What Health Reform Actually Means for Seniors

Bfgrn

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2009
Dispelling the Lies: What Health Reform Actually Means for Seniors

A lot of seniors are worried about what will happen to their Medicare coverage now that health reform has passed. The rumors are abundant: "the government will tell you when to die." "The government will tell your doctor not to do surgery on you if you are old." "The cuts in Medicare will mean cuts in the services you receive." None of this is true.

Here's what health reform means for you if you are over 65 years of age.

1.) The Medicare program will be stronger not weaker.

* Health reform will put a lot more resources into making the Medicare program more efficient. The new head of Medicare (to be appointed shortly) is a physician who is a national leader in quality improvement. He is expected to help Medicare providers focus on doing better not just doing more.

2.) You can keep your same doctor and your same health plan.

* Health reform doesn't change the basic structure of Medicare. The same physicians and hospitals who treat Medicare patients now will likely treat them in the future. And if Medicare can pay doctors faster and better, it is more likely they will continue to treat Medicare patients.

3.) You will actually have improved benefits -- preventive services without a co-pay and help with the cost of your prescription drugs.

The Medicare prescription drug program (or Part D as it is called) will also be improved. If you take several prescription drugs, you probably already know about the "donut hole" -- that's the popular term for a gap in coverage between what Medicare pays for your drugs and what you have to pay yourself. This very complicated program often hits seniors unexpectedly when they go into the pharmacy to get a drug and find out they have to pay 100% of the cost themselves.

A third of all Medicare beneficiaries fall into the donut hole each year (where they have to pay 100% of their drug costs), and don't climb out gain until they have spent $3,610 of their own money.

Not only do seniors in the donut hole have to pay all the costs of their drugs themselves, but 15% stop taking their drugs because they can't afford them, and over half of those don't resume those drugs even when Medicare starts paying again. So, while the donut hole was designed to save Medicare money, it has had the unintended consequence of causing seniors a lot of anxiety, loss of substantial income, and potentially making their diseases worse by forcing them to choose among food, rent and the drugs they need to stay healthy.

But there is good news. Health reform will help seniors with these drug costs. This year, 2010, seniors falling into the donut hole will receive a $250 rebate from the government, and starting next year there will be a 50% discount on brand name drugs, which will ramp up to a 75% discount on brand and generic drugs by 2020, eventually closing the donut hole gap completely.

Whole Article...

Linda Bergthold is a health policy consultant and researcher. She has over twenty-five years of experience and was a working group leader in Hillary Clinton’s Health Care Reform Task Force in 1993. She has been an advocate of health care reform for two decades in California and nationally. She has a Masters and Doctorate from the University of California at Santa Cruz in Sociology and was a Pew Fellow at the University of California, San Francisco, institute for Health Care Policy. She and her husband have three children and four grandchildren.

this is known as pissing down your back and telling you it's rain.. if they could fix medicare and save money they could have done it without the clusterfuck they just passed.. next?

this is known as pissing down your back and telling you it's rain.. if they could fix medicare and save money they could have done it without the clusterfuck they just passed.. next?

Thanks for bumping my post...we've finally found a use for you willow...:lol::lol::lol:

glad to be of service to you creators of "death panels" just typical Nazi behavior..

Luissa,

Please explain how those 159 panels and review boards combined with $500B cuts in Medicare spending are going to affect Seniors.

just think,, you libruls can go to yer doctor and say.. I'm getting my visit for "FREE" without even thinking about all the money you stole from grandma! that damn kool aid does wonders for ya donut?

I see yet another thread by Bfgrn in which he manages to skip straight over any thought in favor of posting the words of others.

This, I find a rather common theme for the OP. All pie, no apple.

I see yet another thread by Bfgrn in which he manages to skip straight over any thought in favor of posting the words of others.

This, I find a rather common theme for the OP. All pie, no apple.

Interesting...you chose this thread to re-state your bullshit, instead of addressing me on the thread where I AGAIN challenged you to a debate. And guess what...not a PEEP from you on that thread since...irony or dishonesty Cali gal?

Just in case you forgot...http://www.usmessageboard.com/healthcare-insurance-govt-healthcare/111687-corporate-america-squealing-at-welfare-cuts.html

What Health Reform Actually Means for Seniors

Skull_crossbones.gif

Forum List

Back