What Do Other Communities of Color Say About White Racism?

IM2

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 11, 2015
Seems that a number of whites here seem to believe that every other community of color are just happy with how things are and blacks are the only ones complaining. Lol!

Hispanics progress against racism but have long way to go

The Spanish arrived from Europe in what would eventually become the United States nearly 500 years ago and began to mix with the indigenous people they met and conquered. Native Americans, Mexicans, Central Americans, South Americans, Caribbean islands, and other nations eventually meshed their native languages and cultures to become the population we now term “Hispanic” or “Latino.”

(NOTICE THE DIFFERENCE, NO SLAVERY)

Despite their large numbers, myriad contributions celebrated during this Hispanic Heritage Month, the fact that their ancestors built civilizations eons before the Europeans arrived, and their European DNA, Hispanics today face widespread racism and bigotry.

Racism against Hispanics is a complicated issue, noted now retired Distinguished Professor A. Gabriel Meléndez, former director of the Center for Regional Studies at The University of New Mexico.

First, one difference in terms of the experience of other groups in the U.S. is that Mexican-Americans were incorporated in the country as citizens en masse at the end of the U.S. Mexico War in 1848 and as a result of an international treaty. So technically, the group should have had all the rights of the American citizen, he said, adding that the other comparable group is Puerto Ricans, who have been citizens since 1898.

A. Gabriel Meléndez

A. Gabriel Meléndez
Meléndez observed that despite what has been called “ascriptive citizenship” (ascribed but not always acknowledged) large sectors of the Hispanic community have continued to lag socially and economically due to structural inequities that go back for decades.

“Up until the Chicano Civil Rights Movement of the 1960s and 1970s, Mexican Americans or Chicanos found themselves with limited opportunities to enter the professions, to access educational opportunities ̶ especially university degrees ̶ to move beyond established housing patterns or see their fair share of tax funding returned public schools or to improvement projects in towns and neighborhoods that were historically Mexican American," Meléndez said. "While individually it is not easy to draw a direct causal line between racism and ethnicity, discrimination is easy to see as an expression of the institutional insensitivity that has denied opportunity to Mexican Americans. It should be noted that we are talking about a very heterogeneous group, one that emerges out of the historical process known as mestizaje, that is the mixing of ethnicities, cultures, and classes over time that happened here in the border states but also Mexico and other countries in Latin American.

"The very idea of racial hybridity produced misunderstanding in earlier times and was borne of an irrational fear of miscegenation an idea built on faulty racist logic. I think that structural inequity is observable in a number of well-documented discriminatory practices. Economic segregation and educational disadvantages have all combined in a way that suggests that segments of the Chicanx or Latinx community have occupied a second-class standing the American life. This makes for a disproportion representation in negative categories of social life, such as shorter life spans, higher indices of health-related pathologies, higher numbers of incarcerations, lower educational attainment, and the like.”

“Colonization comes through with a sense of power to overtake another community. There is the idea that you have to overpower rather than coexist,” she observed. “In order to take over people you have to minimize who they are, and you do that by criminalizing and dehumanizing them. To justify expansion, you put down the people whose land you took over.”

Some racism is direct and hostile. Cervantes knows of UNM students who have been called names such as “wetback,” a derogatory term for Mexicans that refers to crossing the border into the U.S. by wading or swimming across the Rio Grande. However, students often don’t want to report such incidents.

Students will talk to each other about incidents like this, Cervantes remarked, “But they don’t necessarily want us to step in with a formal complaint.”

Racism isn’t always in hostile, face-to-face encounters, but rather subtle, what Cervantes termed “little things, micro-aggressions.”

“They will try to change your name,” she noted, by anglicizing Spanish names. “People try to call me Rose instead of Rosa.” Or some Hispanics are made to feel ashamed of their Spanish names and they try to change them to an English translation or equivalent.

And then you have black hispanics...

Demopublicans.jpg

Seems that a number of whites here seem to believe that every other community of color are just happy with how things are and blacks are the only ones complaining.

Really. Hm. Which white folks do you have a problem with, specifically?

We'll need for you to support your claim.

Thanks!

That is what this thread is about. Right? Your problem with white folks?

Is this Zone 1? Maybe it should be renamed IM2 Whining Zone.

PS Yeah, these people keep coming here. Latinos have supplanted blacks as the #2 group and in a few decades, Asians will become #3 as blacks keep getting the raw deal from Democrats with their open borders policy.

You did it again. Same personal whack you took in the LAST thread I babysat. Not smart. excalibur

Last edited by a moderator:
Not only that, but I have it in good authority that many blacks people don’t March in lockstep with the likes of certain black racists. That is, lots and lots of black people enjoy their freedom to think for themselves and speak for themselves.

It turns out that contrary to the plantation mentality assumptions of black racists and the entire DNC establishment, there is no monolithic black “group think.”

And also? The same holds true for each and every racial group. Pretty good news, isn’t it?

1654054009129.gif

I don't have to talk, they speak for themselves in these articles.

What can I say to persuade this or that group of white people–white parents, white people with Asian relatives or friends or co-workers, white people who aren’t “comfortable” talking about race or privilege–to start having these “important conversations” if they aren’t already? Is it my responsibility to do so? Maybe, if I can, but the truth is that I am tired of being asked to think about racism from the perspective of those least impacted by it. I don’t always feel like explaining anti-Asian prejudice to people who have never considered it before. I don’t want to hear or validate confessions that someone hasn’t thought enough, done enough, said enough, worked enough, read enough, challenged enough microaggressions at work or at school. I don’t need an inbox full of emotional labor from white people just discovering the fact that Asians in America experience racism, and that I am Asian American.

Perhaps it shouldn’t have taken me so long to realize that it isn’t always my responsibility to engage with white people on this issue–whether that means cataloging the most recent horrific attacks in case someone is still unaware, providing examples of racism I’ve personally experienced in diverse and insular spaces alike, recommending articles and books for them to read, offering impromptu lessons on the Asian American history many of us weren’t taught in school...

Now you've done it Mike.

He's made a whole new thread based on this comment.

I thought they were trying to clean this race section up, but it seems like all it accomplished was to give the worst offender a broader playing field with extra protection.

Not here to discuss how difficult civil discussion is or who's getting away with what. All the mod actions in this thread indicate what's not allowed. IF THE TOPICS seem to be racist to you -- FLEE. Dont participate. No audience, no content in Race. You discuss topics or you dont. Race Relations are as difficult to discuss as Middle East peace -- MAYBE MORE SO -- because it's an American issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought they were trying to clean this race section up, but it seems like all it accomplished was to give the worst offender a broader playing field with extra protection.
Yep.

It all boils down to a circular argument. Anybody who resists the race hatred against them in any way is considered a racist, which then validates being called one over and over again.

Wrong. Why do whites like you have a problem accepting the reality that people of color could actually be unpleased with how things have gone and can provide specific evidence to back their words? You also don't appear t have a problem with the many threads filled with actual racism against blacks.

Wrong. Why do whites like you have a problem accepting the reality that people of color could actually be unpleased with how things have gone and can provide specific evidence to back their words? You also don't appear t have a problem with the many threads filled with actual racism against blacks.

Well. The Bull Ring is that way --------->

Just whistle.

I'd love nothing more than to take you to school in front of all of your friends and out of the confines of your safe space.

I'll take you to places you're historically afraid to go, and very likely don't even comprehend, if you have the courage to face the truth with regard to why things are the way they are. Oh yes indeed. Plus I can tell you what I really think about you down there, without a nanny coming to your rescue.

See, the problem with you is that you're not interested in solving the root issue. Heck, you don't even grasp the root issue of inequality in society. You just want a piece of the same pie. Which makes you no different. It renders you just another part of the problem.

But if you want an audience, I'll give you one. And if you're interested in me and what I think, you can show us all your wisdom in all of its glory. But be forewarned. I can be kind of a dick about it. This is, of course, a choice. Do or do not...

Last edited:
Do it tomorrow, though. It's late and I need my beauty sleep. I'm already up too late as it is, dicking around with you.

Economic segregation and educational disadvantages have all combined in a way that suggests that segments of the Chicanx or Latinx community have occupied a second-class standing the American life. This makes for a disproportion representation in negative categories of social life, such as shorter life spans, higher indices of health-related pathologies, higher numbers of incarcerations, lower educational attainment, and the like.”

ALL new immigrant communities have to struggle to make ends meet, deal with language barriers, the working poor phase and the lower education and crime that follows all that. The 2nd and 3rd generations are professional teachers, lawyers, politicians, and fairly well-off. The Hispanic community in Cali was noted for FIXING UP neighborhoods, encouraging their kids in academics and as a result -- the 3rd to 7th generation Hispanics are fully melted in and dealt into the American dream.

IM2 You cant possibly think that we're on track to allow OVER 2 Million largely Central American Hispanics crashing our Southern border because they HATE the bias and the hand dealt to them by WHITE Americans. Do YA? WHY are they FLOODING HERE?????????

I don't have to talk, they speak for themselves in these articles.

What can I say to persuade this or that group of white people–white parents, white people with Asian relatives or friends or co-workers, white people who aren’t “comfortable” talking about race or privilege–to start having these “important conversations” if they aren’t already? Is it my responsibility to do so? Maybe, if I can, but the truth is that I am tired of being asked to think about racism from the perspective of those least impacted by it. I don’t always feel like explaining anti-Asian prejudice to people who have never considered it before. I don’t want to hear or validate confessions that someone hasn’t thought enough, done enough, said enough, worked enough, read enough, challenged enough microaggressions at work or at school. I don’t need an inbox full of emotional labor from white people just discovering the fact that Asians in America experience racism, and that I am Asian American.

Perhaps it shouldn’t have taken me so long to realize that it isn’t always my responsibility to engage with white people on this issue–whether that means cataloging the most recent horrific attacks in case someone is still unaware, providing examples of racism I’ve personally experienced in diverse and insular spaces alike, recommending articles and books for them to read, offering impromptu lessons on the Asian American history many of us weren’t taught in school...

About your LINK to this Asian woman's statements. She STARTS the article citing 3 violent attacks on Asians in SanFran, Baltimore and somewhere else where the 3rd link is busted. In the first two attacks she CITES -- the attackers SEEM TO BE black men. I think MAYBE its a possibility that her talks with White people are because she can get further with them than talking to Blacks.

Yep.

It all boils down to a circular argument. Anybody who resists the race hatred against them in any way is considered a racist, which then validates being called one over and over again.

It's a problem of GENERALIZATION and STEREOTYPING. Same tool belt the ACTUAL white racist carries. It's an original sin of skin color and no messiah is coming to save you. Comes of course out of Progressive politics where group identity, intersectionality, and invented 200 genders forced on people to recognize them or be cited - is the divisive mindset they THINK gets them elected. INDIVIDUALS no longer exist to them. Respect the WHOLE group or you're not an "ally".

When it comes to the Team WhitePeople -- you just toss them all together and BLAME them collectively also.

Last edited:

Not here to discuss how difficult civil discussion is or who's getting away with what. All the mod actions in this thread indicate what's not allowed. IF THE TOPICS seem to be racist to you -- FLEE. Dont participate. No audience, no content in Race. You discuss topics or you dont. Race Relations are as difficult to discuss as Middle East peace -- MAYBE MORE SO -- because it's an American issue.

Well, as a courtesy, I offered him the opportunity to show us all his wisdom down in the hole and out of his safe space, after he specifically made it about me personally.

I thought that was appropriate, and, frankly, conforming to whatever the policy of the day happens to be.

If he's brave enough, I'll show you how easy "Race Relations'' actually are to discuss.

It's not so hard. Liberty is a rather simple concept.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back