What email provider do you recommend?

I set up 3 Cox Communications e-mail addresses I access through Outlook. One address is for friends and family. Another for personal business like charities I regularly contribute to, Social Security, Google and Microsoft accounts, Amazon, the company I retired from and such. Then there's the third I share with my wife for family stuff like our financial accounts, utilities, insurance, a newspaper subscription, Netflix, etc.

I have a Gmail that I provide for crap like restaurants, store coupons, logon access to miscellaneous stuff I find on the web such as Marine traffic and sports websites.

Not comcast if you need to access your account before 2PM. They have been a horrible email provider since COVID. Protonmail works okay.

Well you're fucked then because gmail is the best. Why are you leaving?

Looking to leave Gmail. What email provider do you use?
The local provider of your internet service, having a stake in your business and protecting their client base. If they cannot handle email effectively, efficiently relatively securely. They must be dumped.

Just so you know... many email providers are merely "skins" .... meaning... it IS gmail.
For good reason. Gmail has the best spam filters hands down, as well as the best malware filters. No one else comes close because they can't.
Not a fan at all at what Google has done to the internet, how it filters and arranges content by who paid them the most.
But their email is hands down the best

Just so you know... many email providers are merely "skins" .... meaning... it IS gmail.
For good reason. Gmail has the best spam filters hands down, as well as the best malware filters. No one else comes close because they can't.
Not a fan at all at what Google has done to the internet, how it filters and arranges content by who paid them the most.
My local provider has excellent spam filter as well the ones I have put on my system. I get very little spam from people I do not do business with regularly, like Amazon. I just checked and haven't had any for quite a while. I don't do business with or use Google, preferring living with Firefox and DuckDuckGo. They don't allow much of that crap either.

iamwhatiseem curious why you have concluded no one else can come close to Gmail's spam/malware filtering?

Muhammed what's your experience with Protonmail RE iamwhatiseem spam filter comments?

Not comcast if you need to access your account before 2PM. They have been a horrible email provider since COVID. Protonmail works okay.
You're the second mention of Protonmail, what do you like/dislike about them?

Register your own domain and get a hosting service (I personally recommend RackSpace) to provide your own email service with all the bells and whistle you need.

I set up 3 Cox Communications e-mail addresses I access through Outlook. One address is for friends and family. Another for personal business like charities I regularly contribute to, Social Security, Google and Microsoft accounts, Amazon, the company I retired from and such. Then there's the third I share with my wife for family stuff like our financial accounts, utilities, insurance, a newspaper subscription, Netflix, etc.

I have a Gmail that I provide for crap like restaurants, store coupons, logon access to miscellaneous stuff I find on the web such as Marine traffic and sports websites.
You and Viktor both mentioned Cox, did those email addresses come with your ISP contract? How is the spam filtering & email deliverability with them? Any concern about ISPs in general having access to your data?

The local provider of your internet service, having a stake in your business and protecting their client base. If they cannot handle email effectively, efficiently relatively securely. They must be dumped.
Do you use your own domain for your email address with your ISP? Does email come included with your other services?

Regarding relatively security you mentioned, what security do they have that makes you feel confident using them?

Do you use your own domain for your email address with your ISP? Does email come included with your other services?

Regarding relatively security you mentioned, what security do they have that makes you feel confident using them?
I do not have my own domain, as have not needed one. Email comes as part of services offered. It can be used and I do. I still have another account or two but rarely use them anymore, now that I do not travel on business.
They offer a free service, that I do not use anymore, that would drop spam and suspicious email into a report, I could read and opt to investigate or receive. It was cumbersome, for my tastes. I use Norton and of course my rules set in Microsoft, which I have tailored effectively to my needs, as well as my set-up options in FireFox and DuckDuckGo, preventing me being track or my system being easily penetrated. Anybody could be, but most spammers and attackers are just looking for the low-hanging fruits. It is rare for me to open email on my phone, unless on vacation somewhere.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back