What is faith?

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2004
Minnesota
I'm starting a new analytical exercise on certain topics in religion. And I wanted to start off with faith.

What is faith?
What do we need faith in?
Why?
How do we get faith?
How do we strengthen faith?

I'm starting a new analytical exercise on certain topics in religion. And I wanted to start off with faith.

What is faith?
Why?
How do we get faith?
I'll speak of faith in the general sense, which includes, but is not limited to, a deity.

Faith is a set of ideas basecd on beliefs, not on proof.

The reasons for faith and the areas in which each has faith, are subjective.

What is faith?
Why?
How do we get faith?

What is faith?: Faith is simple. It is a delusion.

What do we need faith in?: We do not need faith. Saying we do is an idiocy.

Why?: Why what?

How do we get faith?: One gets faith by being needy and deciding to look outside oneself for a superstition that eases the denial of death as a fact of life.

How do we strengthen faith?: By attacking those who expose faith for what it is, one's faith gets stronger: delusion feeds off itself.

any other quest-ions?

:cool:
dD

next

Last edited:
You know if I said everything I wanted to say about faith I'd sound like a pessimist.

Suffice it to say I do not think it's something people should strive for more of but rather something that should generally be seen in a negative light. Although taking nothing on faith has it's ... flaws.

Oh and I'm terrible at defining abstract concepts but we're all adults I think we all know the general idea behind faith.

Faith is confidence. For example, I could say I have faith in meditation as opening the mind and heart. There is plenty of research that demonstrates the benefits of meditation and I have my own experience as well. So I have faith or confidence in meditation. I've seen the benefits in my own life/

I think people seem to underestimate the faith they use in their lifes. I dont mean just faith in God. But faith in general.

Why do we plant seeds if we dont have faith that they will grow?

Why do we work if we dont have faith that we will get a paycheck at the end of the day? (by work i mean our employment, not the work we do on our own).

Faith is what created the Universe. It's a belief that is relied upon in order to take action. It's a principle of motivation and of power.

"Why do we work if we dont have faith that we will get a paycheck at the end of the day? "

Because they said they would pay us and if they don't that's a breach of contract and we could send them to court.

"Why do we work if we dont have faith that we will get a paycheck at the end of the day? "

Because they said they would pay us and if they don't that's a breach of contract and we could send them to court.

And what if they dont have money?

You seem to have missed the point though.

Well, it is a misquote from Mencken. I can't find the right quote, so I take credit for its lameness.

stop fucking trying to quote HLM.

there are those of us who are caused great embarrassment seeing you pretend to understand where Mencken was coming from'

ps. Mencken wasn't an effete, thin-skinned, humorless, pseudo-intellectual as you are. so get over IT

---

you have no clue about HLM.

You are probably one of those who have misinterpreted most all his writings and his Chrestomathy.

Mencken was a man without the frail insecurities you posses. He didn't run from criticism, he embraced it.

Last edited:
Well, it is a misquote from Mencken. I can't find the right quote, so I take credit for its lameness.

there are those of us who are caused great embarrassment seeing you pretend to understand where Mencken was coming from'

ps. Mencken wasn't an effete, thin-skinned, humorless, pseudo-intellectual as you are. so get over IT

---

You are probably one of those who have misinterpreted most all his writings and his Chrestomathy.

Mencken was a man without the frail insecurities you posses. He didn't run from criticism, he embraced it.

Wow... that obviously hit a nerve.

---

Wow... that obviously hit a nerve.

No nerve. What probably hit a nerve was my post to the pretender. I have met his type far too many times not to know where his buttons are.

I do have an affinity for most things Mencken. One I do not, is with people who pretend.

:eusa_whistle:

New Topics

Forum List

Back