What if Global Warming Was Saving Us From a New Ice Age?

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
This is an interesting article.

Scientists warn of 'mini ice age' that could hit Earth and freeze major rivers by 2030

"In cycle 26, the two waves exactly mirror each other — peaking at the same time but in opposite hemispheres of the Sun," Zharkova reportedly said in 2015 while conducting a previous research on the phenomenon. "Their interaction will be disruptive, or they will nearly cancel each other. We predict that this will lead to the properties of a 'Maunder minimum'."...

Although Zharkova claimed 97 percent accuracy for the model that corresponds to previous mini ice ages, she did warn that her model could not be used as proof of a future mini ice age, partly because of global warming. The new research paper on the findings was published this year in Astronomy & Geophysics.

"I hope global warning will be overridden by this effect, giving humankind and the Earth 30 years to sort out our pollution," Zharkova told Sky News, adding that any possible downward impact on global warming will last until 2050s when the Sun's two magnetic waves become active again.
But what if it is a case of Global Warming over-riding the Ice Age effect instead?

Could we be fighting the sole reason we are not seeing New York under sheets of ice already?

9:30 tee off overlooking the Pacific ocean 76 degrees no wind clear blue skies...

The weather is the least of my problems...

9:30 tee off overlooking the Pacific ocean 76 degrees no wind clear blue skies...

The weather is the least of my problems...
Wonder why econazis haven't made a move on golf for its water use.....worry about cow farts but golf courses can be the only green thing for miles and that's ok

Scientists warn of 'mini ice age' that could hit Earth and freeze major rivers by 2030

"In cycle 26, the two waves exactly mirror each other — peaking at the same time but in opposite hemispheres of the Sun," Zharkova reportedly said in 2015 while conducting a previous research on the phenomenon. "Their interaction will be disruptive, or they will nearly cancel each other. We predict that this will lead to the properties of a 'Maun

Youngetting it..der minimum'."...

Although Zharkova claimed 97 percent accuracy for the model that corresponds to previous mini ice ages, she did warn that her model could not be used as proof of a future mini ice age, partly because of global warming. The new research paper on the findings was published this year in Astronomy & Geophysics.

"I hope global warning will be overridden by this effect, giving humankind and the Earth 30 years to sort out our pollution," Zharkova told Sky News, adding that any possible downward impact on global warming will last until 2050s when the Sun's two magnetic waves become active again.
But what if it is a case of Global Warming over-riding the Ice Age effect instead?

Could we be fighting the sole reason we are not seeing New York under sheets of ice already?

You getting it

"In cycle 26, the two waves exactly mirror each other — peaking at the same time but in opposite hemispheres of the Sun," Zharkova reportedly said in 2015 while conducting a previous research on the phenomenon. "Their interaction will be disruptive, or they will nearly cancel each other. We predict that this will lead to the properties of a 'Maunder minimum'."...

I don’t know if we are going to be colder or warmer in the future, but whatever happens it’s going to be the oil companies fault, and the government needs to pass some laws to stop them.#liberal logic

I'll leave it to you to discern which of the following applies to the matter the OP asks us to ponder.

8677177980_f01a30f9d4_b.jpg

manincircleblue.jpg

There is every good reason to believe that we could be right at the precipice of another climatic cooling. The Holocene IS a glaciating period and since the start of the Quaternary Period just 2.5 million years ago, we have suffered through at least 9 ice ages just in North America alone, with the general trend since the Roman Warm Period ending about 400 CE being a cooling trend again. All this talk of global warming, at best, it might just simply get us back up to where we have been at most of the time before!

That is just plain stupid. We did not see the New York area under sheets of ice from the last Maunder Minimum. We will not see that in 2030, either. If fact, should that happen, it will only slow down global warming, as the effect of the amount of GHGs we are putting in the atmosphere will easily over ride the effect of a lower TSI.

I've always thought that it would be pretty freakin' funny if BOTH sides of this issue were right, and that we were unknowingly saving our own asses.

:laugh:

I've always thought that it would be pretty freakin' funny if BOTH sides of this issue were right, and that we were unknowingly saving our own asses.

I think it's more the truth then you know.

That is why you dont fix something if you dont know how it works, and we still dont really know how the climate works very well.

Then we have until the ice age starts to end to get off the planet and find another place to live before the human race gets roasted out of history

That is just plain stupid. We did not see the New York area under sheets of ice from the last Maunder Minimum. We will not see that in 2030, either. If fact, should that happen, it will only slow down global warming, as the effect of the amount of GHGs we are putting in the atmosphere will easily over ride the effect of a lower TSI.
Global warming is a natural effect, and certainly not man-made

I believe that the evidence is not conclusive thus far since we have had warmer and colder climates prior to the evil SUVs came around.

But are we amplifying or diminishing any of these natural cyclic affects?

That is where I am open to being convinced, but so far no Tootsie Roll.

That is why you dont fix something if you dont know how it works, and we still dont really know how the climate works very well.

It's like the story of the old fence in the field with an unknown purpose someone wanted to take down, and the person in charge said "first tell me why the fence was there in the first place, and if that situation is gone, THEN you can take the fence down.

Then we have until the ice age starts to end to get off the planet and find another place to live before the human race gets roasted out of history

Global warming will raise the temperature to 350 degrees?

Guess we will know how a pork loin feels.

I believe that the evidence is not conclusive thus far since we have had warmer and colder climates prior to the evil SUVs came around.

But are we amplifying or diminishing any of these natural cyclic affects?

That is where I am open to being convinced, but so far no Tootsie Roll.
The earths Natural global warming source... Nothing we can do about it one way or another

655928main_solar-anatomy-MOS-orig_full.jpg

I don't see it stupid at all. New York under ice was only meant as a dramaticism of ice ages in general and we don't need any continental ice sheets to have significant cooling that in the end, we will be happy for any global warming's offsetting to some degree. Beyond that, no one knows how much global warming we will have, how much of it is caused by us, much less what the situation will be in 2030. Let's be real. WE DON'T KNOW THE FUTURE.

That said, I take a more fatalistic approach------ 99% of all species ever lived are extinct for ONE REASON alone-- -- -- -- failure to adapt. There may not be any solution to our being able to adapt to our numbers of population and the effect it has on the world and eventual climate which might theoretically be our own undoing. In the end, we may simply be following nature as just one more species that ultimately somewhere along its timeline was unable to cope with and adapt to changes, whether caused by themselves or external forces.

Smilodon (Saber-toothed cat) only lived about 2 million years before going extinct and it never built a single car or factory.

INDEED, if we truly want to adapt and survive, we would be far wiser to drastically cut our population by cutting births---- ---- that will most certainly go far further in minimizing our footprint upon the Earth than any hoped chances of us developing totally clean energy, etc. able to sustain our current population in the near future.

I don't see it stupid at all. New York under ice was only meant as a dramaticism of ice ages in general and we don't need any continental ice sheets to have significant cooling that in the end, we will be happy for any global warming's offsetting to some degree. Beyond that, no one knows how much global warming we will have, how much of it is caused by us, much less what the situation will be in 2030. Let's be real. WE DON'T KNOW THE FUTURE.

That said, I take a more fatalistic approach------ 99% of all species ever lived are extinct for ONE REASON alone-- -- -- -- failure to adapt. There may not be any solution to our being able to adapt to our numbers of population and the effect it has on the world and eventual climate which might theoretically be our own undoing. In the end, we may simply be following nature as just one more species that ultimately somewhere along its timeline was unable to cope with and adapt to changes, whether caused by themselves or external forces.

Smilodon (Saber-toothed cat) only lived about 2 million years before going extinct and it never built a single car or factory.

INDEED, if we truly want to adapt and survive, we would be far wiser to drastically cut our population by cutting births---- ---- that will most certainly go far further in minimizing our footprint upon the Earth than any hoped chances of us developing totally clean energy, etc. able to sustain our current population in the near future.
5c51c788d94da7528d20369a820cbfd7.jpg

The earths Natural global warming source... Nothing we can do about it one way or another
Humanity generates about 18 TW annually into the atmosphere while the Earth itself generates 47 TW.

The Sun 174,000 TW into our atmosphere annually, dwarfing all other input into insignificance.

The only case AGW proponents can make is based on some presumption that CO2 is the strongest catalyst for trapping heat, but that is not the case as methane absorbs more heat/molecule

NASA - NASA Traces Molecular Characteristics That Heat Earth
Carbon dioxide receives a lot of attention because it is abundant and its concentration is increasing in the atmosphere. Methane is a trace gas that absorbs heat about 200 times more efficiently than carbon dioxide and has a relatively short lifetime of 12 years. Other trace gases contain fluorine atoms, such as hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs), chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), and perfluorocarbons. These compounds are many times more efficient as heat absorbers than methane, and can last in the atmosphere thousands of years, which makes monitoring their accumulation in the atmosphere critical to understanding Earth’s climate.

This article lists CO2 as the second worst GHG behind water vapor.
The Top Ten Greenhouse Gases

IMO, AGW proponents have yet to prove their case that this is not merely collateral effects that do not amount to a dominant causal factor.

Forum List

Back