What dialect do the Great Plains speak?

rupol2000

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2021
As far as I understand this is a "general" dialect, the main and official dialect
USA. If so, how could this be possible? After all, the officials believe that the Great Plains are inhabited from the East, and the East has its own dialects, such as the Great Lakes dialect, New English, and so on.

It is an amalgamated dialect drawing its sources from 2nd+ American generations moving West. The other dialects you mentioned derived from first generation immigrants and their progeny who tended to stay put in closer and more homogeneous communities. As a result, they retained their original mispronunciations of Modern English.

• Banned
Curious, this thread.

Can you go more in-depth about "Great Plains"?
I don't know much about them myself. I assume that this is part of the steppe horse breeding culture, which originated from the Great Steppe of Eurasia. There are especially many coincidences with the Hungarians. This is a blank spot in history.

I think this is the real core of American culture. America is nothing like Europe, especially Britain.

The fact that the language of the Great Plains is common American confirms my version.

Have these languages strongly influenced the general American?
No.

We have very few dialects in the US. Louisiana has parts that speak in a dialect of Cajun. Blacks who never learned English might speak Eubonics. What you are thinking of are not dialects, but mere accents.

As far as I understand this is a "general" dialect, the main and official dialect
USA. If so, how could this be possible? After all, the officials believe that the Great Plains are inhabited from the East, and the East has its own dialects, such as the Great Lakes dialect, New English, and so on.
Mostly the mid western accent. If you notice most news reporters, commercials have strictly midwest accents

Nobody wants to hear a Boston accent. It is so vulgar sounding. New Yorks are worse. New England a nasal twang. Hillbilly speak no way. Texas slow hand draw...nope

I'm so thankful to have a midwest accent because it is pleasant sounding and understandable.All you other people talk funny

Has an interesting map on US American dialects
My step father spent many years working in the TV world as an accountant in Wichita KS where they would send national news personalities to learn a neutral dialect.
Actually, the US is very unusual in how slight our dialects are in general. Yes, you can always find people who speak with such an accent that it is difficult to understand them but they are rarely in a public speaking role. Example was once my wife and I were in small towns in MS and although I thought I knew Southern, I was always asking for translation.

I don't know much about them myself. I assume that this is part of the steppe horse breeding culture, which originated from the Great Steppe of Eurasia. There are especially many coincidences with the Hungarians. This is a blank spot in history.

I think this is the real core of American culture. America is nothing like Europe, especially Britain.

The fact that the language of the Great Plains is common American confirms my version.

Curious, is this language endemic to Native Americans? If so, which tribe?

Curious, is this language endemic to Native Americans? If so, which tribe?
I believe that American "Indians" are a myth. Americans are the natives of America. They have non-European genetics and non-European appearance, with the exception of the East. What was the language is not yet clear. But it is clear that America is a copy of Austria-Hungary.

Forum List

Back