Western Denialism

eagleseven

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Jul 8, 2009
OH
Belmont Club: I Want My MTV

Two articles, one by Christopher Booker describing the impending bankruptcy of the UK and another by Victor Davis Hanson describing the catatonic walk over the financial edge by California are united by a single theme: the power of denial.

Britain is broke, says Booker, but none of its major parties want to admit it because it would force them to run on a platform of belt-tightening, welfare cutbacks and sacrifice. But since a public long conditioned to hearing comforting lies would never accept the truth, nothing will be mentioned until the final smash. Until then the voters will be beguiled with soap opera causes, celebrity news and public-relations sleight of hand.

Until recently the difference between the First and Third Worlds was a that the Western future was real. The Western tomorrow was a definite quantity; loans would mature at a certain date, elections would be held at scheduled times and the pension check would arrive in the mail every 15th and 30th of the month. By contrast the Third World timescale had only the present. Tomorrow was ink on a calendar. Only things you could touch, take or use now were real. Checks in the future were as unreal as rocket ships and rayguns.

What a whole generation of Western political leaders have done is abolish the future. Comprehensively and perhaps irretrievably. And since that hasn’t happened in two generations, very few can even come to terms with it. Victor Davis Hanson describes the bewilderment of Californians who find that, for the first time in living memory, tomorrow isn’t coming. It’s so absurd people treat the fact with disbelief. People continue to act rich even though they’re poor. They live as if that check will arrive tomorrow even though no one can give a reason why it should.

Are we a nation in denial?

Of course not.

EE-Nile.jpg

De Columbia, or DeMississippi, maybe. When it is hot it is nice to swim in de Columbia, despite the fact it is so cold

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEU_iiXcyPc"]see the pyramids[/ame]

Last edited:
Californians are beginning to wake up, finally. Some liberals running for office are beginning to sound like conservatives.

Today is yesterday's tomorrow, that people have been predicting for ages. The bill is due and being presented.

It is interesting how folks are responding to it.

The entire nation isn't in denial. Just the Republican half. They deny science. They are anti education. They endlessly tear down the best president we have had in generations.

Of course, they believe they have reason for that:
He's black
He too smart
He has too much education
He uses words I don't know so that makes him arrogant

Californians are beginning to wake up, finally. Some liberals running for office are beginning to sound like conservatives.

Im tired of people sounding like something rather than actually being something.

The entire nation isn't in denial. Just the Republican half. They deny science. They are anti education. They endlessly tear down the best president we have had in generations.

He's black
He too smart

I think the question has been answered thoroughly right here, though I doubt it was in the way that rdean intended to.

He's black
He too smart

Obsessive Delusional Heterodoxy Disorder (ODHD)
by Neil Gardner (16/05/2004)

Most people have an aptitude for teamwork and instinctively know when constructive discussion and even new ideas are both welcome and socially advantageous. But some are not so fortunate. They live in a state of paranoid fear and dismiss conventional wisdom on most issues, often leading to obsessional interest in erudite subjects. In synthesis they turn reality on its head, never believing anything emanating from respected mainstream sources.

There are alot of people in the nation in denial. The bottom has dropped and alot of people arent noticing the bulldozers pushing us into the hole yet. But they will.

We've built a society on dishonesty. We've been living in illusions for decades. And most have not even contemplated what's coming.

How do I get myself a star wars Yedi picture? I feel out of it, spacey, and in need of new identity. Got help? ... I long for the peace of mind of yester years, but I wear truth much better.

Mister Flew

Peace to all.

So many animals have tails, why was the game titled pin the tail on the donkey? Which party got the mule for an emblem? Is this a conspiracy? If so, contact England and let them know not to cut social services. It's a conspiracy covered in a game with pins and tails. Those clapping hands to the right drive me nuts. I vote we remove them for good.

Mister Flew

Peace & Love to all.

New Topics

Forum List

Back