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2012

That has been a question that seems to have plagued mankind since day one. But looking at the history of mankind, the answer seems that most prefer safety over freedom. But it was not long ago that a band of rebels formed a country who preferred freedom.

This article condemns Sweden for choosing freedom over safety during the Covid crisis. It points out that the death rate in Sweden was 10 times the death rate of its neighbors who did lock down during Covid.

The bias of the author of this article is apparent by the following:

When Sweden opted for a no-lockdown strategy in March 2020, scientists were still sorting out how deadly and contagious the virus was. But already, according to email exchanges published by freelance journalist Emanuel Karlsten and the Swedish newspaper Expressen, Tegnell was considering allowing the virus to infect young, healthy people as a means of increasing immunity in the population.

Now listen to the disconnect:

Hanson said she was "absolutely disgusted" by Tegnell's approach because it presumed knowledge that scientists didn't have at the time.
"Is he God, or even above?" she said. "That's what was terrible with the Swedish approach: the supremacy."

Did you here that? Those giving people the best information on the issue and letting people decide for themselves was playing God. How messed up is that?

It is glad to see that the article gave the other side some love though

Farina said one benefit of Sweden's approach, however, may have been less stress, anxiety, or depression among its residents.
The latest World Happiness Report showed that Sweden remained one of the happiest countries in the world in 2020, based on how residents rated their quality of life and reported experiencing positive or negative emotions. But the report also found that prioritizing an open economy wasn't conducive to overall happiness.

Imagine that, choosing freedom instead of safety for the pursuit of happiness. Now where I have I heard that before?

And did the article go into all the deaths that result from anxiety and depression and the rest from countries who did lockdown? Hell no, but I'm sure they would exceed deaths from Covid, you just will never hear of those stats is all.

Just glad to see that there are still people like this left in the world somewhere.

And even if you don't buy into letting people have their freedom, the fact is that now we have scientific evidence into both approaches, at least, concerning Covid related outcomes. I doubt we will ever have any scientific evidence showing the ill effects of lockdowns like heart attacks and alcoholism and drug overdoses and suicides, etc. because it would not be PC to do so.

But at the end of the day, what is more important? Your freedom and a higher chance of death, or being told what to do 24/7 with a little lower chance of death?

Which one are you?

Last edited:

That has been a question that seems to have plagued mankind since day one. But looking at the history of mankind, the answer seems that most prefer safety over freedom. But it was not long ago that a band of rebels formed a country who preferred freedom.

This article condemns Sweden for choosing freedom over safety during the Covid crisis. It points out that the death rate in Sweden was 10 times the death rate of its neighbors who did lock down during Covid.
You gotta find a happy medium.

Without Freedom you have no Safety

1629641137118.png

The bias of the author of this article is apparent by the following:

When Sweden opted for a no-lockdown strategy in March 2020, scientists were still sorting out how deadly and contagious the virus was. But already, according to email exchanges published by freelance journalist Emanuel Karlsten and the Swedish newspaper Expressen, Tegnell was considering allowing the virus to infect young, healthy people as a means of increasing immunity in the population.

Now listen to the disconnect:

Hanson said she was "absolutely disgusted" by Tegnell's approach because it presumed knowledge that scientists didn't have at the time.
"Is he God, or even above?" she said. "That's what was terrible with the Swedish approach: the supremacy."

Did you here that? Those giving people the best information on the issue and letting people decide for themselves was playing God. How messed up is that?

It is glad to see that the article gave the other side some love though

Farina said one benefit of Sweden's approach, however, may have been less stress, anxiety, or depression among its residents.
The latest World Happiness Report showed that Sweden remained one of the happiest countries in the world in 2020, based on how residents rated their quality of life and reported experiencing positive or negative emotions. But the report also found that prioritizing an open economy wasn't conducive to overall happiness.

Imagine that, choosing freedom instead of safety for the pursuit of happiness. Now where I have I heard that before?

And did the article go into all the deaths that result from anxiety and depression and the rest from countries who did lockdown? Hell no, but I'm sure they would exceed deaths from Covid, you just will never hear of those stats is all.

Just glad to see that there are still people like this left in the world somewhere.

And even if you don't buy into letting people have their freedom, the fact is that now we have scientific evidence into both approaches, at least, concerning Covid related outcomes. I doubt we will ever have any scientific evidence showing the ill effects of lockdowns like heart attacks and alcoholism and drug overdoses and suicides, etc.
I believe that it was Benjamin Franklin that said: "Those who would give up their freedom in exchange for safety and security, deserve neither."

Subtract 60% of the death by guns via the suicides. Those that are absolutely determined to kill themselves will just quickly find a different way to do themselves in.
You only hear about deaths by guns. Why is it you never hear about lives saved by guns? It may even be unknowable. I mean, if you know your neighbor has an AR 15, are you going to make sure you don't mess with him?

Statistics are so agenda oriented.

And I'll give you an example. I read an article from the Left wing Huffington Post from 2008 about how an economic slow down of 1% kills off about 100,000 people when the media was trying to create fear about the coming credit crisis. I read it when Covid hit in 2020 though to see the ill health effects of shutting down the economy, ill effects like depression and drug abuse, heart attacks, etc. But shortly after I saw the article, it disappeared.

How crazy is that?

Also, you secure the border and stop drugs and gangs coming across and imagine how much gun violence would go away entirely.

Forum List

Back