What else will tweaked fungi and bacteria destroy?

RodISHI

Platinum Member
Nov 29, 2008
Skyence is based on theory. I'm wondering how many of these bacteria and fungi they are tweaking will create more health issues for us and the rest of the living beings on the planet. Is anyone testing that? What will be the long term effects of their skyence on the rest of life here on earth?

I sure do miss old fashion glass containers at the grocery store. More canning in the future if we want decent food as the grocery shelves have way too much garbage at this point.

Scientists from the University of Edinburgh have recently used a lab-engineered version of the bacteria E. coli to transform terephthalic acid, a molecule derived from PET, into the culinary flavouring vanillin, via a series of chemical reactions.
"Our study is still at a very early stage, and we need to do more to find ways to make the process more efficient and economically viable," says Dr Joanna Sadler, of the university's School of Biological Sciences.
"But it's a really exciting starting point, and there's potential for this to be commercially practical in the future after further improvements to the process have been made."
Meanwhile, a team at the Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research-UFZ in Leipzig is using a bacterium originally found in a local rubbish dump to break down polyurethane.
Called Pseudomonas sp. TDA1, the bacterium consumes around half the plastic to increase its own biomass, with the rest released as carbon dioxide.

Like other plastic-eating organisms, Pseudomonas breaks down the polyurethane using enzymes; and the team has now carried out a genomic analysis of the bacterium with the aim of identifying the particular genes that code for these enzymes...

Skyence is based on theory. I'm wondering how many of these bacteria and fungi they are tweaking will create more health issues for us and the rest of the living beings on the planet. Is anyone testing that? What will be the long term effects of their skyence on the rest of life here on earth?

I sure do miss old fashion glass containers at the grocery store. More canning in the future if we want decent food as the grocery shelves have way too much garbage at this point.

Scientists from the University of Edinburgh have recently used a lab-engineered version of the bacteria E. coli to transform terephthalic acid, a molecule derived from PET, into the culinary flavouring vanillin, via a series of chemical reactions.
"Our study is still at a very early stage, and we need to do more to find ways to make the process more efficient and economically viable," says Dr Joanna Sadler, of the university's School of Biological Sciences.
"But it's a really exciting starting point, and there's potential for this to be commercially practical in the future after further improvements to the process have been made."
Meanwhile, a team at the Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research-UFZ in Leipzig is using a bacterium originally found in a local rubbish dump to break down polyurethane.
Called Pseudomonas sp. TDA1, the bacterium consumes around half the plastic to increase its own biomass, with the rest released as carbon dioxide.

Like other plastic-eating organisms, Pseudomonas breaks down the polyurethane using enzymes; and the team has now carried out a genomic analysis of the bacterium with the aim of identifying the particular genes that code for these enzymes...
Do you plan on eating plastic eating bacteria?

I love mushrooms. Do you know why everybody loves mushrooms?

Because they're "Fun Guys" 😄

Do you plan on eating plastic eating bacteria?

I love mushrooms. Do you know why everybody loves mushrooms?

Because they're "Fun Guys" 😄
I'm thinking perhaps long term on all the skyence should be known before releasing a lot more crap into the environment. Ideonella sakaiensis eats polymers. Does it limit itself to man made polymers or can it eat natural ones too?

For example, some toxins are released as plastic eating bacteria by-products. These have the potential to harm the environment more than the plastic waste itself, and since they are entirely lab-created, they are untested in the environment.

Natural polymers occur in nature and can be extracted. They are often water-based. Examples of naturally occurring polymers are silk, wool, DNA, cellulose and proteins. ... Vulcanized rubber is a synthetic (man-made) polymer, while pectin is an example of a natural polymer.

I don't get this:
"skyence"
What's the point?
Pie in the sky for a money making scam. The plastic problem is simple to solve if people quit being lazy; just quit using plastic shit for everything.

Almost all the canned or fresh food you find in a grocery store are man-made mutations. Since the 1940's atomic radiation was used on seeds to get "better" varieties. The mutations of course were a random scattershot, where most of them were failures. Non-GMO is an oxymoron because almost all food is GMO. Unfortunately they are bred for color, shape and easy harvesting. Produce aisle "presentation" is more important than nutrition and taste.

Pie in the sky for a money making scam. The plastic problem is simple to solve if people quit being lazy; just quit using plastic shit for everything.
That doesn't remove the plastic that is already there. So that would not solve the problem

Forum List

Back