What are some of your favorite songs by Santana?

My favorites are - 1) Black Magic Woman 2) Soul Sacrifice 3) Everybody's Everything 4) Jingo, and 5) Oye Como Va

I guess you never get past the commercial stuff on the FM radio to hear his really good work.

I am VERY aware of Mr. McLaughlin's work. He's an incredible guitarist. I just wasn't that thrilled with his collaboration with Santana. A bit dry, technical, and unexciting to me. It's very competent work, just NOT that thrilling, at least to MY ears. I DO like John's work with his "orchestra".

My favorites are - 1) Black Magic Woman 2) Soul Sacrifice 3) Everybody's Everything 4) Jingo, and 5) Oye Como Va

I guess you never get past the commercial stuff on the FM radio to hear his really good work.

I am VERY aware of Mr. McLaughlin's work. He's an incredible guitarist. I just wasn't that thrilled with his collaboration with Santana. A bit dry, technical, and unexciting to me. It's very competent work, just NOT that thrilling, at least to MY ears. I DO like John's work with his "orchestra".

Well, it was a transition album, a one off after the falling apart with the original Mahavishnu due to conflicts in composer credit. Love, Devotion, Surrender is more of an inspirational, intellectual work during that time Carlos was involved in guru Sri Chinmoy, not his usual Latin-inspired rock, and I like it for it having what I feel is his more technical, challenging guitar work, but yes, again, without the broad commercial appeal as it was really written for a limited audience.

I thought BMW was written by Tommy Fleetwood
It was written by Peter Green, and first recorded by Fleetwood Mac VERY early in the band's history. The original version IS good and bluesy, but Carlos and his band easily topped it with their wonderful version, IMO. Plus their version has some AMAZING guitar playing by Carlos. Just fantastic.

I love Mr. Santana and his band. I started working with them 30 years ago. Wow I can't believe it was that long ago.

He is one of the most under rated guitar players of all time. Along with Lindsey Buckingham and Jimmy Page.

Mr. Santana taught me something very valuable in the late 90s.

I used to talk people out of buying my work. I didn't think it was good enough.

Then there was Carlos Santana. One of the times I worked with him he had a very colorful stage and clothes. Some of the shots are beautiful. Mr. Santana wanted a copy of one of them that I absolutely can't stand. I tried to talk him into a shot I liked but I couldn't. He finally said to me " What do you care? You don't have to look at it."

The lightbulb went off. I finally learned. It doesn't matter what I think. I don't have to look at it. If my photo brightens someone's day and helps them to smile, I've done my job.

He had me enlarge it to huge poster size.

I love all the songs everyone listed. I'm going to include what used to be contemporary and from the album that finally gave him the Grammys he deserved so long ago. I was one of the first people to photograph that tour. That was a kick ass show.

Cause you're sooo smooooth

Last edited:

I love Mr. Santana and his band. I started working with them 30 years ago. Wow I can't believe it was that long ago.

He is one of the most under rated guitar players of all time. Along with Lindsey Buckingham and Jimmy Page.

Then there was Carlos Santana. One of the times I worked with him he had a very colorful stage and clothes. Some of the shots are beautiful. Mr. Santana wanted a copy of one of them that I absolutely can't stand. I tried to talk him into a shot I liked but I couldn't. He finally said to me " What do you care? You don't have to look at it."

The lightbulb went off. I finally learned. It doesn't matter what I think. I don't have to look at it. If my photo brightens someone's day and helps them to smile, I've done my job.

I love all the songs everyone listed. I'm going to include what used to be contemporary and from the album that finally gave him the Grammys he deserved so long ago. I was one of the first people to photograph that tour. That was a kick ass show.

Thank you for ANOTHER fine post, Dana. You have some MIGHTY fine taste in music.

Thank you for ANOTHER fine post, Dana. You have some MIGHTY fine taste in music.

Thank you.

Thank you.

You're quite welcome.

Me, too. I was going to post Smooth, but since you did already...

Forum List

Back