What has Chevy Done???

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
With its gorgeous new C8 Corvette base-priced at $59,995, Chevy/GM has potentially devastated the American sports car market for the foreseeable future. Recent dyno testing indicates that GM's HP and torque figures are way below the actual numbers which are close to 600 in each case. 0-60 times of 2.8 seconds are real.

And lest one forget, the styling of this car, both inside and out are exotic-level, with only true cranks finding any fault with ANYTHING about this car.

So assuming GM can get cars to the showrooms, why would anyone spend $95k on a Porsche Cayman GTS, with its nifty FOUR CYLINDER lump? Or a Mercedes AMG coupe, or a BMW M-car? An Audi TT? Are you kidding? Jaguar F-Type? How would you like to be Toyota's Supra Product Manager, trying to sell $60 thousand Supra's these days?

Ford has been trying to make the case for the past few years that the high-end Mustangs are "sports cars," and pricing them accordingly. A GT350 for seventy grand? Even Camaro ZL-1's are instantly obsolete - as are remaining C7's, nice as they are. Hellcat Redeye's at $75k and up? Not so fast.

The resale value on C7's has been even better than Corvette's historically good values. The C8's will likely top even that. 60% of MSRP after five years is a reasonable guess.

I realize that people buy certain marques not because the cars are "good," but because they want to be see driving them, but for those sports car buyers who think rationally about it, the only real choice between $50 and 100k is a new C8.

With its gorgeous new C8 Corvette base-priced at $59,995, Chevy/GM has potentially devastated the American sports car market for the foreseeable future. Recent dyno testing indicates that GM's HP and torque figures are way below the actual numbers which are close to 600 in each case. 0-60 times of 2.8 seconds are real.

And lest one forget, the styling of this car, both inside and out are exotic-level, with only true cranks finding any fault with ANYTHING about this car.

So assuming GM can get cars to the showrooms, why would anyone spend $95k on a Porsche Cayman GTS, with its nifty FOUR CYLINDER lump? Or a Mercedes AMG coupe, or a BMW M-car? An Audi TT? Are you kidding? Jaguar F-Type? How would you like to be Toyota's Supra Product Manager, trying to sell $60 thousand Supra's these days?

Ford has been trying to make the case for the past few years that the high-end Mustangs are "sports cars," and pricing them accordingly. A GT350 for seventy grand? Even Camaro ZL-1's are instantly obsolete - as are remaining C7's, nice as they are. Hellcat Redeye's at $75k and up? Not so fast.

The resale value on C7's has been even better than Corvette's historically good values. The C8's will likely top even that. 60% of MSRP after five years is a reasonable guess.

I realize that people buy certain marques not because the cars are "good," but because they want to be see driving them, but for those sports car buyers who think rationally about it, the only real choice between $50 and 100k is a new C8.
Good for them. :dunno:

Corvette smorvette who cares? I happen to love my 2001 F 450 diesel truck.

Chevy shot themselves in the foot with the new C8 Corvette platform.

Corvette has always been the classic American style sports car. It had a powerful V8 engine under a long hood that was easy to access for enthusiast owners who liked to work on their cars and modify them for even more power.

Now the Corvette has typical european styling with the engine buried in the rear of the car. Which will be difficult for the average owner to attempt his own maintenance.

In my opinion, the new C8 will prove to be a marketing failure with the loyal Corvette crowd.. ... :cool:

Last edited:
Chevy shot themselves in the foot with the new C8 Corvette platform.

Corvette has always been the classic American style sports car. It had a powerful V8 engine under a long hood that was easy to access for enthusiast owners who liked to work on their cars and modify them for even more power.

Now the Corvette has typical european styling with the engine buried in the rear of the car. Which will be difficult for the average owner to attempt his own maintenance.

In my opinion, the new C8 will prove to be a marketing failure with the loyal Corvette crowd.. ... :cool:
/——/ They should offer two models, the mid engine and the traditional front engine for the purists. Both would sell

I'll likely buy a C6 at some point. That's basically the last Corvette generation that actually looks like a Corvette. They'll definitely drop in price when the C8 comes out. For now my C4 serves me fine. No way I'd pay what they're asking for the C8. It doesn't even look like a Corvette anymore. Looks like a Transformer. Same with the C7, it doesn't look like a Corvette anymore either.

Besides, the speed limit is 55 and 65 on I-95. 35 and 45 on most all other local roads. What good is all of that HP when everybody knows Corvettes are magnets for officer friendly? I prefer to just cruise the winding back roads anyway, I'm not out there trying to race people or to be the first car out of the red light or to pick up gold diggers at Wally World.

And here's the other thing. Everybody always asks how much you paid for it. The real question nobody ever asks is how much is costs to own a Corvette. You're paying three to four times what everyone else is paying for maintenance/parts/repair, etc, for no other reason than the fact that it's a Corvette. And fuel? Pffft. Don't even think about putting cheap gas in it. That's just asking for trouble. I'm paying $3.19 and up per gallon for BP Ultimate non-ethanol 98-100 octane every single fillup.

And they're not even daily drivers. Park it at work 5 days a week and watch how many dings it ends up with from other people banging their doors into it. You're really only driving them on weekends and at best 6-7 months out of the year, if you live anywhere that sees winter weather.

Last edited:

Look the new vetts have not had time to get towed as of yet. The Camaro was just cancelled, equinoxes are burning oil right out of the showroom, the volt was and is a joke. 99.999 percent of people can not afford or want a vette

Wake up

Last edited:

Look the new vetts have not had time to get towed as of yet. The Camaro was just cancelled, equinoxes are burning oil right out of the showroom, the volt was and is a joke. 99.999 percent of people can not afford or want a vette

Wake up
/——/ I wouldn’t mind an older Vette to tool around in. I’d have to clear out my garage. But you need to know your stuff, what years to avoid, what reoccurring problem you face and yes, reliably. On Long Island, I’d need to get flat bedded to the only mechanic I trust. Just too much headache.

Wake up
/——/ I wouldn’t mind an older Vette to tool around in. I’d have to clear out my garage. But you need to know your stuff, what years to avoid, what reoccurring problem you face and yes, reliably. On Long Island, I’d need to get flat bedded to the only mechanic I trust. Just too much headache.
I just test drove a c7 it was gorgeous, the only older vetts that interest me are the c3 models. Changing oil on the new models is a challenge from what I saw

I'll stick with my Raptor...
Lol enjoy the turbo hoses coming loose, then enjoy replacing the 10000 dollar turbos

I just test drove a mustang gt and find it comical that a muffler is a 995 dollar extra.

Lol ford also decided that Americans no longer want cars. Honda sales spiking

Brilliant

Lol enjoy the turbo hoses coming loose, then enjoy replacing the 10000 dollar turbos

I just test drove a mustang gt and find it comical that a muffler is a 995 dollar extra.

Brilliant
Is that just for the muffler, or is it an upgraded exhaust system?

Brilliant
The stock gt sounds like a blackhawk helicopter. The 995 dollar option quiets the car if you so choose. In a vette the quiet exhaust is standard the dual exhaust does the opposite and opens a baffle allowing for less constraint more volume and 5 more horses. So in a gt if you do not want to wake your neighbors you need spend another grand. Ford has the process ass backwards

Brilliant
The stock gt sounds like a blackhawk helicopter. The 995 dollar option quiets the car if you so choose. In a vette the quiet exhaust is standard the dual exhaust does the opposite and opens a baffle allowing for less constraint more volume and 5 more horses. So in a gt if you do not want to wake your neighbors you need spend another grand. Ford has the process ass backwards
Oh, I see. If im not mistaken, I believe the Ford GTs in Great Britain have to have the quiet muffler. That might even be for all of Europe.

Brilliant
Oh, I see. If im not mistaken, I believe the Ford GTs in Great Britain have to have the quiet muffler. That might even be for all of Europe.
Then ford can't pull this con there. In the USA ford has determined that all buyers get race car exhaust unless they spend 995 dollars more for a functioning exhaust that will not wake the entire neighborhood. I have no problem with a performance oriented user paying more for an unconstrained exhaust system in a mustang, however forcing the other 75 to 90 percent to fork over another grand for a functioning muffler should be investigated by the NHTSA as a defect.

Brilliant
Then ford can't pull this con there. In the USA ford has determined that all buyers get race car exhaust unless they spend 995 dollars more for a functioning exhaust that will not wake the entire neighborhood. I have no problem with a performance oriented user paying more for an unconstrained exhaust system in a mustang, however forcing the other 75 to 90 percent to fork over another grand for a functioning muffler should be investigated by the NHTSA as a defect.
I had had a GT, I would want it to be loud, but that's just me.

I saw the new Vette at the Monterey Classic Races in August and placed an order. They had a cutaway demonstrator so you could see how they set the engine bay. The thing will be a breeze to work on. Lift it, unscrew four or six bolts (I don't remember what they told me) and the entire engine package drops out for maintenance.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007

Forum List

Back