What is "Conservative" Nowadays???

IndependntLogic

Jul 14, 2011
When I cast my first presidential vote (for Reagan), being "Conservative" sure seemed different than it does today.

Reagan summed up being a Conservative pretty well: Less government, Less spending and strong Defense. But none of this was set in stone or nearly as extreme as it is packaged and sold, nowadays.
Reagan never wanted to do away with the EPA, USDA or CIA (oops, okay my Contra-Gate is showing but stilll). So Reagan saw a LOT of waste but stayed within what seemed to be reasonable bound to me. Danm Liberal!
He didn't impose and increase government on social issues. Hell, he was a Hollywood actor. Danm Liberal.
Less spending. Okay. Sounds good. But in order to balance the budget, he raised taxes on the rich a few times. Danm Liberal!
Strong Defense. Not offense. Defense. No Libya, Africa OR Iraq. Defense. Danm Liberal.

Reagan was a Liberal. By todays' standards. Frankly, I don't even know what "Conservative" means nowadays.
There seem to be the religious types like Michele Whackman or Rick Perry who want a great Big Government telling everyone who can get married, join the military, overturn Roe v. Wade and so on. WTF? Really?
Then there seems to be the Libertarians who believe that all those nice corporations will regulate themselves (like say, Wall Street), treat minorities, women and everyone else fairly, take good care of their employees etc... if we just leave them alone. They also seem to believe "The Magic Market" will prevent corporations from releasing dangerous products, destroying the environment and stop contaminated food from ever harming us. Oh, and we should all be able to take AK-47's to work. WTF? Really?

Seriously, I don't know what Conservatism is anymore. Other than "Extreme".

When I cast my first presidential vote (for Reagan), being "Conservative" sure seemed different than it does today.

Reagan summed up being a Conservative pretty well: Less government, Less spending and strong Defense. But none of this was set in stone or nearly as extreme as it is packaged and sold, nowadays.
Reagan never wanted to do away with the EPA, USDA or CIA (oops, okay my Contra-Gate is showing but stilll). So Reagan saw a LOT of waste but stayed within what seemed to be reasonable bound to me. Danm Liberal!
He didn't impose and increase government on social issues. Hell, he was a Hollywood actor. Danm Liberal.
Less spending. Okay. Sounds good. But in order to balance the budget, he raised taxes on the rich a few times. Danm Liberal!
Strong Defense. Not offense. Defense. No Libya, Africa OR Iraq. Defense. Danm Liberal.

Reagan was a Liberal. By todays' standards. Frankly, I don't even know what "Conservative" means nowadays.
There seem to be the religious types like Michele Whackman or Rick Perry who want a great Big Government telling everyone who can get married, join the military, overturn Roe v. Wade and so on. WTF? Really?
Then there seems to be the Libertarians who believe that all those nice corporations will regulate themselves (like say, Wall Street), treat minorities, women and everyone else fairly, take good care of their employees etc... if we just leave them alone. They also seem to believe "The Magic Market" will prevent corporations from releasing dangerous products, destroying the environment and stop contaminated food from ever harming us. Oh, and we should all be able to take AK-47's to work. WTF? Really?

Okay, this is dumb.

A) There was no gay marriage issue during Reagan's admin, HOWEVER, the gays were claiming Reagan either invented AIDs (via the CIA) or didn't want a cure found for it, so gays would die.

B) Reagan was a Christian, Helloooooooooooooooooooo! Anyone remember the Moral Majority and their backing of Reagan??????? I DO!

C) Reagan was very much AGAINST abortion.

Reagan maintained that a fetus could feel pain during an abortion and a number of pediatricians and obgyns wrote a letter backing up what Reagan said.

Reagan on Fetal Pain During Abortion

D) Reagan was against ERA (as was I, and I am a woman)

E) Reagan was big business and anti-government.

Ronald Reagan - Wikiquote

Ronald Reagan Quotes - BrainyQuote

So what the *uck are you talking about?

Is this some BS talking point from some liberal blog? Because everything you just claimed about Reagan is COMPETELY FALSE and the OPPOSITE IS TRUE.

I don't believe for a minute you are even OLD enough to have voted for Reagan. There is NO WAY you could have lived during Reagan's time and believe you were going to get away with this UTTER BULLSHIT!

Anyone, who lived during that time (and I MOST CERTAINLY DID) is going to kow you made it all up, or someone did!

So, nice try, but what you posted is BULLSHIT! Try again!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Ok, so your ignorance of Conservatism is somehow the fault of conservatives now?

It's quite obvious what this is about.

Libs KNOW that Obama is probably going to lose in 2012 and they are pulling out all the lies they can to prevent this.

One of the lies comes straight from Obama, in which he has compared himself to both Lincoln and Reagan.

So, the spin is in. They hope to convince those too young to remember Reagan that Obama is the "real conservative" not those "crazies running against him."

It's deseperately hilarious and pathetic.

They are deseprate, and it's obivous.

They are going to try any lie and spin to get Obama elected.

Just wait until it actually is 2012 for the real liberal meltdown. It's going to be entertaining.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

At this point, about half of the GOP has become the laughingstock of the First World. Our peers basically wonder why the party of Reagan is being led by Perry and Palin rather than people like Jon Huntsman.

Huntsman is more of the moderate statesman that the GOP needs right now. Even an old fashioned Goldwater type would be a welcome change.

Everyone who doesn't buy the products peddled by the Snake Oil Salesmen running the country are 'extremists' these days. It's become a meaningless term, much like 'racist'.... people use it to offend rather than to accurately describe. I put this down to a lack of rational thought..... or, if you prefer, outright stupidity.

Ok, so your ignorance of Conservatism is somehow the fault of conservatives now?

Libs KNOW that Obama is probably going to lose in 2012 and they are pulling out all the lies they can to prevent this.

One of the lies comes straight from Obama, in which he has compared himself to both Lincoln and Reagan.

So, the spin is in. They hope to convince those too young to remember Reagan that Obama is the "real conservative" not those "crazies running against him."

Just wait until it actually is 2012 for the real liberal meltdown. It's going to be entertaining.

Um. Pardon me. I know the standard whackjob azzhole response is to immediately label anyone, saying anything you dislike as a Liberal. Got it. See it all the time. Usual tactic with RW Conserv whackjobs (and on rare ocassion, with Liberals too).
Of course, if I weren't all over this board for months, talking about how badly Obama sucks, your post might not seem credible. Oh well.
So I was 18 when I voted for and then served under Reagan. Obviously, I remember him more fondly and in a better light than perhaps is deserved. I seemed to remember him as a guy who, although he may have had the views you discuss, never talked about trying to legislate his way into the bedroom etc...

So here's the difference between you and me. When someone is strongly disagreeing with me or even being a hostile azzhole, I can do this:

You're right. I was wrong.

(Except about him raising taxes or Iran-Contra gate.)

So maybe he wasn't as ideologically pure I as give him credit for. Oh well, live n learn.
Oh, and here's another difference between us: You might as well not even post. I watch both MSNBC and FOX. Which means I know your views on the vast majority of issues before you ever state them. Your opinions are spoon fed into your brain like a little child. So it's not like it's difficult to tell what will come out of the other end...

Last edited:

Everyone who doesn't buy the products peddled by the Snake Oil Salesmen running the country are 'extremists' these days. It's become a meaningless term, much like 'racist'.... people use it to offend rather than to accurately describe. I put this down to a lack of rational thought..... or, if you prefer, outright stupidity.

So fine. What would you change and how? Or are petty insults and bullshet all you have to offer?

Oh wait I've seen your posts before. nm

At this point, about half of the GOP has become the laughingstock of the First World. Our peers basically wonder why the party of Reagan is being led by Perry and Palin rather than people like Jon Huntsman.

Huntsman is more of the moderate statesman that the GOP needs right now. Even an old fashioned Goldwater type would be a welcome change.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

You ever notice there is no book entitled, "Great Moderates in History?"

Gee, I wonder why! :eusa_think:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

whatdyaknow!

We can agree on something!

:D

Um. Pardon me. I know the standard whackjob azzhole response is to immediately label anyone, saying anything you dislike as a Liberal. Got it. See it all the time. Usual tactic with RW Conserv whackjobs (and on rare ocassion, with Liberals too).
Of course, if I weren't all over this board for months, talking about how badly Obama sucks, your post might not seem credible. Oh well.
So I was 18 when I voted for and then served under Reagan. Obviously, I remember him more fondly and in a better light than perhaps is deserved. I seemed to remember him as a guy who, although he may have had the views you discuss, never talked about trying to legislate his way into the bedroom etc...

So here's the difference between you and me. When someone is strongly disagreeing with me or even being a hostile azzhole, I can do this:

You're right. I was wrong.

(Except about him raising taxes or Iran-Contra gate.)

So maybe he wasn't as ideologically pure I as give him credit for. Oh well, live n learn.
Oh, and here's another difference between us: You might as well not even post. I watch both MSNBC and FOX. Which means I know your views on the vast majority of issues before you ever state them. Your opinions are spoon fed into your brain like a little child. So it's not like it's difficult to tell what will come out of the other end...

And I say bullshit!

Because *I* was 19 I voted for Reagan, and I know that pack of lies you claimed about Reagan is a pack of lies!

I notice you don't even try to counter the facts I brought up that refute your BS.

Keep lying.

It's hilarious!

Reagan virtually doubled the national debt.

We went from a creditor nation to a debtor one under Reagan.

We had massive SS withholding increases and other taxes as well.

yep a conservative.

Reagan was at the forefront of Neocons.

Okay, this is dumb.

A) There was no gay marriage issue during Reagan's admin, HOWEVER, the gays were claiming Reagan either invented AIDs (via the CIA) or didn't want a cure found for it, so gays would die.

B) Reagan was a Christian, Helloooooooooooooooooooo! Anyone remember the Moral Majority and their backing of Reagan??????? I DO!

C) Reagan was very much AGAINST abortion.

Reagan maintained that a fetus could feel pain during an abortion and a number of pediatricians and obgyns wrote a letter backing up what Reagan said.

Reagan on Fetal Pain During Abortion

D) Reagan was against ERA (as was I, and I am a woman)

E) Reagan was big business and anti-government.

Ronald Reagan - Wikiquote

Ronald Reagan Quotes - BrainyQuote

So what the *uck are you talking about?

Is this some BS talking point from some liberal blog? Because everything you just claimed about Reagan is COMPETELY FALSE and the OPPOSITE IS TRUE.

I don't believe for a minute you are even OLD enough to have voted for Reagan. There is NO WAY you could have lived during Reagan's time and believe you were going to get away with this UTTER BULLSHIT!

Anyone, who lived during that time (and I MOST CERTAINLY DID) is going to kow you made it all up, or someone did!

So, nice try, but what you posted is BULLSHIT! Try again!

Hey, look guys! I quoted myself. Huh huh huh!

Notice Independent Liar doesn't even TRY to refute the above.

There's a reason for that.

He KNOWS he's lying about Reagan. Thought he'd get away with it and has nothing to say to the links above that prove he's dead wrong.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

yep a conservative.

Oh really????????????

usgs_line.php

Government Spending Chart in United States 1980-2011 - Federal State Local

When are you libs going to learn that just because you make up BS, it doesn't mean we can't blow it out of the water, with some cold hard facts.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

yep a conservative.

Oh really????????????

usgs_line.php

When are you libs going to learn that just because you make up BS, it doesn't mean we can't blow it out of the water, with some cold hard facts.

Yes really the debt not the % of GDP.
If you have $1 in debt and you add $1 of debt to it you double your debt regardless of your income.

Perhaps you should concentrate on math instead of creative finiancing.

Debt Ceiling Was Raised 18 Times Under President Reagan

Last edited:
the debt is an absolute not a percentage of the GDP.

Sheesh, how did you get so brainwashed?
I will try explaining this to you just once more.

So if you owe 50K on your mortgage and your income increases your debt reduces from the 50K level?
You still owe 50k dumpass. And if you do a home loan for another 20K you owe 70K I don't care if your income quadruples.

did you go to college or collage?

Last edited:

yep a conservative.

Oh really????????????

usgs_line.php

Yes really the debt not the % of GDP.
If you have $1 in debt and you add $1 of debt to it you double your debt regardless of your income.

Perhaps you should concentrate on math instead of creative finiancing.

Debt Ceiling Was Raised 18 Times Under President Reagan

Perhaps YOU should grow a brain and realize that SPENDING is all about what you bring in!

IF you are spending more than you bring IN then that's a problem. THAT's why the only REAL accurate way to figure US spending is as a part of GDP, because GDP is where TAX dollars come from.

New Topics

Forum List

Back