What do you think about the United States Postal Service. Do you think it should be privatized?

FranklinRoosevelt_FTW

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
May 12, 2022
There was a recent podcast on the Valuetainment show and one Of the guests brought up a very interesting point …..he said hey if people want the US Postal Service to be privatized it will be disastrous for people in rural communities who would have to pay huge fees to ship out mail.

This is mostly meant for the American people who think that we should not have any government, like those who think we should not have police forces, no labor rights, no minimum wage …basically anarchists.

Government oversight is necessary in any civilized country otherwise you would have gangs running things, you would have corrupt employers paying $.50 an hour , they would be employing children and sweatshops just like we used to have before things were corrected.

And so imagine if private companies ran our mail services there will probably be a number of them or perhaps eventually a monopoly … you might even have to pay to receive mail not as we do now through taxes literally like every time you get one piece of mail you might have to pay a dollar or something.

So I support the United States Postal Service and its long traditions. It’s right in line with the traditions of America going back so many years. A mailman has always been a pretty good paying job in this country with union benefits. One of the last union jobs in this country. I think most Americans have always respected the mailman whenever they come around during Christmas time they would give them cookies or a gift of some sorts.

Last edited:
There was a recent podcast on the Valuetainment show and what are the gusts brought up a very interesting point he said hey if people want the US Postal Service to be privatized it will be disastrous for people in rural communities who would have to pay huge fees to ship out mail.

This is mostly meant for the American people who think that we should not have any government, like those who think we should not have police forces, no labor rights, no minimum wage …basically anarchists.

Government oversight is necessary in any civilized country otherwise you would have gangs running things you would have corrupt employers paying $.50 an hour , there would be employing children and sweatshops just like we used to have before things were corrected.

And so imagine if private companies ran our mail services there will probably be a number of them or perhaps eventually a monopoly … you might even have to pay to receive mail not as we do now through taxes literally like every time you get one piece of mail you might have to pay a dollar or something.

So I support the United States Postal Service and its long traditions. It’s right in line with the traditions of America going back so many years. A mailman has always been a pretty good paying job in this country with union benefits. One of the last union jobs in this country. I think most Americans have always respected the mailman whenever they come around during Christmas time they would give them cookies or a gift of some sorts.
No.

Competition should definitely be allowed, but I can't see the point in just selling the US Post Office. Mail is less important than ever before. I can't think of the last time I wrote a check to be mailed out. I get my income electronically as well.

I would definitely be in favor of reducing the number of days for mail delivery. And the decision to quit offering mail services at Staples was ill advised as well.

There was a recent podcast on the Valuetainment show and what are the gusts brought up a very interesting point he said hey if people want the US Postal Service to be privatized it will be disastrous for people in rural communities who would have to pay huge fees to ship out mail.

Government oversight is necessary in any civilized country otherwise you would have gangs running things you would have corrupt employers paying $.50 an hour , there would be employing children and sweatshops just like we used to have before things were corrected.

They need to consolidate and operate like UPS AND FEDEX small package. That rids you of a lot of dead weight management and infrastructure

get congress out of their micro managing the place and let the people they pay to run it,run it....and let them make a modest profit....let them sink or swim on their own....

Competition should definitely be allowed, but I can't see the point in just selling the US Post Office. Mail is less important than ever before. I can't think of the last time I wrote a check to be mailed out. I get my income electronically as well.

I would definitely be in favor of reducing the number of days for mail delivery. And the decision to quit offering mail services at Staples was ill advised as well.

The problem is that private investment will only want to compete for the profitable routes.

Rural customers would pay more? Really? Like they do for parcels from FedEx, UPS, and Amazon?

Though constitutionally a public agency, if by some bizarre chain of events mail service becomes private, it wouldn't even operate like FedEx, UPS, or Amazon. Private companies would contract with municipalities. Geography wouldn't determine cost differences.

So what's your point? Divest those routes where private enterprise feel they can make money on. And as people find ways to make money on other routes, add them to the private sector.

I suspect that it won't be that long before drones can move mail.

Further, the volume of mail is decreasing every year.

They need to consolidate and operate like UPS AND FEDEX small package. That rids you of a lot of dead weight management and infrastructure

That’s an interesting and good point you bring it up. By the way I have a lot of respect for UPS. They have a very strong union through the Teamsters union. I have a friend living in Colorado who works at UPS he’s making $30 an hour and that doesn’t include his overtime. And in certain days UPS worker get double time pay … so I’m all for the UPS that’s for darn sure.

From what I understand the average UPS delivery person makes more money than the USPS delivery person. UPS workers also have better benefits.

Sounds like a good idea for the United States Postal Service to look at what UPS is doing and learn from that.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back