What does an actor/actress draw from residual earnings?

JOSweetHeart

Gold Member
Jun 27, 2012
East Tennessee
I just now saw this recent write up concerning actress Brett Butler here. Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but does every person who is a part of an episode of any show get the same amount of money or do the main cast members get more than those who make the other appearances?

God bless you and Brett always!!!

Holly

P.S. As of right now, her show from the 90s named Grace Under Fire is a part of the LAFF network line up. Another question that I have is do cast members get anything when their work is purchased on DVD?

I think they get some kind of residual payments, unless their agent is ripping them off.

Not necessarily. The cast of Gilligans Island got zero residuals. And it's customary to pay the leading lady less than the leading man as the big muckidy mucks think that it's fairly easy to replace a leading lady as compared to a leading man. The Industry isn't a fair one and it's cut throat. And the Agent loses when the client loses.

but does every person who is a part of an episode of any show get the same amount of money or do the main cast members get more than those who make the other appearances?
It depends on the contract they signed. There is no standard practice here. Rarely do cast members get paid the same. It's usually dependent on the draw of the actor/actress.

It depends on the contract they signed. There is no standard practice here. Rarely do cast members get paid the same. It's usually dependent on the draw of the actor/actress.

There is a somewhat standard practice unless you have negotiated something better. The standard SAG union provision is a pot of around 45% of revenue for the first year and 40% the second year, then 35% the following 3 years and then continued 5% step downs to 5%. That pot gets divied up among a lot of people, not just the actors though. If someone is getting more than the other actors, then they are getting it off the backend beyond the residuals (residuals get priority over back end pay outs) meaning they basically have some quasi ownership right in the show beyond just their performance contract. I have read that a lot of A-list actors negotiate pretty good back-end deals in lieu of higher front-end salaries which studios like because it keeps their original production costs down and they don't have to pay it unless the production is making money.

Compensation for actors is an individual kind of thing that is negotiated. There isn't a standard figure.

Depends on a lot of factors, mostly the appeal of the actor when the film is being cast.

Depends on the contract and some residuals end after so many years. Lower level actors usually just get salary
Grace under Fire was not getting a lot of play.

Brett Butler had emotional issues and messed up her life. That is why she was broke

Last edited:
It's my understanding that for many early TV shows, the actors didn't get residual earnings. As others have already stated, it depends on the contract.

Thank you, everyone. What about when the DVDs are purchased? Do cast members get any of that money? Forgive me if I overlooked an answer to that question.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Thank you, everyone. What about when the DVDs are purchased? Do cast members get any of that money? Forgive me if I overlooked an answer to that question.

God bless you always!!!

Holly
Older shows didn’t anticipate a VHS/DVD market

More recent, it again depends on what your agent negotiated for you. Same applies to Netflix

Older shows didn’t anticipate a VHS/DVD market

More recent, it again depends on what your agent negotiated for you. Same applies to Netflix

Maybe not, however future markets were still considered at least from the 1950's. When TV was first introduced, it was unanticipated, yet older films were being shown on the new medium.

Agents knew that such a possibility as VHS or DVD could be introduced at a future point in time.

They make more feeding gurls Bat cum
87th-annual-hollywood-christmas-parade-in-los-angeles-california-featuring-tracy-posner-burt-ward-where-los-angeles-california-united-states-when-25-nov-2018-credit-sheri-determanwenncom-R9RJKH.jpg

It's my understanding that for many early TV shows, the actors didn't get residual earnings. As others have already stated, it depends on the contract.

The cast of Gillians Island believed it would fail quickly so they grabbed the money up front. It was thought to fail even when it was in the number one spot. I doubt that anyone could foresee that it would so successful in re-runs.

Meanwhile, the Star Trek main cast chose the residuals with fewer up fronts. And when Star Trek left, it was on the bottom while
Gillians Island left in the #1 spot.

Have a good friend from my school days that works in the busines . Spoke to her some years back and she confirms what the other postesr have already posted. Her agent negotiates everything for her. She just as she put it a'' B -lister'' She get some pay for work she has done years ago. Any time her likeness, work or past perfomance is used she gets paid.

Forum List

Back