What Do YOU Think Makes A Normal, Happy, Contented, Moral Life

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
My own perspective is living my life, personally and professionally to the limits that God gave me. With that said, I infrequently inject religion into my conversations in real life. I'm not evangelical, I believe my best recommendation to Christ is by example and explaining my faith, when asked.

I've raised three children within those guidelines, we went to church together on Sundays and holydays. They were brought up with the teachings of our Church. We prayed a meals and bedtimes, with examples set of giving thanks, praise, and requests for help as the occassions arose.

They were taught and I practice giving help when help is needed, through acts of kindness, money, and service. My children all do the same. I would say I give much more outside of my particular church, through community opportunities than within it. That is a reaction to the particular acts of my church, not bad, just not what I wish to participate in any great degree.

Well, that's it for a start, any other ideas?

I have just a few rules that would help lead people to be contented but in a nutshell:

With few exceptions, as long as there is no force or fraud, people should be free to do as they please under mutually informed consent. Be true to yourself. Live and let live.

In general, (1.) if each individual would be true to take care of himself – not concerning himself what other people may think, and (2) if people would mind their own business – stop pushing themselves into other people lives and trying to live their lives for them – that is the key to living a normal, happy, contented moral life.

Unfortunately, people don’t want normal happy contented moral lives. Many people worry about what other people may think. Also, many people who often can’t take adequate ethical control of their own lives seem bent on telling other people how to live.

I have just a few rules that would help lead people to be contented but in a nutshell:

With few exceptions, as long as there is no force or fraud, people should be free to do as they please under mutually informed consent. Be true to yourself. Live and let live.

In general, (1.) if each individual would be true to take care of himself – not concerning himself what other people may think, and (2) if people would mind their own business – stop pushing themselves into other people lives and trying to live their lives for them – that is the key to living a normal, happy, contented moral life.

Unfortunately, people don’t want normal happy contented moral lives. Many people worry about what other people may think. Also, many people who often can’t take adequate ethical control of their own lives seem bent on telling other people how to live.

Some people are so immoral and/or stupid someone NEEDS to be telling them how to live.

Some people are so immoral and/or stupid someone NEEDS to be telling them how to live.

There are facilities and services for those who are too stupid to take care of themselves. There are prisons for those who are a danger to others. No one needs to be told how to live if the person doing the living is not hurting anyone. There is no need for you to take care of others who don’t want or need your care. Therefore do yourself a favor and leave other people alone.

There are facilities and services for those who are too stupid to take care of themselves. There are prisons for those who are a danger to others. No one needs to be told how to live if the person doing the living is not hurting anyone. There is no need for you to take care of others who don’t want or need your care. Therefore do yourself a favor and leave other people alone.

I notice in your self-righteous indignation you are more than willing to tell me how to live simply because I am not of the same opinion you are. Your opinion completely ignores the nature of man and the reality of the world in which man lives.

1) Be content with what God has been given you. Don't be some wussy boy who's always complaining about who has more stuff than you. When God hands you lemons, use them to kill terrorists, because lemonade is gay. If you can only be happy by being better than everybody else, you'll never be happy.

2) Follow God's rules. There's not really a whole lot of them. They're all pretty simple. I know I'm always happier when I'm following them.

3) Help other people in any way reasonably possible. The only thing better than picking somebody up out of the mud is watching them pick somebody else out of the mud.

There's more, but I'm going to go be lazy.

I notice in your self-righteous indignation you are more than willing to tell me how to live simply because I am not of the same opinion you are. Your opinion completely ignores the nature of man and the reality of the world in which man lives.

Yeah. You are free to speak your mind and give your opinion. I am free to choose to pay attention or to not pay attention. I am free to speak my mind and give my opinion. You are free to choose to pay attention or to not pay attention. The title of this thread is “What Do YOU Think Makes A Normal, Happy, Contented, Moral Life”. My answer to this question remains:

Treat others the way you would want to be treated, be kind and courteous to those around you regardless of whether they are or not to you, and try to live life to the utmost without trying to set impossible goals for yourself.

the path to happiness is simple, but not largely traveled.

Its virtue, uprightness, faithfulness, holiness, and keeping the commandments of God. That is the path to happiness. that is why God gives us commandments and speaks from the heavens, to teach His children how to be happy.

Then why do so many people buy self help books on how to be happy?

Its simple, they really dont know how. They do need to be told how to live to be happy. They are screaming out for it. And unfortunately people are feeding them bull about focusing on oneself. The way to be happiness is to lose yourself in service of others.

On a side note: why do you think caring enough about others so as to be willing to help them become happy is so offensive to you? How can anyone truly be happy and not want that for others and be willing to do anything to help them become so?

I know what leads to unhappiness: departing from God's Commandments, and not following Jesus' teachings. All kinds of trouble comes to those who live sin-filled lives. By extrapolation, and in my experience, living in accordance with God's laws will produce the most happiness. You can greatly reduce or eliminate out-of-wedlock pregnancy (a leading cause of a lifetime of poverty), STD's, addictions, jail time, broken homes due to adultery, etc.

At the same time, you have an outside moral standard to follow when your internal sinful nature tells you it is OK to cheat, steal, sleep around, do drugs, and all of those other instant gratifications.

Oh, and exercise and lots of drinking water too!

I know what leads to unhappiness: departing from God's Commandments, and not following Jesus' teachings. All kinds of trouble comes to those who live sin-filled lives. By extrapolation, and in my experience, living in accordance with God's laws will produce the most happiness.

You can greatly reduce or eliminate out-of-wedlock prgenancy (a leading cause of a lifetime of poverty), STD's, addictions, jail time, broken homes due to adultery, etc. At the same time, you have an outside moral standard to follow when your internal sinful nature tells you it is OK to cheat, steal, sleep around, do drugs, and all of those other instant gratifications.

Oh, and exercise and lots of drinking water too!
I'd like to say many atheists and agnostics lead happy and complete lives.

My own perspective is living my life, personally and professionally to the limits that God gave me. With that said, I infrequently inject religion into my conversations in real life. I'm not evangelical, I believe my best recommendation to Christ is by example and explaining my faith, when asked.

I've raised three children within those guidelines, we went to church together on Sundays and holydays. They were brought up with the teachings of our Church. We prayed a meals and bedtimes, with examples set of giving thanks, praise, and requests for help as the occassions arose.

They were taught and I practice giving help when help is needed, through acts of kindness, money, and service. My children all do the same. I would say I give much more outside of my particular church, through community opportunities than within it. That is a reaction to the particular acts of my church, not bad, just not what I wish to participate in any great degree.

Well, that's it for a start, any other ideas?

I'd say that pretty much nails it.

Then why do so many people buy self help books on how to be happy?

Seek and ye shall find. I certainly advocate helping those who ask for help. The annoying thing is when people butt in when and where they are not welcome.

They do need to be told how to live to be happy. They are screaming out for it. And unfortunately people are feeding them bull about focusing on oneself. The way to be happiness is to lose yourself in service of others.

I think that we agree. Do you think that happiness can be found in trying to help people who don’t want help?

On a side note: why do you think caring enough about others so as to be willing to help them become happy is so offensive to you? How can anyone truly be happy and not want that for others and be willing to do anything to help them become so?

Wow. I guess that I did not explain my position very well. Even I help people. I volunteered at Caritas and Habitat For Humanity. People should try to help those who ask for help. I think that I get offended when I see nosey busybodies who think that they know “the way” impose themselves on people who don’t want their help.

I'd say that pretty much nails it.

Thank you! I think some might find this of interest. Seems there is now some proof, which others are certainly open to challenge, that the folks who hold the 'traditional American values' dear, still contribute to the 'welfare' of the communitiy, much as they did when Tocqueville was studying the US in the 19th C.

wrcbook2cz2.jpg

Book Description
Surprising proof that conservatives really are more compassionate--and more generous--than liberals

We all know we should give to charity, but who really does? Approximately three-quarters of Americans give their time and money to various charities, churches, and causes; the other quarter of the population does not. Why has America split into two nations: givers and non-givers?

Arthur Brooks, a top scholar of economics and public policy, has spent years researching this trend, and even he was surprised by what he found. In Who Cares, he demonstrates conclusively that conservatives really are compassionate-far more compassionate than their liberal foes. Strong families, church attendance, earned income (as opposed to state-subsidized income), and the belief that individuals, not government, offer the best solution to social ills-all of these factors determine how likely one is to give.

Charity matters--not just to the givers and to the recipients, but to the nation as a whole. It is crucial to our prosperity, happiness, health, and our ability to govern ourselves as a free people. In Who Cares, Brooks outlines strategies for expanding the ranks of givers, for the good of all Americans.

About the Author
Arthur C. Brooks is professor of public administration at Syracuse University’s Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs. He is the author of numerous articles and books on topics relating to charity and civic life, and his work appears frequently in the Wall Street Journal and other publications.

really---I say let em just suffer until they beg for it--MUCH more compassionate don't you think ?

I disagree. They should not have to beg. I said that they shoud ask.

You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make him drink.

I have no problem with this approach:

Joe: It seems to me that you are feeling down. Are you troubled? Do you want help?
Sam: No, thank you. Please leave me alone.
Joe: Okay. Feel free to call on me if you want any help or advice.
That is as far as it should go. I often see such encounters go much further such as:

Joe: It seems to me that you are feeling down. Are you troubled? Do you want help?
Joe: No. Let me tell you what’s wrong with your life. I can set your life straight.
Sam: No. I don’t want your help right now. Please go away and leave me alone.​

Joe is becoming a nuisance in this case.

I disagree. They should not have to beg. I said that they shoud ask.

You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make him drink.

I have no problem with this approach:

Joe: Okay. Feel free to call on me if you want any help or advice.
That is as far as it should go. I often see such encounters go much further such as:

Joe: No. Let me tell you what’s wrong with your life. I can set your life straight.
Sam: No. I don’t want your help right now. Please go away and leave me alone.​

Joe is becoming a nuisance in this case.

I'll pass that along to the Christian community for ya but I still like making em wait til they beg. It worked well for the guy on the cross next to Jesus.

Seek and ye shall find. I certainly advocate helping those who ask for help. The annoying thing is when people butt in when and where they are not welcome.

I think that we agree. Do you think that happiness can be found in trying to help people who don’t want help?

Wow. I guess that I did not explain my position very well. Even I help people. I volunteered at Caritas and Habitat For Humanity. People should try to help those who ask for help. I think that I get offended when I see nosey busybodies who think that they know “the way” impose themselves on people who don’t want their help.

So you see someone driving off a cliff they dont see, you arent going to try to help them simply because they dont want it?

Happiness is always found in teaching, exhorting, and exercising virtue and serving others. And if you are truly compassionate you arent going to stop trying to help someone just because they might not recognize they need it.

Oh, and the fact that you are getting offended demonstrates alot.

Forum List

Back