What are some of your favorite "scary" movies?

bluzman61

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2019
Valparaiso, Indiana USA
Mine include 1) Rosemary's Baby, with Mia Farrow. 2) The Shining, with Jack Nicholson. 3) Alien, with Siguorney Weaver. 4) The Sixth Sense, with Bruce Willis. And 5) The original Psycho (1960) with Anthony Perkins.

Exorcist is scary and i do not even believe in Jesus or the Christian idea of Satan. Silence of the Lambs is scary because there really are insane people like Hannibal. Starry Eyes is scary story of a girl who sells her soul and becomes a monster to make it in Hollywood. Maybe i can think of more later

Amityville Horror.

It is based on a true story.

The people who lived there just up and left their house for a complete loss.

If that tells you anything.

Silence of the Lambs.........I have read the book AND seen the movie so many times I knew when it was on tv when I heard it from the other end of the house.

Ted Levine's voice is unmistakable, even after that movie and he tried to improve or change his voice for other movies, it still had the same tones.

Both Levine's and Hopkins voices in that movie could send shivers down the spine.

Seven was more weird than scary, just because it went over the top IMO

1.) Double, Double, Toil, And Trouble-starring Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen and the late great Cloris Leachman
2.) Ernest Scared Stupid-starring the late great Jim Varney
3.) Come Back To Me-starring Matt Passmore

God bless you and Matt and the girls always!!!

Holly (a day one fan of the girls)

The term "scary" has evolved. It used to describe suspense with the potential for harm but Hollywood's special effects pushed the envelope to realistic depictions of amputations and worse. I like the vintage Legosi stuff where zombies knew their place and didn't eat brains.

The Witch (2015)
Conjuring 1 and 2
Crimson Peak
A Dark Song - didn't get the attention it deserved.
The Shining
The Exorcist

(not necessarily in any order)

1. The Changeling (George C. Scott)
2. Stir of Echoes (Kevin Bacon)
3. The Shining
4. The Mothman Prophecies
5. The Ring
6. Wendigo
7. The Serpent and the Rainbow
8. Frogs (1972)
9. Dyatlov Pass
10. Solaris (Russian version)
11. Dead Birds
12. The Devil's Backbone (Spanish)
13. Fire in the Sky (sci-fi/UFO, but still scary)

Too many to list or even remember!

Forum List

Back