What are some of your favorite places to visit, in the US or abroad?

Abroad?

I love Italy, but Rome is the single most crowded place I've ever been. It's fucking ridiculous. That said, I wouldn't hesitate to go back. I've been as far north as Florence, but there's a lot more to see even further north. I've been as far south as Naples and Pompeii.

View attachment 374857

View attachment 374858

Ireland is great, especially the Temple Bar section of Dublin. The live music there is incredible. There's so much to see and do in Ireland, whether you stay near Dublin or head up to Northern Ireland.

View attachment 374859

View attachment 374860

Edinburgh, Scotland is, likewise, a great place for traditional music. You haven't heard truly joyous traditional music until you've heard it played by 20-somethings, who've likely never even seen a guitar amplifier, playing music on an acoustic guitar and a fiddle. Edinburgh, and Scotland overall, is a photographer's dream.

View attachment 374864

View attachment 374865

Here in the United States?

First and foremost is New York City. I think it's the greatest city in the world, and I simply can't get there enough. If I could afford to live anywhere, and money was not a concern, drop my smilin' ass in the middle of Manhattan and leave me be.

View attachment 374868

View attachment 374869

Second would probably be Washington, DC. I think it's a place every American should visit at least once. I once walked from my hotel (The W Hotel by the White House) to the Vietnam and Lincoln Memorials, around to the Jefferson Memorial, around the Tidal Basin and back to the National mall, to the Capitol and then on to the Supreme Court, then back to my hotel. If I recall, the hike was about seven miles, and I was carrying a lot of photo gear.

View attachment 374875

View attachment 374876

I love visiting San Francisco. The best Chinese food I've ever had was in Chinatown there; House of Nanking.

View attachment 374877

View attachment 374878

As much as I love to travel, be it in the United States or abroad, there are still a ton of places I haven't visited yet.

But I will...

Thanks for your tribute to NYC, which I somehow omitted from my list. I grew up a bus ride away and my Mom and I used to go there all the time. She loved the art shows in Washington Square and Radio City, not to mention the department stores. NYC is fabulous! I don't like skyscrapers, though. I prefer places like Greenwich Village, with its little nooks and crannies. That's one reason why I love DC.

Grand Canyon. Sequoia National Forest high Sierras. Lived in Alaska twice plus took husband twice.

over seas. Greece, Turkey Isreal, Egypt. The pyramids are stunning. I liked the people too. Don’t know if it’s safe now.

Been to the Holy Land, Jordan, family has spent time in Egypt......but agree with you about a concern for safety today.

Dont do a bunch of traveling in the US.
Mainly because I like the outdoors and my kind of outdoors means a capable 4x4.
I loved my trip across the American SouthWest from Vegas to Southern California in my FJ but I had unlimited time. You just cant drive anywhere in the US if you only have a week off.

The Wife and I both love the Bahamas and Jamaica.

Abroad?

I love Italy, but Rome is the single most crowded place I've ever been. It's fucking ridiculous. That said, I wouldn't hesitate to go back. I've been as far north as Florence, but there's a lot more to see even further north. I've been as far south as Naples and Pompeii.

View attachment 374857

View attachment 374858

Ireland is great, especially the Temple Bar section of Dublin. The live music there is incredible. There's so much to see and do in Ireland, whether you stay near Dublin or head up to Northern Ireland.

View attachment 374859

View attachment 374860

Edinburgh, Scotland is, likewise, a great place for traditional music. You haven't heard truly joyous traditional music until you've heard it played by 20-somethings, who've likely never even seen a guitar amplifier, playing music on an acoustic guitar and a fiddle. Edinburgh, and Scotland overall, is a photographer's dream.

View attachment 374864

View attachment 374865

First and foremost is New York City. I think it's the greatest city in the world, and I simply can't get there enough. If I could afford to live anywhere, and money was not a concern, drop my smilin' ass in the middle of Manhattan and leave me be.

View attachment 374868

View attachment 374869

Second would probably be Washington, DC. I think it's a place every American should visit at least once. I once walked from my hotel (The W Hotel by the White House) to the Vietnam and Lincoln Memorials, around to the Jefferson Memorial, around the Tidal Basin and back to the National mall, to the Capitol and then on to the Supreme Court, then back to my hotel. If I recall, the hike was about seven miles, and I was carrying a lot of photo gear.

View attachment 374875

View attachment 374876

I love visiting San Francisco. The best Chinese food I've ever had was in Chinatown there; House of Nanking.

View attachment 374877

View attachment 374878

As much as I love to travel, be it in the United States or abroad, there are still a ton of places I haven't visited yet.

But I will...
Thanks very much for for your post and the fantastic pics!

Very rarely I've gone somewhere and didn't enjoy it. I love to travel. That's a big reason why this whole COVID business is so frustrating. Apart from, you know, the death.

But the most stunning places I've been to are Venice, Lake Louise and the Grand Canyon. Those places completely knocked my socks off.
I had to cancel a trip to Colorado because of the lockdown in April...and have not make any plans to go as of late.
Travel will never be the same again to all these great beautiful places in the world.

Abroad?

View attachment 374857

View attachment 374858

View attachment 374859

View attachment 374860

View attachment 374864

View attachment 374865

View attachment 374868

View attachment 374869

View attachment 374875

View attachment 374876

View attachment 374877

View attachment 374878

But I will...
Good luck on that traveling in the future in this day and age with so many restrictions especiallly into other countries,that being said,Yeah California beautiful.love it.same as Disney world as someone mentioned,San Antonio is beautiful especially the riverwalk where I would like to spend an entire year there visiting,and how can you forget Hawaii of course,incredible beyond words that nobody has mentioned it up to this point.only got to go there once,did not want to leave.

Alborobello, Italy.

1597577069272.png

I walked through an open door when I first arrived; I really thought they were like a Museum. The little Italian lady who lived there looked surprised at first then couldn't stop laughing when I asked if it was a "museo"....she said "no". I said "Sorry; silly Americano".......and bolted.

Greg

Foreign places I've been:
Hong Kong.
Taiwan.
Japan.
Thailand.
French Polynesia (Tahiti/Bora Bora).
Philippines.
Iceland.
England.
Ireland.
Portugal.
Spain.
Mallorca.
France.
Monaco.
Italy (Naples, Trieste, Herculaneum, Pompeii, Italian Alps).
Sicily.
Greece.
Montenegro.
Croatia.
Lebanon.
Mexico.
Cuba.
Dominican Republic.
Turks and Caicos.
Canada (British Columbia, Manitoba).
As for the U.S. and its territories:
The entire lower 48, Alaska, Hawaiian Islands, Guam.
As to my preference of all those, I'd have to say it's a toss up between French Polynesia and the Hawaiian Islands.

Last edited:
Upstate New York, New England, Quebec, which to me are all one "place."

Love NYC, New Orleans, DC, Philly, Boston.

Really feel at home in small towns in Germany and Austria - don't know why. I like Italy, but oddly enough have a difficult time finding food that I like - and I don't want to kill two hours on a meal. Sorry.

Florida in Winter has some incredible places to just relax and hang out. I wouldn't want to live there, but to spend a month there every February - nothing finer.

Overseas: London and Somerset, England (where else can you find such places as Glastonbury, Cheddar, and Wookie Hole), Ireland, Turkey, and Greece.

Stateside: The Hudson Valley, Santa Fe, San Francisco. I'd love to visit New Orleans.

It sucks that I can't even renew my passport right now. It also sucks that we aren't allowed into so many countries right now. It also sucks that Egypt seems to be so dangerous right now because I really want to see it.
England and Ireland are great.
But why Egypt?

Foreign places I've been:
Hong Kong.
Taiwan.
Japan.
Thailand.
French Polynesia (Tahiti/Bora Bora).
Philippines.
Iceland.
England.
Ireland.
Portugal.
Spain.
Mallorca.
France.
Monaco.
Italy (Naples, Trieste, Herculaneum, Pompeii, Italian Alps).
Sicily.
Greece.
Montenegro.
Croatia.
Lebanon.
Mexico.
Cuba.
Dominican Republic.
Turks and Caicos.
Canada (British Columbia, Manitoba).
As for the U.S. and its territories:
The entire lower 48, Alaska, Hawaiian Islands, Guam.
As to my preference of all those, I'd have to say it's a toss up between French Polynesia and the Hawaiian Islands.
That is a lot!

I've left the country just once, when we took a family trip to Tijuana, Mexico. We were vacationing in California, at my Aunt and Uncle's place, and took a day trip to Tijuana. This was, I believe, the summer of 1972, when I was 11 years old. I was NOT pleased with the trip. I remember Tijuana being filthy, and overcrowded with tourists. Luckily I believe we spent only 3-4 hours there. My favorite place to visit is the Grand Canyon. I've been there twice, in roughly 1987 and 1992. Both visits were very enjoyable. I could NOT believe how beautiful the Canyon looked the first time I saw it in person. Just absolutely breathtaking. Another favorite of mine is the St. Louis Gateway Arch. I've visited just once, in early spring 1977, on a high school choir trip from Valparaiso, Indiana. We went up to the top of the Arch as part of our trip. It was fascinating. The view you get from there is incredible. Also, I really enjoyed my two visits to Disneyland, in Anaheim, California. I visited, with my family, in the summers of 1972 and 1978. Just spectacular fun for a young kid. I was 11 and 16 years old these two visits. I'd like to visit again someday.
You have started an interesting thread!

I've left the country just once, when we took a family trip to Tijuana, Mexico. We were vacationing in California, at my Aunt and Uncle's place, and took a day trip to Tijuana. This was, I believe, the summer of 1972, when I was 11 years old. I was NOT pleased with the trip. I remember Tijuana being filthy, and overcrowded with tourists. Luckily I believe we spent only 3-4 hours there. My favorite place to visit is the Grand Canyon. I've been there twice, in roughly 1987 and 1992. Both visits were very enjoyable. I could NOT believe how beautiful the Canyon looked the first time I saw it in person. Just absolutely breathtaking. Another favorite of mine is the St. Louis Gateway Arch. I've visited just once, in early spring 1977, on a high school choir trip from Valparaiso, Indiana. We went up to the top of the Arch as part of our trip. It was fascinating. The view you get from there is incredible. Also, I really enjoyed my two visits to Disneyland, in Anaheim, California. I visited, with my family, in the summers of 1972 and 1978. Just spectacular fun for a young kid. I was 11 and 16 years old these two visits. I'd like to visit again someday.

I think a place is good to visit when you're in the right mood. I also think when you go to a place and you have no expectations, it might exceed those expectations.

Kiev was such a place. No expectations, but I had a great time.

It's not as good as places like Rome where there's so much to see.

In the US... New York is okay, for a short time, wouldn't want to live there. I did live in Estes Park in Colorado, a great place (I was only there in the summer). unfortunately I don't drive so it limits where I can get to in the US, but in other countries less so.
The most beautiful place is for me was probably the canyon lands, in China there was another beautiful place in Qinghai province.

Southern Africa has a lot of beautiful landscapes too.

I would really like to go back to DC I was there in 1985 when Raygun was president I enjoyed the park where they had the 4th of July celebration it was a great time, especially since the Rayguns were in California. That was the year the Beach Boys played because Raygun insulted them and they tried to make it up by letting them perform in D.C.

DC has lots of things to do, like get robbed, get killed, a few museums and a lot of drugs

New Topics

Forum List

Back