What distinguished the Great Depression

SuMar

VIP Member
Mar 16, 2010
Was FDR's inability to end record unemployment through record spending for years on end.

How is this any different from now?

I think it's different because the "messiah" is here to fundamentally transform this nation. We need to Progress past that pesky constitution.

Was FDR's inability to end record unemployment through record spending for years on end.

It's not any different, that's the point. Obama is following FDR's roadmap to the letter. Many economists will state that FDR's effort only lenghtened the great depression--while other countries came out of it much sooner than the United States.

But what is hillarious with this administration. FDR spent a ton of money on roads & bridges that took thousands of men with shovels to complete. This of course back in the 1930's when we actually needed roads & bridges.

Obama is doing the exact same thing--but obviously never took into consideration that--today a couple of heavy equipment operators can do the same day's work as thousands of men with shovels---:lol::lol::lol:. Plus we really don't need more bridges & roads--this nation gets along fine with the ones we have.

This is Obama's flood the basement economics--& his policies have been an utter failure in job creation. The only thing that has been expanding in leaps & bounds is the size of the Federal Government, while the private sector is still shrinking & shedding jobs.

When will Americans ever learn.

That massive government spending does not create long term private sector job growth?

No one can borrow & spend their way to prosperity.

$9-trillion-deficit.jpg

Now up to 12.4 trillion

Last edited:

It's not any different, that's the point. Obama is following FDR's roadmap to the letter. Many economists will state that FDR's effort only lenghtened the great depression--while other countries came out of it much sooner than the United States.

But what is hillarious with this administration. FDR spent a ton of money on roads & bridges that took thousands of men with shovels to complete. This of course back in the 1930's when we actually needed roads & bridges.

Obama is doing the exact same thing--but obviously never took into consideration that--today a couple of heavy equipment operators can do the same day's work as thousands of men with shovels---:lol::lol::lol:. Plus we really don't need more bridges & roads--this nation gets along fine with the ones we have.

This is Obama's flood the basement economics--& his policies have been an utter failure in job creation. The only thing that has been expanding in leaps & bounds is the size of the Federal Government, while the private sector is still shrinking & shedding jobs.

That massive government spending does not create long term private sector job growth?

View attachment 9744

Now up to 12.4 trillion

Now I live in a state that hasn't received the stimulus Barry promised to repair our roads and interstates and bridges.

View attachment 9744

Now up to 12.4 trillion

Now I live in a state that hasn't received the stimulus Barry promised to repair our roads and interstates and bridges.

Sorry about your roads & bridges--we got a 500,000 dollar bike path--that no one really uses. It actually employed 3 guys for a week---:lol::lol:

BTW--thanks for your payment of federal tax dollars for our new bike path.

Last edited:
Plenty of Cons who were very critical of the stimulus have accepted the handouts. Some passed out the money with their own names on the checks. Jindal comes to mind.

I think it's different because the "messiah" is here to fundamentally transform this nation. We need to Progress past that pesky constitution.

FDR did exactly that. Perhaps you forgot how he stacked the supreme court by expanding the number of sitting members, just to get them to change their stance on the constitutionality of certain measures he wanted.

I cannot dispute that Obama looks to be set to further erode our freedoms.

Wow.. You people need a history lesson.. WWII got us out of the great depression and FDR did help..

If you all care to actually look up facts.. The unemployment rate shrank every year he was in office.. To an all time low of 1.9% in 1945 at the peak of WWII.. His first year in office saw the unemployment rate drop by over 3%..

While I am not going to say that all of FDR's policies were good.. I am not going to attempt to rewrite history and say he is the reason the depression was longer than it was..

The bottom line is this.. FDR and WWII ended the great depression and those are the facts..

FDR did exactly that. Perhaps you forgot how he stacked the supreme court by expanding the number of sitting members, just to get them to change their stance on the constitutionality of certain measures he wanted.

I cannot dispute that Obama looks to be set to further erode our freedoms.

You don't have any freedoms. You're all slaves to the military industrial empire.Your grandchildren will be too.
STFU and pay your taxes.

I find lots of comparisons to the Great Depression these days, and what the middle class did, or what they were given to work with

Yet i find few mentions of the guilded age that precipitated the depression then, as it has now

i guess as long as we figure greed isn't one of the seven deadles, we're goig to go the same route as gramps and granny did here

~S~

View attachment 9744

Now up to 12.4 trillion

Sorry about your roads & bridges--we got a 500,000 dollar bike path--that no one really uses. It actually employed 3 guys for a week---:lol::lol:

BTW--thanks for your payment of federal tax dollars for our new bike path.

We got a new fountain, had to take out the old fountain to make room for the new fountain. People in the town were pis*ed, but done it was. Took less than a month, cost over $500k.

What distinguished the great Depression was Herbert Hoovers refusal to do anything as a major recession turned into a depression. His hands off, let the economy fix itself threw most of the nation into poverty

Last edited:
Wow.. You people need a history lesson.. WWII got us out of the great depression and FDR did help..

If you all care to actually look up facts.. The unemployment rate shrank every year he was in office.. To an all time low of 1.9% in 1945 at the peak of WWII.. His first year in office saw the unemployment rate drop by over 3%..

While I am not going to say that all of FDR's policies were good.. I am not going to attempt to rewrite history and say he is the reason the depression was longer than it was..

The bottom line is this.. FDR and WWII ended the great depression and those are the facts..

Unemployment AVERAGED 17% during the Great Depression and it didn't go down every year

FDR took Hoover's stupid ideas and double down on them creating a plague worse than the 7 Biblical Lean Years.

Also, the relatively new Federal Reserve decided to drain much needed liquidity out of a system dying of financial thirst. They should have been shot and the Fed burned to the ground and not necessarily in that order.

What distinguished the great Depression was Herbert Hoovers refusal to do anything as a major recession turned into a depression. His hands off, let the economy fix itself threw most of the nation into poverty

What bullshit! You have the wrong one!! That was 1920-21 and it ended BECAUSE we cut taxes and spending

"The economic situation in 1920 was grim. By that year unemployment had jumped from 4 percent to nearly 12 percent, and GNP declined 17 percent. No wonder, then, that Secretary of Commerce Herbert Hoover—falsely characterized as a supporter of laissez-faire economics—urged President Harding to consider an array of interventions to turn the economy around. Hoover was ignored.

Instead of “fiscal stimulus,” Harding cut the government’s budget nearly in half between 1920 and 1922. The rest of Harding’s approach was equally laissez-faire. Tax rates were slashed for all income groups. The national debt was reduced by one-third. The Federal Reserve’s activity, moreover, was hardly noticeable. As one economic historian puts it, “Despite the severity of the contraction, the Fed did not move to use its powers to turn the money supply around and fight the contraction.” 2 By the late summer of 1921, signs of recovery were already visible. The following year, unemployment was back down to 6.7 percent and was only 2.4 percent by 1923."

http://www.firstprinciplesjournal.com/articles.aspx?article=1322&theme=home&loc=b

Last edited:

New Topics

Forum List

Back