What are they trying to hide?

Bullypulpit

Jan 7, 2004
Columbus, OH
<blockquote><a href=http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/03/world/middleeast/03reconstruct.html?_r=1&ei=5094&en=590b5ef31979d828&hp=&ex=1162616400&adxnnl=1&oref=slogin&partner=homepage&adxnnlx=1162816892-mwvy+tHwkZLzAr+DIa6XfQ&pagewanted=print>Congress Tells Auditor in Iraq to Close Office</a>

Investigations led by a Republican lawyer named Stuart W. Bowen Jr. in Iraq have sent American occupation officials to jail on bribery and conspiracy charges, exposed disastrously poor construction work by well-connected companies like Halliburton and Parsons, and discovered that the military did not properly track hundreds of thousands of weapons it shipped to Iraqi security forces.</blockquote>

Surpriiiise! If he'd only ignored all these unpleasant facts about fraud and corruption on the part of contributors...er...contractors in Iraq, he could have had a comfy sinecure. But no...He just had to do his job and conduct investigations into the fraud, corruption and war profiteering against the troops and US taxpayers by the likes of Halliburton, KBR, and others. It fits a long pattern of punishing competence and rewarding incompetence by Chimpy and Co.

I have read a few articles about this and what is disturbing is how the provision was slipped into a bill with almost no one knowing about it. There are some who suggest that this is just a routine transfer of authority from a temporary agency to the permanent agencies that routinely have oversight. In this analysis, the shut down is just a normal part of wrapping up a war.

I have two problems with that explanation.

1. It is incredible that the folks who have authority to audit procedures have a plan for the end of the war when there is no plan for the end of the war itself.

2. Anytime something gets slipped into a bill in secret it is reasonable to conclude that the item in question would NOT have found favor if it were fully disclosed in the normal course of business. SOMEBODY wanted to put this group out of business and knew it had to be done surreptitiously. That makes me think it is NOT being done because it is in the best interests of the American public. :dev2:

I have read a few articles about this and what is disturbing is how the provision was slipped into a bill with almost no one knowing about it. There are some who suggest that this is just a routine transfer of authority from a temporary agency to the permanent agencies that routinely have oversight. In this analysis, the shut down is just a normal part of wrapping up a war.

1. It is incredible that the folks who have authority to audit procedures have a plan for the end of the war when there is no plan for the end of the war itself.

2. Anytime something gets slipped into a bill in secret it is reasonable to conclude that the item in question would NOT have found favor if it were fully disclosed in the normal course of business. SOMEBODY wanted to put this group out of business and knew it had to be done surreptitiously. That makes me think it is NOT being done because it is in the best interests of the American public. :dev2:

Help me out here---a bill slips through congress to close down an office that has already been investigated resulting in convictions ?

It is closely related to the real reason the GOP and the White House are fighting so hard to maintain their "permanent majority", despite it being antithetical to the democratic process. They don't want the Democrats to have subpoena power. Real oversight will drag alot of skeletons out of the closet Chimpy and Co would rather remain hidden.

There's much more work to do yet.

You wont be happy until there is only ONE party, will you. Hmmm...there is a name for that, I think.

I suppose it will be best for everyone that way. We will be friends with everyone on the planet, we can disband the military, and no one will be rich....we will all be equally miserable.... in fact, if we do it right and hand over our sovereignty to the UN and the Europeans, we wont even need a government....O happy day!

You know, I cant help but point out if this is public knowledge that arguing that anyone is trying to hide anything is absurd.

<blockquote><a href=http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/03/world/middleeast/03reconstruct.html?_r=1&ei=5094&en=590b5ef31979d828&hp=&ex=1162616400&adxnnl=1&oref=slogin&partner=homepage&adxnnlx=1162816892-mwvy+tHwkZLzAr+DIa6XfQ&pagewanted=print>Congress Tells Auditor in Iraq to Close Office</a>

Investigations led by a Republican lawyer named Stuart W. Bowen Jr. in Iraq have sent American occupation officials to jail on bribery and conspiracy charges, exposed disastrously poor construction work by well-connected companies like Halliburton and Parsons, and discovered that the military did not properly track hundreds of thousands of weapons it shipped to Iraqi security forces.</blockquote>

Surpriiiise! If he'd only ignored all these unpleasant facts about fraud and corruption on the part of contributors...er...contractors in Iraq, he could have had a comfy sinecure. But no...He just had to do his job and conduct investigations into the fraud, corruption and war profiteering against the troops and US taxpayers by the likes of Halliburton, KBR, and others. It fits a long pattern of punishing competence and rewarding incompetence by Chimpy and Co.

Just goes to show Big Government can and will fuck up just about anything it gets its hands on. Why you think this only pertains to Bush or the Republicans is beyond me. What I can't understand is why yahoos like you want them to control more aspects of life like health care and welfare.

You wont be happy until there is only ONE party, will you. Hmmm...there is a name for that, I think.

I suppose it will be best for everyone that way. We will be friends with everyone on the planet, we can disband the military, and no one will be rich....we will all be equally miserable.... in fact, if we do it right and hand over our sovereignty to the UN and the Europeans, we wont even need a government....O happy day!

Actually, no. I would be happier with more than two political parties. The current two party system is showing its weakness, and viable third or even fourth parties are needed to keep it from going more rancid.

While anarchy has its attractions, it boils down to little more than social darwinism. Communism has been shown to be an utter and abject failure. A democratically elected government is the best option we have. But our elected officeals must be reminded, constantly, that their first duty lies to those who vote for them, not those who fund their political campaigns. All the more reason for publicly financed political campaigns.

And not even you know that I am not so pollyanish as you would suggest. There will always be those who stand opposed to the ideals this nation stands for, there will always be rich and poor and there will always be some level of misery experienced by us all as well as joy.

Actually, no. I would be happier with more than two political parties. THe current two party system is showing its weakness, and viable third or even fourth parties are needed to keep it from going more rancid.

While anarchy has its attractions, it boils down to little more than social darwinism. Communism has been shown to be an utter and abject failure. A democratically elected government is the best option we have. But our elected officeals must be reminded, constantly, that their first duty lies to those who vote for them, not thise who fund their political campaigns. All the more reason for publicly financed political campaigns.

And not even you know that I am not so pollyanish as you would suggest. There will always be those who stand opposed to the ideals this nation stands for, there will always be rich and poor and there will always be some level of misery experienced by us all as well as joy.

Dangnabbit, just when I get ready to dismiss you out of hand and put your posts in the same looney bin as Psycho, you go and post something like this. You need to quit that!

Dangnabbit, just when I get ready to dismiss you out of hand and put your posts in the same looney bin as Psycho, you go and post something like this. You need to quit that!

I'm terribly sorry. I'll try to not do it again. But sometimes, I just can't restrain myself. :D