ding

Confront reality
Oct 25, 2016
Houston
The Bible tells us that we are rebels. That we are at war with God. Christianity teaches that we can change. That we can transform ourselves.

"...The word “repent” in the Greek is metanoia. Metanoia means to change your mind. Our thoughts, the flow of consciousness which determines our behaviors, can change. Metanoia has to do with moral activity, but goes beyond that. Jesus was teaching that we could change our mind about how we treat people. We don’t have to be unforgiving and cynical. We can change our mind about being negative. We can think positive thoughts and walk in faith instead of doubt. We can change our minds about sin. Rather than being caught in the strongholds of consistent habits of lust or selfishness, for example, we can experience freedom and selflessness. Jesus would not have told us to change unless it was possible and attainable."

"...The Bible is full of words that speak about change. Repentance, metamorphosis, transformation, conversion, resurrection, rebirth, renewal, regeneration, healing and transfiguration: they all mean change! Surely the Word of God is telling us that change is possible! In other words, there is no rut deep enough and no mud thick enough to prevent you from progressing and going forward in your life.

Jesus called people to change. When he spoke, things happened. Peter abandoned his nets, boat, and family and followed him. Matthew left the security of his unjust income and followed Jesus. Throughout the Gospels women and men, rich and poor, encountered Jesus and their lives were never the same.

The urgency of his proclamation stressed that now is the right time to change. He was also saying that because of our fallen nature, change is a necessity...." You Can Change by Fr. Cedric Pisegna

Homilies of Father Paul Yi: Fr. Cedric Pisegna Mission 2nd Night: Sept. 28, 2015

Burt Reynolds in the 1978 movie "The End"

He swam a long way out in order to commit suicide, but changed his mind and turned back towards shore. ..... :cool:

Last edited:
My question for you, is there forgiveness without repentance?

That is a great question. What do you think?

No.
Can you forgive someone who has not apologized or changed their ways?

that is the discussion I had the other day about the movie "The Shack." When I heard the plot line I said it would be very hard to forgive the man who killed your daughter. To which I was told that was what the story was about. I believe that if the killer didn't repent then the man was merely forgetting what the man did not forgiving what the man did.

That said, forgiving anyone is for the person doing the forgiving. The man could have went through his life hating the man who killed his daughter, but he didn't. His life moved on in a more positive direction because he forgave the man. Instead of harboring hate he harbored love, of Christ, and it is always better when we feed the good dog inside us.

But for God, yeah, repentance is required.

But it sure wouldn't be easy.

No.

that is the discussion I had the other day about the movie "The Shack." When I heard the plot line I said it would be very hard to forgive the man who killed your daughter. To which I was told that was what the story was about. I believe that if the killer didn't repent then the man was merely forgetting what the man did not forgiving what the man did.

That said, forgiving anyone is for the person doing the forgiving. The man could have went through his life hating the man who killed his daughter, but he didn't. His life moved on in a more positive direction because he forgave the man. Instead of harboring hate he harbored love, of Christ, and it is always better when we feed the good dog inside us.

I read the book. It was excellent. I don't know the answer. I'm still working it out.

No.

Forgiveness is tough for me once it reaches a particular and deliberate level. Someone bumps into you or accidentally does something, no problem, I can forgive them. Someone viciously impacts mine or my familys' I pray to God for them and ask the Good Lord to get vengence, as he said he would in Romans 19:11. Justice in one form or another is required or life just doesn't feel right.

Forum List

Back