What is meant "Hotel California"?

rupol2000

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2021
It's some kind of metaphor, what does it mean? What did they mean?

Also, what is he singing about here:

So I called up the Captain
Please bring me my wine
He said, 'We haven't had that spirit here"
"Since 1969"

Does this have anything to do with California's alcohol bans? Has there been a ban since 1969?

Please bring me my wine
"Since 1969"

Does this have anything to do with California's alcohol bans? Has there been a ban since 1969?

What bans?

The Eagles have given its real meaning as a way of speaking out against corruption, greed and hedonism of the music industry in the 1970’s. The song is metaphorical. Henley even said that, they didn’t literally mean California, it’s all about being consumed by ego, absorbed by pleasure and self-righteousness.

We use to believe it was about Camarillo state hospital for mental patients... when they said you can check in but you can never leave... but we were wrong....@Flash nailed it....

One time, James and my brother were way up in the mountains and stopped at this little bar to get a drink (and probably ask directions, but James would die before admitting it)

Anyway- there were about a dozen fellas in there and as they walked in, the chatter stopped. They all stared at James and Matt. Someone locked the door and another guy put Hotel California on the jukebox. James said he got sweaty and was reaching for a bar school when the laughter erupted and they said it was one of their favorite pranks.

They're lucky those were his pre-carry days.

• Banned
The Eagles have given its real meaning as a way of speaking out against corruption, greed and hedonism of the music industry in the 1970’s. The song is metaphorical. Henley even said that, they didn’t literally mean California, it’s all about being consumed by ego, absorbed by pleasure and self-righteousness.
I think he lied. Mention of the word "California" clearly has a political connotation.

Please bring me my wine
"Since 1969"

Well, what I know, Hotel California was a state mental hospital in Camarillo, California. It closed down in 1997. I visited it a few times while going to college for required visits in psychology classes. There were all sorts of mental illness sections from the criminally insane to kids and adults with autism. There were always crazy stories about that place. In 2002, the California State University system took control and opened it back up as a state college, California State University Channel Islands. Many of the original buildings are still there used for classrooms. Stories from students and faculty say it is haunted. They have built new buildings as well and housing for faculty and students.
The meaning of the words have never been cleared up by the Eagles. But, as I mentioned, many thought the place was always haunted. There is claim the Eagles or one of the band members while staying there (for an unknown reason) had these hauntings going on. If you look at the cover of the 1976 Hotel California album and the skyline of the Cal State Channel Islands campus, the similarity is undeniable. It's possible that the site did inspire the Eagles, but concerns over retaining the "Hotel California" trademark led their lawyers to recommend to the band members that they deny the mental hospital as the inspiration for the song. That's why the members say it wasn't the mental hospital. But, it was.

One time, James and my brother were way up in the mountains and stopped at this little bar to get a drink (and probably ask directions, but James would die before admitting it)

Anyway- there were about a dozen fellas in there and as they walked in, the chatter stopped. They all stared at James and Matt. Someone locked the door and another guy put Hotel California on the jukebox. James said he got sweaty and was reaching for a bar school when the laughter erupted and they said it was one of their favorite pranks.

They're lucky those were his pre-carry days.

Please bring me my wine
"Since 1969"

Good question. At least "American Pie"( Don McClean's) has been convincingly explained.

Well, what I know, Hotel California was a state mental hospital in Camarillo, California. It closed down in 1997. I visited it a few times while going to college for required visits in psychology classes. There were all sorts of mental illness sections from the criminally insane to kids and adults with autism. There were always crazy stories about that place. In 2002, the California State University system took control and opened it back up as a state college, California State University Channel Islands. Many of the original buildings are still there used for classrooms. Stories from students and faculty say it is haunted. They have built new buildings as well and housing for faculty and students.
The meaning of the words have never been cleared up by the Eagles. But, as I mentioned, many thought the place was always haunted. There is claim the Eagles or one of the band members while staying there (for an unknown reason) had these hauntings going on. If you look at the cover of the 1976 Hotel California album and the skyline of the Cal State Channel Islands campus, the similarity is undeniable. It's possible that the site did inspire the Eagles, but concerns over retaining the "Hotel California" trademark led their lawyers to recommend to the band members that they deny the mental hospital as the inspiration for the song. That's why the members say it wasn't the mental hospital. But, it was.
Yes, it's somehow connected, but that's not all, there is encrypted, something else

Please bring me my wine
"Since 1969"

A euphamistic "prison" of both your mind and the surroundings and decisions you make for yourself.

Or a metaphor for the looney bin. :)

Yes, it's somehow connected, but that's not all, there is encrypted, something else
There are questions on whether what took place was a Satanic sacrifice of a baby to a sacrifice with a pig. There will always be questions unless one of the members finally tells the story.

New Topics

Forum List

Back