What is Jury Nullification?

Jury Nullification is a means to keep the government in line.
Jury nullification happens when the court ignores the verdict of the jury and issues a straight conviction and sentencing by order of the judge.

In cases involving a grand jury in Portland, Oregon, where the jury declines to indict, the judge as a matter of course in accordance with established law, nullifies the grand jury's decision of "no true bill," pleas the defendant guilty as charged and informed by the prosecutor, and proceeds straight to sentencing. Washington State (a "prosecution-by-information" state) omits the due process of grand jury indictment and trial of the particulars altogether.

That's a good question to ask the attorneys, "what is jury nullification" if you ever get called for jury duty and they start questioning you.
Even better....Report to jury duty and start passing out pamphlets from Fully Informed Jury Association

I did sit on a jury for an auto accident in 1985 in Mahoning County. Found the nun who was being sued to be not liable. In any event, however, I was picked on my 2nd day of jury duty and it was a 3 day trial. Helped cut the boredom since it was a 2 week period.

I sure the hell wouldn't want to be on a murder trial or sitting in judgment of some black guy in the current era.

6 more years , and I'll be permanently exempt at age 70 in Pennsylvania, which only has 1 week jury duty if chosen

did sit on a jury for an auto accident in 1985 in Mahoning County. Found the nun who was being sued to be not liable
Dude, there's a lady, the Catholic Church requires "confession" in court no matter what, and don't you dare sue a nun or find her guilty — it's a trap to pick up jurors on a good faith church charge straight out of the Vatican — send a pure Sicilian hit man.

did sit on a jury for an auto accident in 1985 in Mahoning County. Found the nun who was being sued to be not liable
Dude, there's a lady, the Catholic Church requires "confession" in court no matter what, and don't you dare sue a nun or find her guilty — it's a trap to pick up jurors on a good faith church charge straight out of the Vatican — send a pure Sicilian hit man.

Like I said, we found the nun to be "not liable" in a civil case. I guess we knew what we were doing

Jury nullification is a device whereby individuals believe they can control a jury to made a decision in contravention of the evidence. It opens the offending juror up to charges of violation of the jurors oath. The judge can also ignore a plainly silly verdict and give a directed verdict or judgment notwithstanding the verdict.

I did sit on a jury for an auto accident in 1985 in Mahoning County. Found the nun who was being sued to be not liable.

That's no nun.

Oh, I had always thought that "jury nullification" referred to a jury that refuses to consider the evidence and decides on purely personal grounds to render a particular decision.

I thought I had read that the O.J. Simpson case in the early 1990s was an example.

It was reported that the ladies on the jury who were members of Mr. Simpson's ethnicity had decided to acquit him regardless of the evidence.

Jury Nullification is about Justice. The basic premise is that the Jury can find the Defendant Not Guilty even if he committed the crime, because it is unjust to convict him. It is about ruling the law, or the application of the law, as unjust. Juries found bootleggers not guilty from time to time despite being caught in the literal act. They believed it was unjust. The Jury disagreed with the law, and would not find someone guilty.

In 1968 Jury Nullification prevented several Gay Men from being sentenced to prison for consensual sodomy. Two consenting adults in other words. Everyone knew they had done it. Everyone knew it was against the law. The jury knew it was wrong to prosecute and convict the men. So they came back as Not Guilty. Even though the accused had committed the crime, the Jury said it wasn't a crime at all.

IMO we should have more examples of Jury Nullification than we do. But the Courts do not want you to talk about it.

Jury Nullification is about Justice. The basic premise is that the Jury can find the Defendant Not Guilty even if he committed the crime, because it is unjust to convict him. It is about ruling the law, or the application of the law, as unjust. Juries found bootleggers not guilty from time to time despite being caught in the literal act. They believed it was unjust. The Jury disagreed with the law, and would not find someone guilty.

In 1968 Jury Nullification prevented several Gay Men from being sentenced to prison for consensual sodomy. Two consenting adults in other words. Everyone knew they had done it. Everyone knew it was against the law. The jury knew it was wrong to prosecute and convict the men. So they came back as Not Guilty. Even though the accused had committed the crime, the Jury said it wasn't a crime at all.

IMO we should have more examples of Jury Nullification than we do. But the Courts do not want you to talk about it.
The best part of the jury system is that the government does not determine guilt. They can accuse and present evidence but they cannot determine guilt. It is up to the jury. The judge is not the jury's boss. He cannot tell the jury what to do.

Forum List

Back