What I Hate About Math and Science Teachers

serenesam

Aug 6, 2011
Southern California
1). Stop saying that .0000000000000001 equals 0 (calculator does that too). The lie detector is 99.9% accurate but that doesn’t mean that it is 100% accurate. Sometimes, the lie detector results show “inconclusive.”

2). Stop saying that when data is found to be insignificant it is insignificant. Why? Because that which is insignificant can become significant. The emphasis in the word become suggests an automatic default change or the change initiated and/or manipulated by a human being and/or unknown party/parties. The dependent (outcome) variable can change by itself without any influence from the independent (manipulative) variable, can change with the influence of an independent (manipulative) variable (the saying that we can alter our social reality), or can change with the influence of unknown party/parties. The dependent (outcome) variable itself can also become its own independent (manipulative) variable. Hence, the change occurrence can be done by the entity itself; both of the activities of the independent variable and the dependent variable may or may not occur simultaneously. Please note that the statement "Stop saying that when data is found to be insignificant, it is insignificant because that doesn't mean that is not significant" is a direct analogy to a "metaphor" or "figurative speech." Just like in poetry, there is always a deeper meaning, a secondary meaning, or a meaning that has nothing to do with the denotative meaning. In that statement, I am not referring to "rejecting or accepting the null hypothesis" as taught in statistics. The statement can be interpreted as "Research has found a lot of significant data evidence supporting..." or "Research has found no significant statistical connection to support..." In this context, describing statistical significance has no relevance to the denotative definition of statistical significance taught in a basic statistics course.

3). Stop saying that the laws of physics are unbreakable. Why? Because they are breakable through the will of the Combined Consciousness. Yes, it is true that when you toss out an item out the window, it is supposed to fall to the ground but that doesn’t mean it has to fall to the ground; it can float in the air.

4). I once had a science teacher that kept saying "chips are bad for you because of fat". Today, there is a difference between "transfat", "saturated fat", and "unsaturated fat." I had another teacher that said "pizza is bad for you." No, actually most cereal is worse. Pizza has dairy, meat, and bread. Cereal has a lot of food coloring and sugar.

And ban .9 cents pricing on the gas pumps. I never seem to have $ .009 on me and my weed eater says to mix exactly 1 gallon of gas with 3.2 oz of oil.
But I cannot buy exactly one gallon of gas!

This thread has very little to do with "Math and Science Teachers". Someone obviously played "hooky". And played it well.

1). Stop saying that .0000000000000001 equals 0 (calculator does that too). The lie detector is 99.9% accurate but that doesn’t mean that it is 100% accurate. Sometimes, the lie detector results show “inconclusive.”

No Math or Science person would say that .0000000000000001=0. It doesn't. The lie detector is nowhere close to being 99.9% accurate. As a matter of fact the National Academy of Sciences found that lie detectors are "Unreliable, Unscientific and Biased". They have about an 80% accuracy rate. Maybe you had bad teachers. Besides, Math and Science teachers are NOT Mathematicians or Scientists.

2). Stop saying that when data is found to be insignificant it is insignificant. Why? Because that which is insignificant can become significant. The emphasis in the word become suggests an automatic default change or the change initiated and/or manipulated by a human being and/or unknown party/parties. The dependent (outcome) variable can change by itself without any influence from the independent (manipulative) variable, can change with the influence of an independent (manipulative) variable (the saying that we can alter our social reality), or can change with the influence of unknown party/parties. The dependent (outcome) variable itself can also become its own independent (manipulative) variable. Hence, the change occurrence can be done by the entity itself; both of the activities of the independent variable and the dependent variable may or may not occur simultaneously. Please note that the statement "Stop saying that when data is found to be insignificant, it is insignificant because that doesn't mean that is not significant" is a direct analogy to a "metaphor" or "figurative speech." Just like in poetry, there is always a deeper meaning, a secondary meaning, or a meaning that has nothing to do with the denotative meaning. In that statement, I am not referring to "rejecting or accepting the null hypothesis" as taught in statistics. The statement can be interpreted as "Research has found a lot of significant data evidence supporting..." or "Research has found no significant statistical connection to support..." In this context, describing statistical significance has no relevance to the denotative definition of statistical significance taught in a basic statistics course.

I-DO-NOT-KNOW-WHAT-TO-SAY? This is your arguement against what?

3). Stop saying that the laws of physics are unbreakable. Why? Because they are breakable through the will of the Combined Consciousness. Yes, it is true that when you toss out an item out the window, it is supposed to fall to the ground but that doesn’t mean it has to fall to the ground; it can float in the air.

Scientists don't say that the laws of physics are unbreakable. What is "Combined Consciousness"? Imagination? Yep, you can imagine anything. It does not make the laws of physics breakable. Science is not about saying anything for certain, its about collection information, observing a behavior, changing or updating new knowledge. Science seeks answer by measurement, experimenting, and testing and modifying.

4). I once had a science teacher that kept saying "chips are bad for you because of fat". Today, there is a difference between "transfat", "saturated fat", and "unsaturated fat." I had another teacher that said "pizza is bad for you." No, actually most cereal is worse. Pizza has dairy, meat, and bread. Cereal has a lot of food coloring and sugar.

Again, a science teacher is NOT a Scientist. Someone said "chips are bad". I'm glad you realize the inherent limits in that statement. It's exactly like saying cereal has food coloring and sugar. There's a lot left unsaid.

How old are you?

Take your stupid rumentations back to the science forums. Stupid won't sell very well here either.

Seeya!

No Math or Science person would say that .0000000000000001=0. It doesn't. The lie detector is nowhere close to being 99.9% accurate. As a matter of fact the National Academy of Sciences found that lie detectors are "Unreliable, Unscientific and Biased". They have about an 80% accuracy rate. Maybe you had bad teachers. Besides, Math and Science teachers are NOT Mathematicians or Scientists.

I-DO-NOT-KNOW-WHAT-TO-SAY? This is your arguement against what?

Scientists don't say that the laws of physics are unbreakable. What is "Combined Consciousness"? Imagination? Yep, you can imagine anything. It does not make the laws of physics breakable. Science is not about saying anything for certain, its about collection information, observing a behavior, changing or updating new knowledge. Science seeks answer by measurement, experimenting, and testing and modifying.

Again, a science teacher is NOT a Scientist. Someone said "chips are bad". I'm glad you realize the inherent limits in that statement. It's exactly like saying cereal has food coloring and sugar. There's a lot left unsaid.

How old are you?

Take your stupid rumentations back to the science forums. Stupid won't sell very well here either.

Seeya!

Well this isn't in the science section now is it? Look who is really stupid. :)

And ban .9 cents pricing on the gas pumps. I never seem to have $ .009 on me and my weed eater says to mix exactly 1 gallon of gas with 3.2 oz of oil.

2 guys are in front of me at the gas pump

They both have brand new gallon gas cans

They pump from differnt sides of the pump

According to the pumps they both got exactly 1 gallon of gas

One guy pays 3.54

One guy pays 4.00

Guess which pump i used.

1). Stop saying that .0000000000000001 equals 0 (calculator does that too).

Guess what, you are going to hate me also. That is zero in any real world application.

The lie detector is 99.9% accurate but that doesn’t mean that it is 100% accurate. Sometimes, the lie detector results show “inconclusive.”

Lie detectors are not 99.9% accurate. If they were they would be legal in court, lie detector results are always inconclusive.

2). Stop saying that when data is found to be insignificant it is insignificant. Why? Because that which is insignificant can become significant. The emphasis in the word become suggests an automatic default change or the change initiated and/or manipulated by a human being and/or unknown party/parties. The dependent (outcome) variable can change by itself without any influence from the independent (manipulative) variable, can change with the influence of an independent (manipulative) variable (the saying that we can alter our social reality), or can change with the influence of unknown party/parties. The dependent (outcome) variable itself can also become its own independent (manipulative) variable. Hence, the change occurrence can be done by the entity itself; both of the activities of the independent variable and the dependent variable may or may not occur simultaneously. Please note that the statement "Stop saying that when data is found to be insignificant, it is insignificant because that doesn't mean that is not significant" is a direct analogy to a "metaphor" or "figurative speech." Just like in poetry, there is always a deeper meaning, a secondary meaning, or a meaning that has nothing to do with the denotative meaning. In that statement, I am not referring to "rejecting or accepting the null hypothesis" as taught in statistics. The statement can be interpreted as "Research has found a lot of significant data evidence supporting..." or "Research has found no significant statistical connection to support..." In this context, describing statistical significance has no relevance to the denotative definition of statistical significance taught in a basic statistics course.[
]

You have just enough understanding to confuse yourself, you must be a college grad.

If something is insignificant it is insignificant. That does not make it insignificant in all circumstances, or even to everyone in the same circumstance, but the amount of money you have in your bank account means jack squat to 100% of the population of the world.

No it can't.

Your bad experiences with teachers are insignificant.

"Stop saying that the laws of physics are unbreakable. Why? Because they are breakable through the will of the Combined Consciousness."

Mind over matter? We will make millions! Combined Consciousness Ltd. I am drawing up the business plan now and intend to float it.

Isaac Asimov and Arthur C. Clarke were smarter than most science teachers. Reading there books was more informative about a proper scientific attitude that most teachers.

But other writers were decent also.

Omnilingual by Henry Beam Piper
Omnilingual - Henry Beam Piper | Feedbooks

psik

So that's where Republicans get their vast knowledge of "science". From "science FICTION" writers.

Maybe they aren't familiar with the work "fiction"?

2 guys are in front of me at the gas pump

They both have brand new gallon gas cans

They pump from differnt sides of the pump

According to the pumps they both got exactly 1 gallon of gas

One guy pays 3.54

One guy pays 4.00

Guess which pump i used.

The one in the shade!

Isaac Asimov and Arthur C. Clarke were smarter than most science teachers. Reading there books was more informative about a proper scientific attitude that most teachers.

psik

So that's where Republicans get their vast knowledge of "science". From "science FICTION" writers.

You have obviously never read any SF.

By the way, NASA apparently thinks science fiction is worth reading.

In an effort to introduce, inform and inspire readers about NASA, the agency's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md. has partnered with Tor-Forge Books to develop and publish a series of science-fiction-themed books.

Referred to as "NASA Inspired Works of Fiction," these books will be based on concepts pertinent to current and future agency missions and operations.

"Ultimately this agreement will benefit the public, as we look for innovative ways to communicate our past and current achievements, while focusing on the needs of the future," said Nona Cheeks, who directs Goddard's Innovative Partnerships initiatives.

Many people who work in science and technology often credit science fiction as a significant inspiration for their career choices. The enormous popularity of science fiction is a key element in this collaboration to make the books a gateway to the general public and generate awareness of the significant role NASA plays in our everyday live.

NASA will pair scientists and engineers with Tor-Forge writers to help raise awareness and enhance public interest in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM). NASA's goal is to attract and retain students focused on STEM studies, strengthening the agency and the nation's future workforce.

NASA - NASA And Tor-Forge Books Partner In Themed Science Fiction Works

I swear rdean, there are times it looks like you read over my shoulder in order to say dumb things that allow me to prove just how stupid you are. I just read about this today, and am actually looking forward to seeing some good old fashioned hard science SF instead of the twap that gets published today.

FYI, Isaac Asimov had a PhD in biochemistry, and invented the word robot.
Arthur C Clarke is credited with inventing the telecommunications satellite in a geostationary orbit, helped develop modern meteorology, and is generally recognized in the scientific community as a pioneer in space exploration.

Please, tell me again about the fiction in science fiction, because telecommunications satellites and the Clarke orbit were fiction when he wrote about them.

The OP would make a very bad attorney.

Just because cereal is worse than pizza does not mean pizza isn't bad for you.

Sincerely,

A Teacher

Combined Consciousness? Are you saying if I can convince enough people that I have a big penis I'll have a big penis?

(not that I don't have a big penis already:eusa_whistle:)

You're an idiot.

If they knew anything about math and science they wouldn't be teaching !

I gather from this post that your complaint is that math and science teachers don't teach MAGIC?

Yeah, I suppose most science and math teachers would admit that they are:

" GUILTY! as charged"

Last edited:

psik

You have obviously never read any SF.

By the way, NASA apparently thinks science fiction is worth reading.

In an effort to introduce, inform and inspire readers about NASA, the agency's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md. has partnered with Tor-Forge Books to develop and publish a series of science-fiction-themed books.

Referred to as "NASA Inspired Works of Fiction," these books will be based on concepts pertinent to current and future agency missions and operations.

"Ultimately this agreement will benefit the public, as we look for innovative ways to communicate our past and current achievements, while focusing on the needs of the future," said Nona Cheeks, who directs Goddard's Innovative Partnerships initiatives.

Many people who work in science and technology often credit science fiction as a significant inspiration for their career choices. The enormous popularity of science fiction is a key element in this collaboration to make the books a gateway to the general public and generate awareness of the significant role NASA plays in our everyday live.

NASA will pair scientists and engineers with Tor-Forge writers to help raise awareness and enhance public interest in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM). NASA's goal is to attract and retain students focused on STEM studies, strengthening the agency and the nation's future workforce.

NASA - NASA And Tor-Forge Books Partner In Themed Science Fiction Works

I swear rdean, there are times it looks like you read over my shoulder in order to say dumb things that allow me to prove just how stupid you are. I just read about this today, and am actually looking forward to seeing some good old fashioned hard science SF instead of the twap that gets published today.

FYI, Isaac Asimov had a PhD in biochemistry, and invented the word robot.
Arthur C Clarke is credited with inventing the telecommunications satellite in a geostationary orbit, helped develop modern meteorology, and is generally recognized in the scientific community as a pioneer in space exploration.

Please, tell me again about the fiction in science fiction, because telecommunications satellites and the Clarke orbit were fiction when he wrote about them.

Yet again deanie exhibits what a complete illiterate he is. Many SF authors were very well educated Dr. Robert Lull Forward was a physicist who worked for Hughes Aircraft Corp and consulted for NASA. He also just happened to write 10 or 11 SF novels. He was an expert in Gravitational Radiation Detection and had 18 patents that I know of when he passed away.

Forum List

Back