What I have feared for Netflix for a long time... is happening rapidly.

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
Brief history of me and Netflix - you may not care about:
I signed up for Netflix streaming the day they first offered it. I am literally among the first 100 people who signed up. This had some benefits. I still paid only $7.99/mo all the way to just a few years ago. When the premium versions came out, I got the features automatically and at no additional costs. When they raised my price from $7.99 2 or 3 years ago to accommodate 4k Ultra they sent me an actual mailed letter saying they were raising my subscription by $1 but as a founding member I get the full 4k premium at the basic price, and my sub $ will always be basic with premium benefits.

On to the thread:
Netflix has been amazing for years. Never commercials, always lower price then all other services, and a vast collection of things to watch.
Not so much anymore.
The giant corporate competitors are collectively removing their content from Netflix to prop up their own that is more expensive, not 4k (without paying a lot more) with 1/100th the content. And with commercials, unless you pay more.
What is happening right now in the streaming world is it is slowly but surely becoming the very model of business that cord cutters got away from - pay more and more and more across multiple services to get content you want, buried in a plethora of content you don't want. Just like cable TV.

I signed up for Netflix streaming the day they first offered it. I am literally among the first 100 people who signed up. This had some benefits. I still paid only $7.99/mo all the way to just a few years ago. When the premium versions came out, I got the features automatically and at no additional costs. When they raised my price from $7.99 2 or 3 years ago to accommodate 4k Ultra they sent me an actual mailed letter saying they were raising my subscription by $1 but as a founding member I get the full 4k premium at the basic price, and my sub $ will always be basic with premium benefits.

On to the thread:
Netflix has been amazing for years. Never commercials, always lower price then all other services, and a vast collection of things to watch.
Not so much anymore.
The giant corporate competitors are collectively removing their content from Netflix to prop up their own that is more expensive, not 4k (without paying a lot more) with 1/100th the content. And with commercials, unless you pay more.
What is happening right now in the streaming world is it is slowly but surely becoming the very model of business that cord cutters got away from - pay more and more and more across multiple services to get content you want, buried in a plethora of content you don't want. Just like cable TV.
Anything Barry touches turns to shit.

On to the thread:
Not so much anymore.
I cancelled cable the last day of Dec- all I used the TV for really is back ground noise, which I can get from you tube-
I do watch amazon prime at night while playing solitaire- I've seen some good movies and the Bosch series I enjoy.
One movie I searched for, "Dead Man Walking" with Bruce Willis isn't included with my prime acct but could be bought or rented- oh well- his and amazon's loss is my gain
Racing season for the World of Outlaws is about to get into full swing and I stream their races on Dirtvision-

The beauty of Netflix is for over 10 years they had no real competition. But they acted like they did. They kept themselves ad free, despite pressures from stockholders to split the service into ads and premium no ads. (Like Hulu)
They continued to improve their product with technology, continued to add content w/o raising prices. They never got greedy.
In today's globalistic/corporatism economy that is hell bent on ever lowering their cost - at all cost - while raising prices to the consumer.... Netflix has continued to resist that corrosive mentality.
I have feared for a long time that either Disney or Apple was going to buy them out, because they are the only companies big enough to do so... and then turn Netflix into a model of ever raising subscription, while cheapening content.
Well. That is effectively what they are doing. Disney is quietly building an entertainment monopoly, and they are now using that muscle to squeeze out Netflix so they can charge 5 times as much with half the content.
And the corporatism model of screwing the consumer in order to enrich a few dozen people continues to gain another market to exploit.

pay more and more and more across multiple services to get content you want, buried in a plethora of content you don't want. Just like cable TV.

You guess it. I saw the inevitability of this long ago and never even subscribed to Netflix. Nor do I subscribe to any streaming service,. I won't watch Discover on CBS All Access. I won't subscribe for Picard. And I certainly won't subscribe to Hulu to watch The Orville which I love after being to broadcast TV on Fox for two seasons.

FUCK 'em All.

I'd end up subscribing to Netflix, Hulu, CBS Access and god knows what else, for an incredible monthly price just to get all the programming I want. And I might have to replace my TV to connect to the internet. And since it is always in their cloud, I never really have the programming so have to pay and pay and Pay again everytime I view.

The assholes who buy into all of that to make this new model of RIP OFF Total Ass Reaming will get what they deserve. Simple solution: DON'T BUY INTO THE STREAMING SERVICES. Make their business model fail, But no. Consumers are suckers and will let themselves be reeled in like Guppies.

Instead, I get 45 channels of great HD programming on a 60" screen for free 24/7. On top of that, years ago, I devised my own system where I have over 1500 of the BEST movies, motion pictures, TV shows, documentaries, comedies, sitcoms, etc., all saved in HD into my own system retrievable, indexable and watchable ad infinitum on my command.

Commercial free.

With no one dipping into my pocket. I suppose if I wanted to, I could market it. But fuck 'em all. I got it, you don't.

Here's a peek at the the back of the main storage unit which is about half the system. HaHa. Stream away suckers. I'm a terrible consumer who doesn't like being exploited.

Hulu, Vudu, YouTube, Netflix, CBS All Access and the rest can all go get fucked. I have enough of the very best select programming of all time that if I watched TV 8 hours a day, It'd take me 5 years to go through it once, assuming I don't watch any NEW programming on my 45 free TV channels! Gobble Gobble!

PC303891-2.JPG

pay more and more and more across multiple services to get content you want, buried in a plethora of content you don't want. Just like cable TV.

You guess it. I saw the inevitability of this long ago and never even subscribed to Netflix. Nor do I subscribe to any streaming service,. I won't watch Discover on CBS All Access. I won't subscribe for Picard. And I certainly won't subscribe to Hulu to watch The Orville which I love after being to broadcast TV on Fox for two seasons.

FUCK 'em All.

I'd end up subscribing to Netflix, Hulu, CBS Access and god knows what else, for an incredible monthly price just to get all the programming I want. And I might have to replace my TV to connect to the internet. And since it is always in their cloud, I never really have the programming so have to pay and pay and Pay again everytime I view.

The assholes who buy into all of that to make this new model of RIP OFF Total Ass Reaming will get what they deserve. Simple solution: DON'T BUY INTO THE STREAMING SERVICES. Make their business model fail, But no. Consumers are suckers and will let themselves be reeled in like Guppies.

Instead, I get 45 channels of great HD programming on a 60" screen for free 24/7. On top of that, years ago, I devised my own system where I have over 1500 of the BEST movies, motion pictures, TV shows, documentaries, comedies, sitcoms, etc., all saved in HD into my own system retrievable, indexable and watchable ad infinitum on my command.

Commercial free.

With no one dipping into my pocket. I suppose if I wanted to, I could market it. But fuck 'em all. I got it, you don't.

Here's a peek at the the back of the main storage unit which is about half the system. HaHa. Stream away suckers. I'm a terrible consumer who doesn't like being exploited.

Hulu, Vudu, YouTube, Netflix, CBS All Access and the rest can all go get fucked. I have enough of the very best select programming of all time that if I watched TV 8 hours a day, It'd take me 5 years to go through it once, assuming I don't watch any NEW programming on my 45 free TV channels! Gobble Gobble!

View attachment 310839

In the 1990's when the record industry was reeling from the music God - Napster, Steve Jobs met with a group of recording owners and told them to stop fighting Napster, Limewire, Megauploads etc. - and join them instead.
Naturally they didn't listen.
So what did jobs do? He created iTunes and a device to play it - iPod. And the rest is history. Steve Jobs said to them "people want to be legal, but they will gladly be illegal if it is the only option" 'He was right.

For many years I pirated content. I refused to pay for inconvenience (DVD rental) when most of the time they were out of what you wanted to see, and/or pay the skyrocketing theater costs only to be continually disappointed in the movie.
I pirated everything via Pirates Bay and a few other Tor clients. I had HD quality "screener" original content sometimes BEFORE it came out in theaters.
I don't anymore. Because today there is a legal option. VUDU, Fandango etc. It is inexpensive, ad free and 4k Ultra quality.

My point is your setup is of course good, but most people want to be legal.
Just sayin.

The beauty of Netflix is for over 10 years they had no real competition. But they acted like they did. They kept themselves ad free, despite pressures from stockholders to split the service into ads and premium no ads. (Like Hulu)
They continued to improve their product with technology, continued to add content w/o raising prices. They never got greedy.
In today's globalistic/corporatism economy that is hell bent on ever lowering their cost - at all cost - while raising prices to the consumer.... Netflix has continued to resist that corrosive mentality.
I have feared for a long time that either Disney or Apple was going to buy them out, because they are the only companies big enough to do so... and then turn Netflix into a model of ever raising subscription, while cheapening content.
Well. That is effectively what they are doing. Disney is quietly building an entertainment monopoly, and they are now using that muscle to squeeze out Netflix so they can charge 5 times as much with half the content.
And the corporatism model of screwing the consumer in order to enrich a few dozen people continues to gain another market to exploit.

I'm betting it doesn't work. It will come down to costs and people will use youtube and other free media sources for their entertainment. Of late, I hardly even watch regular cable except for sports or the odd Big Bang rerun.

The only reason cable even has subscribers is due to live content, sports, news, "reality TV". The young are cutting their cable and it will continue as the internet becomes more easily viewable on TV in HD etc.

Imagine, charging someone for the pleasure of viewing ads and content that you dictate. Cable companies were geniuses. The younger generation are different, they aren't weened on this, they are weened on iphones and social media.

For this reason, I understand Netfixs position in keeping prices low, it keeps those who cut regular cable out from cancelling. If it gets too expensive, it defeats the purpose of leaving cable anyways. Getting a guaranteed $8-13 on a monthly basis with 200M global subscribers is a dream.

I don't care if it is Disney or others. They increase prices too high, people will turn their backs. There will always be a loyal base, but nothing lasts forever. I try not to be too critical of netflix because I like the service even as I know many of the movies are weak, and even political. I simply don't watch what I don't want to.

FUCK 'em All.

Commercial free.

View attachment 310839

In the 1990's when the record industry was reeling from the music God - Napster, Steve Jobs met with a group of recording owners and told them to stop fighting Napster, Limewire, Megauploads etc. - and join them instead.
Naturally they didn't listen.
So what did jobs do? He created iTunes and a device to play it - iPod. And the rest is history. Steve Jobs said to them "people want to be legal, but they will gladly be illegal if it is the only option" 'He was right.

For many years I pirated content. I refused to pay for inconvenience (DVD rental) when most of the time they were out of what you wanted to see, and/or pay the skyrocketing theater costs only to be continually disappointed in the movie.
I pirated everything via Pirates Bay and a few other Tor clients. I had HD quality "screener" original content sometimes BEFORE it came out in theaters.
I don't anymore. Because today there is a legal option. VUDU, Fandango etc. It is inexpensive, ad free and 4k Ultra quality.

My point is your setup is of course good, but most people want to be legal.
Just sayin.

I'm legal. I pirate nothing. I've never used Napster, I have iTunes in my Mac but never used it, I do have a fair number of Blu Rays, DVDs, even Laser Discs on top of said content, all bought and paid for legally. Nothing I have is pirated, nothing I have was gotten through bit torrent. I actually do have VUDU available in one device I have but have never bothered with it.

I'm betting it doesn't work. It will come down to costs and people will use youtube and other free media sources for their entertainment. Of late, I hardly even watch regular cable except for sports or the odd Big Bang rerun.

The only reason cable even has subscribers is due to live content, sports, news, "reality TV". The young are cutting their cable and it will continue as the internet becomes more easily viewable on TV in HD etc.

Imagine, charging someone for the pleasure of viewing ads and content that you dictate. Cable companies were geniuses. The younger generation are different, they aren't weened on this, they are weened on iphones and social media.

For this reason, I understand Netfixs position in keeping prices low, it keeps those who cut regular cable out from cancelling. If it gets too expensive, it defeats the purpose of leaving cable anyways. Getting a guaranteed $8-13 on a monthly basis with 200M global subscribers is a dream.

I don't care if it is Disney or others. They increase prices too high, people will turn their backs. There will always be a loyal base, but nothing lasts forever. I try not to be too critical of netflix because I like the service even as I know many of the movies are weak, and even political. I simply don't watch what I don't want to.

We don't have cable. And I don't miss it at all.
I kept cable for a while for news, but obviously today there is no news that is worth watching - which ironically is exactly what they want. The corporatist/globalist megalith wants the general public to know as little as possible. Keep them stupid and by all means divided. And they have done that flawlessly.

In my case I switch continually when watching from on programmer to the another.

I just watch the movies, and avoid getting into TV series and Seasons.

For watching the news I prefer the internet, at least over here I can read them without listening the stupid opinions from the hosts of those TV news.

I lived very well without Netflix, Amazon and others, but definitively I enjoy better entertainment while having them.

On to the thread:
Not so much anymore.
I cancelled cable the last day of Dec- all I used the TV for really is back ground noise, which I can get from you tube-
I do watch amazon prime at night while playing solitaire- I've seen some good movies and the Bosch series I enjoy.
One movie I searched for, "Dead Man Walking" with Bruce Willis isn't included with my prime acct but could be bought or rented- oh well- his and amazon's loss is my gain
Racing season for the World of Outlaws is about to get into full swing and I stream their races on Dirtvision-
I have Netflix and Amazon prime. I find good programs on both but I find Netflix easier to use. The Netflix profiles are really good for families. It is inevitable that the streaming business is going to change with so many new entries.

Eventually someone is going to get the bright idea of pulling together many different streaming services under one umbrella so you pay only one pay bill and moving between services is seamless with a single search that covers all services, kind of like cable.

On to the thread:
Not so much anymore.
I have Netflix and Amazon prime. I find good programs on both but I find Netflix easier to use. The Netflix profiles are really good for families. It is inevitable that the streaming business is going to change with so many new entries.

Eventually someone is going to get the bright idea of pulling together many different streaming services under one umbrella so you pay only one pay bill and moving between services is seamless with a single search that covers all services, kind of like cable.

Or you simply reject streaming altogether. I know, so difficult for you programming addicts. Streaming is just the latest attempt to move premium programming off regular TV making it obsolete to charge customers a premium fee once again for what they used to get for free. And Streaming junkies are falling for it hook, line, and sinker.

So now you have a fee for Netflix, CBS All Access and Hulu, if not others. What used to be cheap and good is getting expensive when usage is going up and fees OUGHT TO BE going down! Spending a fortune every month just to watch TV. Shifting the burden that used to be paid for by advertisers onto your own shoulders, except it isn't still quite commercial free, is it?

Now just to move it all under the umbrella of a "package" once again, with both the source and provider taking a cut and the consumer will have been once again led by the nose into paying out the ass for programming that should be and used to be free, except that rather than being OTA, they have simply moved it from cable and satellite to now over the internet.

BaHaha. BaHaaaa.

Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 1.02.01 AM.png

On to the thread:
Not so much anymore.

I didn't fear this, only because it was clearly obvious that this would happen. No point in fearing what is utterly unavoidable.

I knew this would happen the day NetFlix came into being.

When you look at post-box office revenue, the average movie charges $20 for a DVD. (roughly).

And that's for one movie.

Then you look at NetFlix charging $15/month, for every movie?

Logically there is no other assumption that could be made, except that the movie companies must be taking a huge loss.

So naturally they are going to open their own streaming services, that charge a month fee, that is limited to their own movies.

There is no way around this.

The only solution is to simply not buy their services. You don't have buy their stuff. I haven't seen a movie in years. Literally years and years.

So this is an entertainment expense. Not a life expense. You can choose to pay it, and choose not to. Yes, it was great while it lasted. It was a wonderful deal. Now that deal is coming to an end.

Make a decision. Either it's worth the money, or not.

On to the thread:
Not so much anymore.

Or you simply reject streaming altogether. I know, so difficult for you programming addicts. Streaming is just the latest attempt to move premium programming off regular TV making it obsolete to charge customers a premium fee once again for what they used to get for free. And Streaming junkies are falling for it hook, line, and sinker.

So now you have a fee for Netflix, CBS All Access and Hulu, if not others. What used to be cheap and good is getting expensive when usage is going up and fees OUGHT TO BE going down! Spending a fortune every month just to watch TV. Shifting the burden that used to be paid for by advertisers onto your own shoulders, except it isn't still quite commercial free, is it?

Now just to move it all under the umbrella of a "package" once again, with both the source and provider taking a cut and the consumer will have been once again led by the nose into paying out the ass for programming that should be and used to be free, except that rather than being OTA, they have simply moved it from cable and satellite to now over the internet.

BaHaha. BaHaaaa.

View attachment 317387
You can get access to streaming services through Comcast. I get both Netflix and Amazon Prime through Comcast. Although Comcast does not charge anything, you still must have a sign on to the streaming services. It's a bit expense but really nice to be able watch all the content from streaming services as well as all the Comcast content on a single big screen TV without messing around with the Internet or computers. So if I want to watch a movie or a series, I can just speak the name of movie or series into the remote and it will search through both Comcast and the streaming services. When found, I just click on it and the selection and it plays.

Comcast has apps for about 20 streaming service and a total of about 100 apps for other Internet entertainment venues.

Last edited:

On to the thread:
Not so much anymore.

I agree!

Barry Hussein suffers from the condition called "The Reverse Midas Touch."

On to the thread:
Not so much anymore.

I agree!

Barry Hussein suffers from the condition called "The Reverse Midas Touch."
What connection does the Obamas have with Netflix other than owning a production company that is producing 7 documentaries for Netflix.

On to the thread:
Not so much anymore.
I loved the Bosch series. I may watch it again as it has been long enough since I last watched it and I can't remember that much. I do love my Amazon Prime Video much better than my years at Netflix which I dropped more than two years ago when it was becoming too PC for my tastes in content.

On to the thread:
Not so much anymore.
I loved the Bosch series. I may watch it again as it has been long enough since I last watched it and I can't remember that much. I do love my Amazon Prime Video much better than my years at Netflix which I dropped more than two years ago when it was becoming too PC for my tastes in content.
If like the TV series you will probably love the books. They are available in most libraries in paper, E-books and Audiobooks. I've read them all.

You can get access to streaming services through Comcast. I get both Netflix and Amazon Prime through Comcast. Although Comcast does not charge anything, you still must have a sign on to the streaming services. It's a bit expense but really nice to be able watch all the content from streaming services as well as all the Comcast content on a single big screen TV without messing around with the Internet or computers. So if I want to watch a movie or a series, I can just speak the name of movie or series into the remote and it will search through both Comcast and the streaming services. When found, I just click on it and the selection and it plays.
Comcast has apps for about 20 streaming service and a total of about 100 apps for other Internet entertainment venues.
That is all fine and good Flop, and if that floats your boat and you want to spend the money, that's up to you. but as I alluded to above, I worked in the global telecom and electronics industry for years and am not a consumer. I get more TV programming than I can shake a stick at for free. And I have literally about 1600 premium select movies and other programming I can view at will WITHOUT going on the web or any cloud plus hundreds and hundreds more saved on other media. I have absolutely no need for streaming.

And since I get my internet service through FIOS fiber optic, if I did get streaming, it would be through them not a cable hub based Comcast. But then, Verizon would make me buy their TV service which I neither want nor need so we are right back at ground zero. I won't be pressured into buying something I don't want or need simply to get something else I do. If consumers would quit buying into all this crap with 8 boxes on their TV stand and 15 services so they can brag they have 5 HBOs, 4 Cinemaxes, and 9 other services they cannot begin to even use all of, companies would be forced to provide us with just what we want, the WAY we want it, in a simple and streamlined manner.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back