Wet Markets

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
So, regardless of whether the Rona got started in a wet market in Wuhan, it seems pretty clear that these are places where a lot can go wrong. These days people say "wet market" with disdain, imagining filth and attributing them to 3rd world conditions. However, it should be noted that wet markets exist ALL OVER THE WORLD. There are over 70 of them in NYC alone. If these places are really bad news, it's going to take a serious, sustained effort to eliminate them, or at least clean them up.

I'm all for 'wet markets'.

sara-underwood-vegas-pool-party-37-630x472.jpg

So, regardless of whether the Rona got started in a wet market in Wuhan, it seems pretty clear that these are places where a lot can go wrong. These days people say "wet market" with disdain, imagining filth and attributing them to 3rd world conditions. However, it should be noted that wet markets exist ALL OVER THE WORLD. There are over 70 of them in NYC alone. If these places are really bad news, it's going to take a serious, sustained effort to eliminate them, or at least clean them up.
Should all wet markets be closed or cleaned up?

wet-t-shirt-contest-tshirt-ann-west-anne-portrait-D12705.jpg

Nope. I think it is all propaganda.

If there is another time in history we can attribute a disease to so called "wet-markets?" point to it.

I think we need be more concerned with hygene and cleanliness. The free market will always cater to the needs of it's clientele. Wet markets I am sure, have been operating for hundreds, if not thousands of years now, and folks have been using them as a source of nutrition and sustenance just fine.

We need be more concerned with infestations of rats, insects, and other vermin in the large metropolises. If these are cleaned out, the folks that sell their product at food markets will always make sure their product is clean and hygenic of a standard that meets that which is demanded by the public.

Let the free market do it's work.

First the government came for the Wet Markets. . . and I said nothing.
Then the government came for the Community Gardens. . . and I said nothing.
Then they came for my Farmer's Market. . . and no one was left to say a word.

Just the other day, my mom was complaining about how the governor's order's were already spelling out how the markets at the Farmer's Market this summer would have to set up stalls, and cars would have to drive by them in a line? wtf?! Folks that old don't have much to look forward to in the summer.. . .

. . I don't think the republicans in the state house are going to let that fly for very long. Even the democrats in the state are outraged.

If American's put pressure on Asia to do something about their food markets, then the government will want to regulate our farmers markets. . . . and these are market places of freedom, places both Republicans and Democrats BOTH agree to meet and exchange wholesome fresh produce.

Wet markets in China are the only source of affordable food for one in five to one in three Chinese (depending on whom you ask). So, eliminating them is not an option, at least not in the short to medium term. The Chinese authorities seem to be engaged in a serious clean-up effort, regulating these things, prohibiting the sale of bats and other carriers. Education, on hygiene standards, it would appear, should be the main effort, and enforcement thereafter.

All the while, the administration under Trump is dismantling and defunding the system of food safety regulations and surveillance, handing much of the controlling over to the producers themselves. Meat producers controlling their own product. What could possibly go wrong?

Wet markets in China are the only source of affordable food for one in five to one in three Chinese (depending on whom you ask). ...
30-40 years ago it was much more than that, but today there are grocery stores (as we think of them) in any city of any reasonable size. It wouldn't be impossible to at least limit/clean them up to a very significant degree.

30-40 years ago it was much more than that, but today there are grocery stores (as we think of them) in any city of any reasonable size. It wouldn't be impossible to at least limit/clean them up to a very significant degree.

You seem to have missed the funny, that is, how Rightardia knows everything about, and screams for unleashing, the indisputable virtues of completely deregulated markets, right up until they scream for regulating markets.

I've been to many wet markets in many places. Some definitely cleaner than others.

I love going to the local morning markets when I'm in SE Asia. They sell everything fresh. I wouldn't trust a Chinese one though. Those savages probably sell fresh fetus.

Singapore is one of the cleanest places in the world. They have wet markets that are quite hygienic.

I still never shopped in them because, as an ignorant gwailo, I expect my food to be wrapped in plastic on little trays.

Forum List

Back