Zone1 What exactly did Jesus mean when He said "Father, forgive them, they know not what they do"?

All I know is that Jesus is God and so He knew humans were capable of crucifying Him though he did no wrong, and if they are capable of it, they will do it 9 times out of 10 (10 out of 10 when/if they do not know Him).

I say He knew from the beginning
This is one problem with Christians. Their focus is on Christ's crucifixion. That was not Christ's focus.

I just quoted the pertinent passages.
I quoted some also

nothing has been proven by us mortals here but I say Jesus knew from the beginning, from the time He was still in Heaven, that he would die on a cross

I am pretty sure Scripture shows that and it is likely the Catholic Church (I speak of the real one, not the sicko Vatican) teaches that

So

I say Jesus said this because sinners do not realize there is a horrific and painful eternal punishment awaiting them for their sins never repented of. See Mt 25:31 etc...

From all I have read about Hell (reliable sources), it is one godawful place of pain and misery and like a prison in that you cannot ever get out.

But I've noticed that humans lie to themselves (gee, shocker...) and the worst lie is that they will never have to suffer for their sins... and so they cling to them, refuse to repent. They prsumptuously think that God wouldn't even htink of tossing them into Hell.... and in a way He doesn't. But he allows sinners to toss themselves into it

God does not change.

It is we who must change...

They prsumptuously think that God wouldn't even htink of tossing them into Hell...But he allows sinners to toss themselves into it

Maybe not hell, but Revelation 20:15 says that He does cast folks into the lake of fire.

What exactly did Jesus mean when He said "Father, forgive them, they know not what they do"?

Well, one thing that comes to mind is this:

Humans do not know the hideousness of Hell that awaits them if they do not repent. Some of us have a glimpse of how hideous it is

See Faustina Diary 741

OMG doesn't begin to say it

You don't even want Nazi Pelousi going to a place like that
I believe that Christ was speaking of them who were ignorant of His truth and His Gospel message. They were simply following the orders given to them by other ignorant individuals. They erroneously thought they were doing the right thing but were sadly mistaken.

Millions of lost souls today "know not what they do" and are simply following the "popular" opinions of the folks they surround themselves with. We can tacitly forgive them while praying that their eyes are opened to God's truth, His promises, His gifts, and His Kingdom.

I believe that Christ was speaking of them who were ignorant of His truth and His Gospel message. They were simply following the orders given to them by other ignorant individuals. They erroneously thought they were doing the right thing but were sadly mistaken.

Millions of lost souls today "know not what they do" and are simply following the "popular" opinions of the folks they surround themselves with. We can tacitly forgive them while praying that their eyes are opened to God's truth, His promises, His gifts, and His Kingdom.
well, I tend to thinkGod does not allow anyone to end up in eternal misery when the person is totally oblivious to truth.. (though who can claim THAT?)

humans are known for avoiding, twisting and disagreeing with truth. And that may be the unforgivable sin or part of it.. rejecting Jesus, knowing that He is indeed Truth

Forum List

Back