Western Ski Areas

glockmail

VIP Member
Aug 31, 2006
The beautiful Yadkin Valley
I am planning a family ski trip early next spring to extend our relatively short (3.5 month) NC season. My children have the week of April 2 off from school. This will be my first time skiing out west, so I know next to nothing about it. (Totally atypical of me, with an opinion on just about everything else.) We are looking at Colorado because it is a shorter flight from Charlotte, NC. Right now our plans are very open, with the simple goal to maximize vertical feet/ dollar within the one week available. Any suggestions? :wine:

I am planning a family ski trip early next spring to extend our relatively short (3.5 month) NC season. My children have the week of April 2 off from school. This will be my first time skiing out west, so I know next to nothing about it. (Totally atypical of me, with an opinion on just about everything else.) We are looking at Colorado because it is a shorter flight from Charlotte, NC. Right now our plans are very open, with the simple goal to maximize vertical feet/ dollar within the one week available. Any suggestions? :wine:

Winter Park is nice, Vail is awesome but too crowded, Aspen has its own airport but is full of snobs and is way too expensive for the quality of hill.

You can stay in Fraser which is right around the corner from Winter Park (both the town and the resort) and slightly less expensive than staying in Winter Park. There is also some GREAT Ice Fishing at Grand Lake, also just around the corner from Fraser.

How long do you plan on staying? There are passes that will allow you to go to more than one resort and ski to your heart's content. I can give you a ton of advise, just give me a bit of direction here!

How good are you at skiing?

How long are you staying?

• Banned
Winter Park is nice, Vail is awesome but too crowded, Aspen has its own airport but is full of snobs and is way too expensive for the quality of hill.

You can stay in Fraser which is right around the corner from Winter Park (both the town and the resort) and slightly less expensive than staying in Winter Park. There is also some GREAT Ice Fishing at Grand Lake, also just around the corner from Fraser.

How long do you plan on staying? There are passes that will allow you to go to more than one resort and ski to your heart's content. I can give you a ton of advise, just give me a bit of direction here!

How good are you at skiing?

How long are you staying?

We are steering towards Winter Park for several reasons, including the recomendation of a friend with a time share there (It's not available when we are going).

My son hates to fish, but thanks for the info. Him and I especially are interested in the most "verts" possible. And we are skiers- not boarders.

I'm a level 8 or so skier (out of 10), NASTAR silver. I should be a 9 by the end of the season. I'm going to race camp in December here in NC. My son is a J3 racer. He passed by my level (I'm 47, he's 14) last year. He's becoming the type that people stop to watch, and comment, on the double blacks. Spouse and daughter are levels 4 and 5, and not nearly as committed as us do or die-hards.

We will be staying for the week, probably skiing M-F.

I appreciate your advise!:rock:

is correct if ya are going to Colorado...Fraser and Winter Park are pretty good and more reasonable...However I would still reccommend Tahoe...but stay on the Nevada side of the lake...not as snobish and more to do...and your cute wife will love the shopping! I don't ski anymore since I had a work related accident 4years ago...still have residual mylopothy in both legs...strength and endurance took a walk...and I run like a duck...:teeth:

It's been quite a few years, but I had a blast at Steamboat Springs. Prices then were much cheaper than Aspen or Vail.

steamboat or telluride

We are steering towards Winter Park for several reasons, including the recomendation of a friend with a time share there (It's not available when we are going).

My son hates to fish, but thanks for the info. Him and I especially are interested in the most "verts" possible. And we are skiers- not boarders.

I'm a level 8 or so skier (out of 10), NASTAR silver. I should be a 9 by the end of the season. I'm going to race camp in December here in NC. My son is a J3 racer. He passed by my level (I'm 47, he's 14) last year. He's becoming the type that people stop to watch, and comment, on the double blacks. Spouse and daughter are levels 4 and 5, and not nearly as committed as us do or die-hards.

We will be staying for the week, probably skiing M-F.

I appreciate your advise!:rock:

You'd want to go to Mary Jane, it's an area of WP that has only Blue and up, some good bumps over there...

Park City/Deer Valley (utah). I am heading out there over winter break. My family has been there a couple of times now in the last 10 years, we have had only good experiences.

Looks like Winter Park, CO is the winner. I've got 4 months on the local hill to re-learn how to ski (bought new boots).

It doesn't take long. It's like bike riding. Your body remembers...

We may see each other up there... My family owns a house in Fraser and we go often.. This year is the first year my bio-kids will be going skiing, they are finally old enough for lessons...

:D

It doesn't take long. It's like bike riding. Your body remembers...

We may see each other up there... My family owns a house in Fraser and we go often.. This year is the first year my bio-kids will be going skiing, they are finally old enough for lessons...

:D

I've been on these new boots for about 9-10 runs. The first two runs was like I was learning the sport from scratch, and I'm just now begiing to get confidence back, but not nearly where I was before. They are very different than my 25 year old boots (comfy, two pairs of socks). These are worn with a thin liner sock only, very stiff with lots of foward lean and unforgiving camber. It's what I wanted to take me to the next level, but I must admit I am having second thoughts.

I've been on these new boots for about 9-10 runs. The first two runs was like I was learning the sport from scratch, and I'm just now begiing to get confidence back, but not nearly where I was before. They are very different than my 25 year old boots (comfy, two pairs of socks). These are worn with a thin liner sock only, very stiff with lots of foward lean and unforgiving camber. It's what I wanted to take me to the next level, but I must admit I am having second thoughts.

You have to trust the boot and lean strongly. You'll find them far more comfortable that way. It's like riding a motorcycle you have to learn to trust the bike to do what it should when you lean into a heavy turn. Keep it up, you'll get it.

You have to trust the boot and lean strongly. You'll find them far more comfortable that way. It's like riding a motorcycle you have to learn to trust the bike to do what it should when you lean into a heavy turn. Keep it up, you'll get it.
Exactly as I'm starting to figure out. Plus, with the severe camber you have to have your skis nearly duct-taped together parallel to keep them flat. In order to widen your stance you have to keep your knees bent, butt down. Otherwise you're on your inside edges and your skis are trying to cross each other. I no longer have the option to use a wider, lazy stance for coasting through blue and green areas or traversing.

Forum List

Back