What if Abortion were Outlawed?

There is a case before the USSC currently that, if the Court rules with the State of Louisiana, will make getting an abortion in Louisiana somewhat more inconvenient for some women. They (some women whose home is distant) would have to drive a couple hours to an abortion clinic, rather than accessing one closer to home. Hence, we are warned that women's "reproductive freedom" is under attack.

Reproductive freedom? If a woman doesn't want to have a baby, she can decline to engage in reproductive behavior. It is free and completely safe to do so. Or if she is OK with having a baby, but doesn't want to have one with a particular man, she can shun that man, sexually. Or she can go on birth control pills, which are 99% effective when used as directed. Or she can use an IUD. Or she can insist that the man use a condom. Or she can get her "tubes tied." So, like Adam and Eve in the garden, there are a whole shitload of means she can take to exercise her "reproductive freedom" ; she just can't have an abortion, conveniently.

But what if abortion were off the table, excepting only cases where the LIFE (not the "health," which could mean anything at all) of the mother was in jeopardy, how would it impact the lives of fecund women?

Would they not seek to access one or more of the strategies mentioned above? And if such a law or decision were to come to fruition (prohibiting abortion), wouldn't it also make these strategies universally available - i.e., "free" birth control pills?

And dare we mention, abortion was a crime in almost every state prior to 1973, a crime in EVERY state a couple decades earlier, and the number of women who were severely harmed by "botched abortions" is grossly overrepresented in the current mythology. A couple woman a year in the whole country.

I submit that as much political angst as is current expended on the abortion issue is pathological. If it were completely outlawed (which would never happen - some states would approve it by law immediately after the feared USSC decision), it would not be such a big deal at all. Women would be a little more careful in their reproductive habits. That's it.
Or you could shut the fuck up and not concern yourself with what any woman does with her body.

Or YOU could shut the fuck up and stop bothering us with this, "You have to accept my third-grade education as science!" line.

No one's talking about HER body here, and just because basic human reproduction is beyond your understanding does not obligate us to do anything except view you as a waste of skin.
Ok, trash

I'll take that to mean, "I know you're right, but I'm too evil and cowardly to admit it. Cower before my third-grade insults!"

We already hold the fathers responsible, to the extent that we can. States have no particular desire to hand out money they don't have to, so they do make an effort to pursue the fathers for child support. However, far too many women get impregnated by men they know very little about. If the woman can't tell you where and how to find the guy, or even for sure which guy it was, that kinda makes it hard to prosecute him.

I knew a girl who got pregnant, and had literally five different guys tested for paternity because it could conceivably have been any of them . . . but all five tests were negative. She never did figure out who the actual father was.

Or she DID, and told him to scram so he WOULDN'T have to pay.

I doubt it. Either way, the point is that the state can only do so much to hold the fathers to account if women are so careless as to get pregnant by a man they know very little about.

As implied above, the number of women who were harmed in the course of botched abortions was microscopic, especially when compared to the number of babies who are killed through legal abortions.
Calling a fetus a "baby" is dishonest
Calling a baby a "fetus" is just callous and non human. When people dont respect the sanctity of life in the womb then people dont respect life outside the womb and why we see murders in inner cities that are more than most wars.
I can honestly say, I have never once, in 50 years, heard anybody refer to a baby as a fetus. Now, if somebody had a basic modicum of intellectual honesty, he would refer to a fetus as a fetus and a baby as a baby. Not that hard, really. Fetus prebirth. Baby post-birth. Alas, this is a topic that does not present itself as intellectually honest.
Fetus prebirth.
Really?

Scott Peterson Killed Wife in Their Home, Police Say
MODESTO —
Scott Peterson pleaded not guilty Monday to charges that he murdered his pregnant wife, Laci, and unborn son, Conner, a crime police and prosecutors say took place in the couple’s Modesto home in the days just before Christmas.
Unborn son, not unborn fetus. So you are saying that the law is wrong?

Forum List

Back