What are some of your favorite classic soul or r&b songs all-time?

bluzman61

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2019
Valparaiso, Indiana USA
These would be songs from the 1960's and 70's, the classic era of soul and r&b music. Your picks from before or after this era are welcome, as well. There were SO many great songs from this time period, it's difficult for ME to pick my all-time favorites. Here ARE some of my favorites - 1) Try A Little Tenderness, by Otis Redding, my absolute favorite classic soul record. Otis goes from a nice gentle vocal start and gradually proceeds to an exclamatory shout by the end of the song. Pure magic. 2) Mustang Sally, by Wilson Pickett, just a great song to shake your butt to! Wilson's vocals are very fine and declamatory. 3) What's Going On, by Marvin Gaye, my favorite by him. Just a great song with wonderful vocals by Marvin, with very pointed and poignant lyrics. 4) Respect, by Aretha Franklin, my favorite soul record by a female artist. Aretha just belts this one out, and it's a joy to listen to. And this song was written by and first recorded by Otis Redding. To say she does his song justice is a HUGE understatement. 5) Superstition, by Stevie Wonder, my favorite song by him. I love the rocking underlying beat of this one. And it features some great drumming by none other than Stevie himself. Here are some of my favorites, what are some of yours?

I loved all this stuff, and still do. The O'Jays, Spinners, Marvin Gaye, Curtis Mayfield, James Brown, Aretha Franklin....Soul Train was one of my favorite shows -better than American Bandstand , ( all due respect to Dick Clark )

Forum List

Back