What is in the Appalachian Basin?

BrickHouse88

Mar 5, 2022
If you’re familiar with the Appalachian Basin, please inform me of what natural resources are in it.

Is it a big field of coal like the Illinois basin? I couldn’t get a good answer on Google.

Attachments

• 05AC4487-56CF-4068-A13D-63CB439F896A.png
    05AC4487-56CF-4068-A13D-63CB439F896A.png
    418.2 KB · Views: 17
I just found two answers on there being coal, oil, and natural gas in there when I searched Google harder.

If there’s anything else in there I’m missing, plz inform me..

Attachments

• 0DF29EDD-6BBB-4592-B983-09EF0123A4DC.png
    0DF29EDD-6BBB-4592-B983-09EF0123A4DC.png
    43.8 KB · Views: 12
  • E5625839-BC59-47AF-BCB2-A51A5E6E9574.png
    E5625839-BC59-47AF-BCB2-A51A5E6E9574.png
    115.9 KB · Views: 11
Timber products I would guess but like you I can't find any information on it at all. Just found some information on my bookshelf. Mostly a variety of agriculture products are grown there plus it is a source of hickory, maple, and oak

Last edited:
Looks like a region tht follows the west side Appalachian river valleys that contains a whole lot of coal and oil. The first oil booms were in W.V. and NE Pennsylvania, and the Bradford Fields reached well into that part of New York state, as well as Ohio and eastern Kentucky. Birmingham, at the end of the region, is near coal fields and I think iron mines as well; U.S. Steel had a major plant in that area. iirc it's all part of the same geological structure.

Googling the different industries in each state will probably give the whole picture. For instance:

Red Mountain is a long ridge running southwest-northeast and dividing Jones Valley from Shades Valley south of Birmingham, Alabama. It is part of the Ridge-and-Valley region of the Appalachian mountains. The Red Mountain Formation of hard Silurian rock strata lies exposed in several long crests, and was named "Red Mountain" because of the rust-stained rock faces and prominent seams of red hematite iron ore. The mountain was the site of the Sloss, Republic Steel, Woodward Iron and Tennessee Coal and iron mines which supplied ore to Birmingham's iron furnaces.

Which in turn links to ...

The Ridge-and-Valley Appalachians, also called the Ridge and Valley Province or the Valley and Ridge Appalachians, are a physiographic province of the larger Appalachian division and are also a belt within the Appalachian Mountains extending from southeastern New York in the north through northwestern New Jersey, westward into Pennsylvania through the Lehigh Valley, and southward into Maryland, West Virginia, Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, and Alabama. They form a broad arc between the Blue Ridge Mountains and the Appalachian Plateau physiographic province (the Allegheny and Cumberland plateaus). They are characterized by long, even ridges, with long, continuous valleys in between.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back