What does this accomplish?

Doogie_Howser

Rookie
Aug 21, 2011
What drove you to seek out this discussion board or others like it? Did you come here to listen or to speak? To help or to hurt? I came here hoping to find some productive discussion about the issues facing our country, and instead found a microcosm of all that is wrong with it: we, as a country, have allowed our thoughts to be replaced by rhetoric.

Let us all agree that our views could be improved, the other party are not all idiots, and a completely Republican or Democrat America would be a worse one. If you disagree, you are not a true American, you are a facist. Look it up.

This is a bitter pill to swallow, but swallow it we must, lest we become yet another example of a country destroyed from within by political bickering. Those of us who are not facists need to grow up, listen up, and own up instead of regurgitating crap from MSNBC or FOX. These discussion boards and those who care enough about our nation to participate in them are the last best chance we have at transcending the deepening rift ruining our country.

Heres a thought. Read about the opposing party. Understand it has its own strengths. Listen instead of speak. Stop posting one-sided questions as topics: it is as ignorant as it is unproductive. Participate in discussions to help, leave out the childish commentary intended to hurt. Use that squishy thing in your head to come up with solutions instead of using rhetoric to whine.

The internet is the only place we have left to discuss these issues plainly. This is the last place where a discussion can take place between Republican and Democrat without being had through pundits, politicians and the half-truths with which they speak. I believe that any well informed citizen can do the job of a politician as well, if not better than the politicians themselves. With the internet, with discussion boards like this and with people like you, we can prove once and for all that politicians are, at best, the secrataries to the collective voice of its people. I would love to see the Washington elite humbled by creative solutions yeilded through the anonymous collaboration of thousands, the guru's best ideas elementary in comparison. It can happen, it will happen, but only if we find the wisdom to admit error, the maturity to resist gloating, and the patience to understand one another.

This isn't a pep-talk, it's the game-plan. It's my two cents for the cure for a crumbling nation, it's not perfect, but there's not a person out there who can say it's not worth a shot. It's not genius, it is simple, and I believe it to be true. Optimistic, maybe, but optimism, like truth, is viral.

If you've read this all, thankyou. If you disagree, leave some feedback why, suggestions for improvement. If you agree, do your best to share it, to make it yours and live it, remembering is not enough.

Accomplish? I just like discussing what is going on with my fellow Americans. I've learned how to better organize my thoughts and arguments and learned more about myself than anything else.

What drove you to seek out this discussion board or others like it? Did you come here to listen or to speak? To help or to hurt? I came here hoping to find some productive discussion about the issues facing our country, and instead found a microcosm of all that is wrong with it: we, as a country, have allowed our thoughts to be replaced by rhetoric.

Let us all agree that our views could be improved, the other party are not all idiots, and a completely Republican or Democrat America would be a worse one. If you disagree, you are not a true American, you are a facist. Look it up.

This is a bitter pill to swallow, but swallow it we must, lest we become yet another example of a country destroyed from within by political bickering. Those of us who are not facists need to grow up, listen up, and own up instead of regurgitating crap from MSNBC or FOX. These discussion boards and those who care enough about our nation to participate in them are the last best chance we have at transcending the deepening rift ruining our country.

Heres a thought. Read about the opposing party. Understand it has its own strengths. Listen instead of speak. Stop posting one-sided questions as topics: it is as ignorant as it is unproductive. Participate in discussions to help, leave out the childish commentary intended to hurt. Use that squishy thing in your head to come up with solutions instead of using rhetoric to whine.

The internet is the only place we have left to discuss these issues plainly. This is the last place where a discussion can take place between Republican and Democrat without being had through pundits, politicians and the half-truths with which they speak. I believe that any well informed citizen can do the job of a politician as well, if not better than the politicians themselves. With the internet, with discussion boards like this and with people like you, we can prove once and for all that politicians are, at best, the secrataries to the collective voice of its people. I would love to see the Washington elite humbled by creative solutions yeilded through the anonymous collaboration of thousands, the guru's best ideas elementary in comparison. It can happen, it will happen, but only if we find the wisdom to admit error, the maturity to resist gloating, and the patience to understand one another.

This isn't a pep-talk, it's the game-plan. It's my two cents for the cure for a crumbling nation, it's not perfect, but there's not a person out there who can say it's not worth a shot. It's not genius, it is simple, and I believe it to be true. Optimistic, maybe, but optimism, like truth, is viral.

If you've read this all, thankyou. If you disagree, leave some feedback why, suggestions for improvement. If you agree, do your best to share it, to make it yours and live it, remembering is not enough.

You are wasting your breath on all but a handful on here.
Most are blindly partisan parrots.

You are wasting your breath on all but a handful on here.
Most are blindly partisan parrots.

:lmao: But you're not one of them, right? :lol:

It's necessary to gain perspective, sepecially if one is isolated, but i no longer care who i hurt or help. being ashmed to admit to being a member of the human race

Then you'll find most are fascists , and probably proud of it......

Critical thinking is so out of vough.....

read Mine Kamph, and get back to me

The internet is the only place we have left to discuss these issues plainly. This is the last place where a discussion can take place between Republican and Democrat without being had through pundits, politicians and the half-truths with which they speak. I believe that any well informed citizen can do the job of a politician as well, if not better than the politicians themselves. With the internet, with discussion boards like this and with people like you, we can prove once and for all that politicians are, at best, the secrataries to the collective voice of its people. I would love to see the Washington elite humbled by creative solutions yeilded through the anonymous collaboration of thousands, the guru's best ideas elementary in comparison. It can happen, it will happen, but only if we find the wisdom to admit error, the maturity to resist gloating, and the patience to understand one another

The internet is highly monitored, and monopolized.

You are only participant to the ilusion of free speech

because free speech isn't free

it cost's $$$$ honey

howl away....

grab a mit, play SS, and talk to some of us that have the cynism of a ball team owner then

~S~

Too idealistic. You need to figure out how those who know that "only little people pay taxes" and the grunts paying for everything and working their asses off, and those who know that they are entitled to freeload, since it is economic justice, can live together.

Only works with monopoly money ala Helicopter Ben. Sooner or later the system will collapse, they moved too many jobs overseas, the economy is going to stall, then crash. It won't be pretty.

I've only been here for a short time, but I've been doing the message board thing for a while. I just like to shoot the shit, and express my opinions on certain things. Some good info and discussions come out of it at times, but uh, this isn't exactly the place for meaningful conversations that will morph into solutions to Americas problems.

It's the internet, society's great abyss of anonymity. If you don't have a thick skin, you're in the wrong place.

If we were truly DEBATING then the adversarial process would be beneficial but not based on ad hominen assults on our fellow debators

Of course many of us here are not debating issue so much as trolling to cause other players pain.

This is why, in real life, children are sent outside to play when the adults are talking, incidently.

We have always had political rhetoric ;
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Drl8fpWTKo&NR=1]Election of 1800 Attack ads - YouTube[/ame]

The presumption that we were all just parroting media outlets was condescending and wrong. When someone expects me to just drop my principles in order to compromise, I'm pretty much done listening to their speech. Read, "Everything I Need to Know, I Learned in Kindergarten".

What drove me to seek it out? I guess that would be boredom. Looking for a place to kill a little time, stumbled across the place, make an appearance from time to time, find a way to entertain myself, then I move on with my life.

If I were looking for a place to have serious discussion, button down discussion, the internet is probably not the best place to look. At least this place is far ahead of wastelands I have come across on other message boards.

I believe it was Ed Koch that said, "If you want to vote for someone you agree with all the time, you should probably run yourself." Well, if you want a message board like you are talking about, start one.

I have been doing the messageboard thing on a variety of sites for many years.
It is pretty simple really...

1) About 75% of internet posters no matter where you go are trained lap dogs for their respective parties. Posting beyond Kool Aid rhetoric is beyond their depth or desire to educate themselves.
2) About 10% are trolls that comprise of snotty teenagers or basement dwelling unemployed 30 years olds who have no life other than bugging the sh*t out of us.
3) That leaves about 15% who are genuine posters that pretty much say what they believe one way or another and whose opinions are generally well thought out and informed.

I try to respond/read the latter...but then again...sometimes it is entertaining to read just how f*cked up people are.

Forum List

Back