What I Hate About English Teachers

serenesam

Aug 6, 2011
Southern California
1). Stop criticizing students for using the same words over and over again. PhD professors who write textbooks use words over and over again like the word “of” twice in one sentence. The Bible used one word 5 times in one sentence. Look at Lincoln's Gettysburg Address - He used the word "nation", "people", and "devotion" repeatedly, sometimes two or three times in one sentence. When Obama was campaigning, I lost count of how many times he used the word “change” in his speeches. Repetition is beautiful to create power and emphasis.

2). English teachers place too much emphasis on making writing “interesting.” While this is wonderful, this may retard some students in their pursuance of studying law and business. It may retard intellectual rational thought processes. Keep in mind that there is a difference between making writing “interesting” and creative writing. I actually recommend creative writing if there are truths to it like poetry, music, lyrics, fictional story-telling. Creative writing is beautiful if you can manipulate words and truth to your benefit and put yourself in an advantageous situation. Creativity is the foundational essence of the Universe anyways.

3). The criticism of a “run-on sentence” or a “lengthy sentence” is absurd. I have seen philosophers and geniuses use 50 words in one sentence. Trust me, when you have a complicated mind, it is doable. Why do you think that the Omniscient/Omnipotent does not speak in words? Because it would sound like broken-up meaning.

4). There is no such thing as "going off topic." When you start to see that everything is connected to everything, one can compare an apple to an orange even if it doesn't make any sense. One can become too beyond average intellectual understanding to write an english paper in the compliance of the will of the teacher because it may take you a couple thousand pages to fully express what you want to say. Besides, the Primary Existence (the independent Supreme Being apart from us an all other things) is all over the place, spontaneous, irrational, non-logical, and unpredictable anyways.

5). Stop criticizing people for writing in the passive voice. There is nothing illegal about this. Some sentences have to be written in the passive voice for the complete true meaning of the sentence to take effect. Some science teachers even require this:

Passive Voice

The irony as to whether to write in the passive voice or not is that that which is perfect (Omniscient/Omnipotent) writes both in the active and passive voices anyways. Creation is both a passive and active act in of itself.

6). The Omniscient/Omnipotent is too big and complicated that it won't fit in a five page essay even with the act of paraphrasing and condensing. It is too complicated to have a continual and consistent picture framework like the way an essay in an English class has to be “well-structured.”

7). Stop criticizing students for being too vague. Sometimes, things are better stated being vague and not specific. "As Siddhartha walked into the room and held up a lotus, he did not speak, he just smiled for a picture is worth a thousand words." Being too specific can sometimes take away the value of the overall conceptual framework as to what is really occurring. Being vague may also allow one to see things on a global scale. For example, when people refer to poor people and how they are lazy, they are very specific and argue as if they think they are expert attorneys, but sometimes when you step back a little and you just get a vague perception of what is occurring, you see what is really happening and trust me, words cannot be described. There is more that meets the eyes. Notice that when I said "words cannot be described," it is written in the passive voice. I wonder how it would sound in the active voice. "One cannot describe the words." This works but I feel like the power of the meaning in the passive voice is more powerful and has a greater effect compared to the power of the meaning in the active voice.

1). Stop criticizing students for using the same words over and over again. PhD professors who write textbooks use words over and over again like the word “of” twice in one sentence. The Bible used one word 5 times in one sentence. Look at Lincoln's Gettysburg Address - He used the word "nation", "people", and "devotion" repeatedly, sometimes two or three times in one sentence. When Obama was campaigning, I lost count of how many times he used the word “change” in his speeches. Repetition is beautiful to create power and emphasis.

2). English teachers place too much emphasis on making writing “interesting.” While this is wonderful, this may retard some students in their pursuance of studying law and business. It may retard intellectual rational thought processes. Keep in mind that there is a difference between making writing “interesting” and creative writing. I actually recommend creative writing if there are truths to it like poetry, music, lyrics, fictional story-telling. Creative writing is beautiful if you can manipulate words and truth to your benefit and put yourself in an advantageous situation. Creativity is the foundational essence of the Universe anyways.

3). The criticism of a “run-on sentence” or a “lengthy sentence” is absurd. I have seen philosophers and geniuses use 50 words in one sentence. Trust me, when you have a complicated mind, it is doable. Why do you think that the Omniscient/Omnipotent does not speak in words? Because it would sound like broken-up meaning.

4). There is no such thing as "going off topic." When you start to see that everything is connected to everything, one can compare an apple to an orange even if it doesn't make any sense. One can become too beyond average intellectual understanding to write an english paper in the compliance of the will of the teacher because it may take you a couple thousand pages to fully express what you want to say. Besides, the Primary Existence (the independent Supreme Being apart from us an all other things) is all over the place, spontaneous, irrational, non-logical, and unpredictable anyways.

5). Stop criticizing people for writing in the passive voice. There is nothing illegal about this. Some sentences have to be written in the passive voice for the complete true meaning of the sentence to take effect. Some science teachers even require this:

Passive Voice

The irony as to whether to write in the passive voice or not is that that which is perfect (Omniscient/Omnipotent) writes both in the active and passive voices anyways. Creation is both a passive and active act in of itself.

6). The Omniscient/Omnipotent is too big and complicated that it won't fit in a five page essay even with the act of paraphrasing and condensing. It is too complicated to have a continual and consistent picture framework like the way an essay in an English class has to be “well-structured.”

7). Stop criticizing students for being too vague. Sometimes, things are better stated being vague and not specific. "As Siddhartha walked into the room and held up a lotus, he did not speak, he just smiled for a picture is worth a thousand words." Being too specific can sometimes take away the value of the overall conceptual framework as to what is really occurring. Being vague may also allow one to see things on a global scale. For example, when people refer to poor people and how they are lazy, they are very specific and argue as if they think they are expert attorneys, but sometimes when you step back a little and you just get a vague perception of what is occurring, you see what is really happening and trust me, words cannot be described. There is more that meets the eyes. Notice that when I said "words cannot be described," it is written in the passive voice. I wonder how it would sound in the active voice. "One cannot describe the words." This works but I feel like the power of the meaning in the passive voice is more powerful and has a greater effect compared to the power of the meaning in the active voice.

That was all very, very bad advice.

Forum List

Back