What do you attribute the rise in violence in our society?

actsnoblemartin

I love Andrea & April
Mar 7, 2007
San Diego, CA
Has anyone heard of bystanders watching victims die, or being attacked and doing nothing, and what about the rise of gang crime in not only boys but girls as well.

your thoughts?

I attribute it to two things, mainly: the war on drugs and the war on poverty.

The war on drugs makes drug dealing extremely profitable. So it's no surprise to see turf wars break out over prime dealing locations, just like there used to be gang wars during alcohol prohibition.

Then you have the war on poverty, which spawned a whole mess of social ills. Taking care of the poor used to be a volunteer community-level thing, and people would get re-integrated back into society. Now we take people, pay them to not work, and cram them into multi-story criminal breeding facilities, err public housing I mean. They are effectively closed off from the rest of society, and kids grow up thinking that this is how normal successful people behave. Seriously, if you look at a long list of social ills and crime, they all spike upwards during the 60's right after the war on poverty is implemented.

Has anyone heard of bystanders watching victims die, or being attacked and doing nothing, and what about the rise of gang crime in not only boys but girls as well.

your thoughts?

I don't know that there has been any rise in random violence.

In the 18th century a white man could shoot an indian, or rape an indian woman at will, an never see the inside of a court room. Or reap any consequences at all.

In the 19th and 20th century, black people could be enslaved, whipped, beaten, hung from trees, and lynched at will. Sometimes with a rapt audience in attendence. And the men who perpetrated these acts knew they would never see the inside of a courtroom.

Different century, different violence.

your thoughts?

I think anyone who stands around and watches someone get attacked should be charged with aiding and a bedding a crime. It is our duty as a human being to help someone who is in danger, IMO.

I think anyone who stands around and watches someone get attacked should be charged with aiding and a bedding a crime. It is our duty as a human being to help someone who is in danger, IMO.

Thats why I carry a gun so that i can defend myself and others in need of help.

A gun isn't the answer. I've never carried a weapon and I can handle situations just fine and you've seen me do it. I backed Rookie down really quick and he was three times my size.

Dude, I don't care how badass you think you are. I'm a pretty big, nasty individual myself, but I don't deflect bullets.

I attribute it to two things, mainly: the war on drugs and the war on poverty.

The war on drugs makes drug dealing extremely profitable. So it's no surprise to see turf wars break out over prime dealing locations, just like there used to be gang wars during alcohol prohibition.

Then you have the war on poverty, which spawned a whole mess of social ills. Taking care of the poor used to be a volunteer community-level thing, and people would get re-integrated back into society. Now we take people, pay them to not work, and cram them into multi-story criminal breeding facilities, err public housing I mean. They are effectively closed off from the rest of society, and kids grow up thinking that this is how normal successful people behave. Seriously, if you look at a long list of social ills and crime, they all spike upwards during the 60's right after the war on poverty is implemented.

ITA with you on all points.

Forum List

Back