What are some of your favorite places to visit, in the US or abroad?

bluzman61

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2019
Valparaiso, Indiana USA
I've left the country just once, when we took a family trip to Tijuana, Mexico. We were vacationing in California, at my Aunt and Uncle's place, and took a day trip to Tijuana. This was, I believe, the summer of 1972, when I was 11 years old. I was NOT pleased with the trip. I remember Tijuana being filthy, and overcrowded with tourists. Luckily I believe we spent only 3-4 hours there. My favorite place to visit is the Grand Canyon. I've been there twice, in roughly 1987 and 1992. Both visits were very enjoyable. I could NOT believe how beautiful the Canyon looked the first time I saw it in person. Just absolutely breathtaking. Another favorite of mine is the St. Louis Gateway Arch. I've visited just once, in early spring 1977, on a high school choir trip from Valparaiso, Indiana. We went up to the top of the Arch as part of our trip. It was fascinating. The view you get from there is incredible. Also, I really enjoyed my two visits to Disneyland, in Anaheim, California. I visited, with my family, in the summers of 1972 and 1978. Just spectacular fun for a young kid. I was 11 and 16 years old these two visits. I'd like to visit again someday.

I lived in Alexandria, VA for three months playing with the army and D.C. was twenty miles down the road. I got drunk one night in Chevy Chase and missed my ride back so I slept on a bus bench on Pennsylvania Ave. next to the White House...

Very rarely I've gone somewhere and didn't enjoy it. I love to travel. That's a big reason why this whole COVID business is so frustrating. Apart from, you know, the death.

But the most stunning places I've been to are Venice, Lake Louise and the Grand Canyon. Those places completely knocked my socks off.

Very rarely I've gone somewhere and didn't enjoy it. I love to travel. That's a big reason why this whole COVID business is so frustrating. Apart from, you know, the death.

But the most stunning places I've been to are Venice, Lake Louise and the Grand Canyon. Those places completely knocked my socks off.
I had to cancel a trip to Colorado because of the lockdown in April...and have not make any plans to go as of late.

Lamington Nation Park in the Gold Coast Hinterland and the Bunya Mountains, Sunshine Coast Hinterland.......could happily camp and hillwalk those for EVA!!!

Greg

Overseas: London and Somerset, England (where else can you find such places as Glastonbury, Cheddar, and Wookie Hole), Ireland, Turkey, and Greece.

Stateside: The Hudson Valley, Santa Fe, San Francisco. I'd love to visit New Orleans.

It sucks that I can't even renew my passport right now. It also sucks that we aren't allowed into so many countries right now. It also sucks that Egypt seems to be so dangerous right now because I really want to see it.

Every national park in Utah was different and mind boggling.I loved a town called Sprigdale UT.
Olympic in WA, Bandon Oregon. The Dominican Republic was great.Cuba, in the mountains.Vietnam is awesome in the south.My faves ? Colombia and Costa Rica/Nicaragua. If I wasn't invested here I'd be invested In Colombia, for sure.Chile is incredible but not quite tropical, so that's the only reason I wont live there.It's a fantastic country otherwise.
I MUST live in the tropics.

I lived in Alexandria, VA for three months playing with the army and D.C. was twenty miles down the road. I got drunk one night in Chevy Chase and missed my ride back so I slept on a bus bench on Pennsylvania Ave. next to the White House...
DC.

won't go back though until the current WH occupant is gone.

I've lived in the DC area for 40 years and love it. I probably know the bus bench that Moonglow slept on, as I worked in downtown DC close to the WH for decades and had many good times in Georgetown, Dupont, and Adams Morgan (Madame's Organ). A Polish woman once told me that DC reminded her of Warsaw. Old Town Alexandria is also wonderful.

I can't wait until the current WH occupant is gone and the place is fumigated thoroughly. The whole thing with Lafayette Park and St. John's really pissed me off.

DC.

I've lived in the DC area for 40 years and love it. I probably know the bus bench that Moonglow slept on, as I worked in downtown DC close to the WH for decades and had many good times in Georgetown, Dupont, and Adams Morgan (Madame's Organ). A Polish woman once told me that DC reminded her of Warsaw. Old Town Alexandria is also wonderful.

I can't wait until the current WH occupant is gone and the place is fumigated thoroughly. The whole thing with Lafayette Park and St. John's really pissed me off.
I would really like to go back to DC I was there in 1985 when Raygun was president I enjoyed the park where they had the 4th of July celebration it was a great time, especially since the Rayguns were in California. That was the year the Beach Boys played because Raygun insulted them and they tried to make it up by letting them perform in D.C.

I've left the country just once, when we took a family trip to Tijuana, Mexico. We were vacationing in California, at my Aunt and Uncle's place, and took a day trip to Tijuana. This was, I believe, the summer of 1972, when I was 11 years old. I was NOT pleased with the trip. I remember Tijuana being filthy, and overcrowded with tourists. Luckily I believe we spent only 3-4 hours there. My favorite place to visit is the Grand Canyon. I've been there twice, in roughly 1987 and 1992. Both visits were very enjoyable. I could NOT believe how beautiful the Canyon looked the first time I saw it in person. Just absolutely breathtaking. Another favorite of mine is the St. Louis Gateway Arch. I've visited just once, in early spring 1977, on a high school choir trip from Valparaiso, Indiana. We went up to the top of the Arch as part of our trip. It was fascinating. The view you get from there is incredible. Also, I really enjoyed my two visits to Disneyland, in Anaheim, California. I visited, with my family, in the summers of 1972 and 1978. Just spectacular fun for a young kid. I was 11 and 16 years old these two visits. I'd like to visit again someday.

Favorite place in the country is a little village called Hoonah, Alaska. I go fishing there every year since retiring.

Favorite place outside of the country is another little village in Canada called West Lorne. The scenery is breathtaking.

1597410057836.png

*****SMILE*****

:)

DC.

I would really like to go back to DC I was there in 1985 when Raygun was president I enjoyed the park where they had the 4th of July celebration it was a great time, especially since the Rayguns were in California. That was the year the Beach Boys played because Raygun insulted them and they tried to make it up by letting them perform in D.C.

Gawd. I remember when Raygun came to town. At least he wasn't here when you were. That was a great July 4th. I always loved it when they lit up the Memorial Bridge. In college, I was a marshal guarding the Capitol steps during the Vietnam protests and even marched in the protest of Nixon's second inauguration. We learned of the Saturday Night Massacre while playing cards in the university coffee house. Fun times. There is never a dull moment in DC. One of the takeaways is to always make a point to know where the restrooms are in the museums and monuments. I hate Port-O-Potties. :)

1. London
2. Hong Kong
3. NYC
4. Zion National Park, UT
5. Bryce Canyon, UT
6. Disney World, FL
7. Aruba
8. Vegas
9. San Francisco
10. Smokey Mountain National Park, NC/TN

Last edited:
Abroad?

I love Italy, but Rome is the single most crowded place I've ever been. It's fucking ridiculous. That said, I wouldn't hesitate to go back. I've been as far north as Florence, but there's a lot more to see even further north. I've been as far south as Naples and Pompeii.

48013810258_14a4ebd540_z.jpg

48013810148_425c2a3bfc_z.jpg

Ireland is great, especially the Temple Bar section of Dublin. The live music there is incredible. There's so much to see and do in Ireland, whether you stay near Dublin or head up to Northern Ireland.

48014057727_379632e0ab_z.jpg

48014057442_2769518d9b_z.jpg

Edinburgh, Scotland is, likewise, a great place for traditional music. You haven't heard truly joyous traditional music until you've heard it played by 20-somethings, who've likely never even seen a guitar amplifier, playing music on an acoustic guitar and a fiddle. Edinburgh, and Scotland overall, is a photographer's dream.

48013915991_57dc3c694e_z.jpg

48013899101_03bb4fd49d_z.jpg

Here in the United States?

First and foremost is New York City. I think it's the greatest city in the world, and I simply can't get there enough. If I could afford to live anywhere, and money was not a concern, drop my smilin' ass in the middle of Manhattan and leave me be.

48921541421_76d48983e8_z.jpg

48921744732_d87c8b748a_z.jpg

Second would probably be Washington, DC. I think it's a place every American should visit at least once. I once walked from my hotel (The W Hotel by the White House) to the Vietnam and Lincoln Memorials, around to the Jefferson Memorial, around the Tidal Basin and back to the National mall, to the Capitol and then on to the Supreme Court, then back to my hotel. If I recall, the hike was about seven miles, and I was carrying a lot of photo gear.

4493515580_4ae0248298_z.jpg

4493520738_660cb7c000_z.jpg

I love visiting San Francisco. The best Chinese food I've ever had was in Chinatown there; House of Nanking.

7181789955_3246f2a6cf_z.jpg

7181790433_652350b7b7_z.jpg

As much as I love to travel, be it in the United States or abroad, there are still a ton of places I haven't visited yet.

But I will...

Forum List

Back