Were Most Of America's Founding Fathers - Christians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Founding Father - John Hancock:
Once the wealthiest merchant in Boston, John Hancock was groomed by Sam Adams and became one of the leading player in the Revolution. He
JohnHancock.png
presided over the Second Continental Congress and was the sole signer of the Dunlap-Broadside version of the Declaration. He was the first elected governor of Massachusetts, and was reelected 8 times. He was reelected President of the Second Continental Congress after the ratification of the Articles of Confederation, and presided over the Massachusetts convention which ratified the Constitution of the United States. Hancock’s signature is the largest on the Declaration of Independence.

Quotes:

“All confidence must be withheld from the Means we use; and reposed only on that GOD who rules in the Armies of Heaven, and without whose Blessing the best human Counsels are but Foolishness--and all created Power Vanity.

"RESOLVED, That it be, and hereby is recommended to the good People of this Colony of all Denominations, that THURSDAY the Eleventh Day of May next be set apart as a Day of Public Humiliation, Fasting and Prayer...to confess the sins...to implore the Forgiveness of all our Transgression...and a blessing on the Husbandry, Manufactures, and other lawful Employments of this People; and especially that the union of the American Colonies in Defense of their Rights (for hitherto we desire to thank Almighty GOD) may be preserved and confirmed....And that AMERICA may soon behold a gracious Interposition of Heaven."By Order of the [Massachusetts] Provincial Congress, John Hancock, President.”

John Hancock

Last edited:
Founding Father - James Madison:
James Madison

James Madison, co-author of the “Federalist Papers,” was an Episcopalian and trained for the ministry with the Rev. Dr. John
JamesMadison.png
Witherspoon. He was a member of the Virginia legislature from 1776-80 and 1784-86, of the Continental Congress in 1780-83, and the Constitutional Convention in 1787. It was in that Convention that he earned the title "Father of the Constitution."

Quotes:

• "It is the duty of every man to render to the Creator such homage. Before any man can be considered as a member of Civil Society, he must be considered as a subject of the Governor of the Universe.
    "We have staked the whole future of American civilization, not upon the power of government, far from it. We have staked the future of all our political institutions upon the capacity of mankind for self government; upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control ourselves to sustain ourselves according to the Ten Commandments of God."

“The purpose of separation of church and state is to keep forever from these shores the ceaseless strife that has soaked the soil of Europe in blood for centuries.”
James Madison

Founding Father - John Witherspoon:

John Witherspoon

John Witherspoon received a fine education in Edinburgh, Scotland, where he earned a Master of Arts, spent four years in divinity school, and at the
JohnWitherspoon.png
age of 20, he became a Presbytarian minister. He authored three noted theology works, and at the urging of influential Americans including Dr. Benjamin Rush and Richard Stockton, came to America at age 45, where he became the sixth President of College of New Jersey, now known as Princeton, from 1768-92. He was a delegate to the Continental Congress, signed the Declaration of Independence, and and was twice elected to New Jersey State Legislature from 1776 to 1782.

John Witherspoon

Founding Father - Dr. Benjamin Rush:

Dr. Benjamin Rush

At the time of his death, Dr. Benjamin Rush -- along with George
Dr.BenjaminRush.png
Washington and Benjamin Franklin -- was arguably one of America’s three most notable men. He was a signer of the Declaration of Independence, helped found five colleges, served under three presidents, and personally trained more than 3,000 medical students. He is also the founder of the Sunday School movement in America as well as the first Bible society in America. He published the first American textbook on chemistry. He was active in the Sons of Liberty in Philadelphia.

Quotes:

"Let the children...be carefully instructed in the principles and obligations of the Christian religion. This is the most essential part of education. The great enemy of the salvation of man, in my opinion, never invented a more effectual means of extirpating Christianity from the world than by persuading mankind that it was improper to read the Bible at schools."

"The only foundation for a useful education in a republic is to be laid in religion. Without this there can be no virtue, and without virtue there can be no liberty."

Dr. Benjamin Rush

Founding Father - Dr. Benjamin Rush:

Dr. Benjamin Rush

At the time of his death, Dr. Benjamin Rush -- along with George
Dr.BenjaminRush.png
Washington and Benjamin Franklin -- was arguably one of America’s three most notable men. He was a signer of the Declaration of Independence, helped found five colleges, served under three presidents, and personally trained more than 3,000 medical students. He is also the founder of the Sunday School movement in America as well as the first Bible society in America. He published the first American textbook on chemistry. He was active in the Sons of Liberty in Philadelphia.

Quotes:

"Let the children...be carefully instructed in the principles and obligations of the Christian religion. This is the most essential part of education. The great enemy of the salvation of man, in my opinion, never invented a more effectual means of extirpating Christianity from the world than by persuading mankind that it was improper to read the Bible at schools."

"The only foundation for a useful education in a republic is to be laid in religion. Without this there can be no virtue, and without virtue there can be no liberty."

Dr. Benjamin Rush

Where is any of that in THE LAW?
No one is arguing with you Moe that the Founders stated they were Christian.
I am Christian.
A Christian that knows that The Constitution is THE LAW in this country and the government was set up by the Founders as SECULAR.
To protect me from the religious clowns and kooks that want to control government same as all European countries did at the time The Constitution was formed.

Founding Father - Thomas Jefferson:

Thomas Jefferson

Thomas Jefferson attended William and Mary College where he studied math, science, literature, philosophy, and law. In April 1767, he was
ThomasJefferson.png
admitted to the Virginia bar. He soon became known as a champion of independence from England. In 1775, he was appointed to the First Continental Congress, and in 1776, the Second Continental Congress which chose him to author the Declaration of Independence. He served in the Virginia House of Delegates, and he was the governor of Virginia during the Revolutionary War

Quotes:

"I am a real Christian, that is to say, a disciple of the doctrines of Jesus. I have little doubt that our whole country will soon be rallied to the unity of our creator."

“My views...are the result of a life of inquiry and reflection, and very different from the anti-Christian system imputed to me by those who know nothing of my opinions. To the corruptions of Christianity I am, indeed, opposed; but not to the genuine precepts of Jesus himself. I am a Christian in the only sense in which He wished any one to be; sincerely attached to his doctrines in preference to all others.”

“To the corruptions of Christianity I am, indeed opposed; but not to the genuine precepts of Jesus himself. I am a Christian, in the only sense in which he wished any one to be; sincerely attached to his doctrines, in preference to all others.”

“But the greatest of all the reformers of the depraved religion of His own country, was Jesus of Nazareth.”

Thomas Jefferson

Founding Father - George Washington:

George Washington

George Washington, known as the "Father of Our Country," was a farmer, military officer, and the first President of the United States.
GeorgeWashington.png

In 1753, at the age of 21 and with no previous military experience, he became a major in the Virginia militia during the French and Indian Wars. Within two years, he was in command of all the Virginia forces. In 1758, he was elected to the Virginia House of Burgesses and left the army in order to serve in the House from 1759-1774.

Quotes:

‘Every officer and man...to live, and act, as becomes a Christian Soldier defending the dearest rights and liberties of his country.’

“We ought to be no less persuaded that the propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained; and since the preservation of the sacred fire of liberty and the destiny of the republican model of government are justly considered as deeply, perhaps finally, staked on the experiment.”

George Washington

Founding Father - Noah Webster:

Noah Webster

Noah Webster, the Father of American Education, was a revolutionary soldier, judge, legislator, American Founder, and the creator of Webster's Dictionary. He served served nine terms in the Connecticut General
NoahWebster.png
Assembly, three terms in the Massachusetts Legislature, and four years as a judge. One of the first Founding Fathers to call for a Constitutional Convention, he was also one of the most active in the ratification of the Constitution.

Quotes:

“About a year ago, an unusual revival of religion took place in New Haven...and I was lead by a spontaneous impulse of repentance, prayer, and entire submission of myself to my Maker and Redeemer. In the month of April last, I made a profession of faith.”. This unusual revival was a part of the Great Awakening that shook America in the early 19th Century.”

"Every civil government is based upon some religion or philosophy of life. Education in a nation will propagate the religion of that nation. In America, the foundational religion was Christianity. And it was sown in the hearts of Americans through the home and private and public schools for centuries. Our liberty, growth, and prosperity was the result of a Biblical philosophy of life. Our continued freedom and success is dependent on our educating the youth of America in the principles of Christianity."

Noah Webster

Founding Father - Patrick Henry:

Patrick Henry

Patrick Henry, one of the most successful criminal attorneys of his time, garnered a reputation as a brilliant orator after his defense of the
PatrickHenry.png
natural rights of Americans against King George III’s interference with the tax laws in Virginia. He served in the First Continental Congress, and in 1775, at the Virginia Convention, he sponsored measures for armed resistance to the British. He was a delegate to the Second Continental Congress, and then opposed the Constitution because he thought it didn’t provide sufficiently for states and individual rights. Because he was concerned about the federal government’s authority, he championed the adoption of the Bill of Rights.

Quotes:

“It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace-- but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! The next gale that sweeps from the north will bring to our ears the clash of resounding arms! Our brethren are already in the field! Why stand we here idle? What is it that gentlemen wish? What would they have? Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!”

“Doctor, I wish you to observe how real and beneficial the religion of Christ is to a man about to die....I am, however, much consoled by reflecting that the religion of Christ has, from its first appearance in the world, been attacked in vain by all the wits, philosophers, and wise ones, aided by every power of man, and its triumphs have been complete.”

Patrick Henry

Well ... you get the picture. Our most outspoken and influential Founding Fathers were Christians and their beliefs permeated their positions of leadership and the influence that came with it. Check out this site for more information: Christianity and America | Faith of Our Fathers

Last week, I heard it again: That oft-repeated urban legend that we’ve heard so often. This time, to my horror, I heard it from a well-educated pastor: “Our founding fathers were not Christians. They were deists, atheists, and agnostics.”
Au contraire!
The pilgrims, as you will recall, were, Christians fleeing Europe in order to escape religious persecution, and they literally began their stay in their new land with the words, “In the name of God, Amen.”
ConstitutionSigning.png

As I've posted before (straight from the Library of Congress), the Continental Congress literally "sponsored" the printing of the Bible. You can find the link to that site in my signature line.

In 1777. Continental Congress voted to spend $300,000 to purchase bibles which were to be distributed throughout the 13 colonies! And in 1782, the United States Congress declared, “The Congress of the United States recommends and approves the Holy Bible for use in all schools."

Christianity and America | Faith of Our Fathers

Deism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In the United States, Enlightenment philosophy (which itself was heavily inspired by deist ideals) played a major role in creating the principle of religious freedom, expressed in Thomas Jefferson's letters and included in the First Amendment to the United States Constitution. American Founding Fathers, or Framers of the Constitution, who were especially noted for being influenced by such philosophy include Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, Cornelius Harnett, Gouverneur Morris, and Hugh Williamson. Their political speeches show distinct deistic influence.

Other notable Founding Fathers may have been more directly deist. These include James Madison, possibly Alexander Hamilton, Ethan Allen,[47] and Thomas Paine (who published The Age of Reason, a treatise that helped to popularize deism throughout the USA and Europe).

Deism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In the United States, Enlightenment philosophy (which itself was heavily inspired by deist ideals) played a major role in creating the principle of religious freedom, expressed in Thomas Jefferson's letters and included in the First Amendment to the United States Constitution. American Founding Fathers, or Framers of the Constitution, who were especially noted for being influenced by such philosophy include Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, Cornelius Harnett, Gouverneur Morris, and Hugh Williamson. Their political speeches show distinct deistic influence.

Other notable Founding Fathers may have been more directly deist. These include James Madison, possibly Alexander Hamilton, Ethan Allen,[47] and Thomas Paine (who published The Age of Reason, a treatise that helped to popularize deism throughout the USA and Europe).

:lol::lol: Hahahahaha. Wikipedia? Lololololololol :lol::lol:

Founding Father - George Mason:

George Mason

George Mason, the principal author of the Bill of Rights, was a well-to-do Virginia farmer, lawyer, judge, and politician. In 1749 he served as a
GeorgeMason.png
justice of the Fairfax County Court, and in 1775-76 was a representative to the temporary government of the state of Virginia, the Virginia Convention. He is best known as the author of the Virginia Declaration of Rights, which spelled out the concept that men are, by nature, free and that they have inherent rights.

Quotes:

"My soul I resign into the hands of my Almighty Creator, whose tender mercies are all over His works, who hateth nothing that He hath made, and to the justice and wisdom of whose dispensations I willingly and cheerfully submit, humbly hoping from His unbounded mercy and benevolence, through the merits of my blessed Savior, a remission of my sins".

George Mason

Founding Father - John Marshall:

John Marshall

John Marshall served as an officer in the Continental Army from 1775 until 1779, where he became a devoted fan of General George
JohnMarshall.png
Washington. His admiration prompted him to write a biography of Washington. He became a lawyer in 1780 and was elected to the Virginia House of Delegates in 1782, 1787, and 1795. He was a champion of the Constitution at the Virginia ratifying convention in 1788, earning the gratitude of his hero, Washington.

Quote:

"The American population is entirely Christian, and with us Christianity and Religion are identified. It would be strange indeed, if with such a people, our institutions did not presuppose Christianity, and did not often refer to it, and exhibit relations with it."

John Marshall

George Washington was not a deist -- he was a Christian:

ONE NATION UNDER GOD: (2) George Washington was not a Deist! - YouTube
“The government of the United States is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion”
* - George Washington

Since you offer no link I'm assuming that your quote is the one found in the Treaty of Tripoli. That treaty was not written by George Washington so you have falsely attributed the quote to him. And you all say that Barton is dishonest?

If you can link Washington to such a quote elsewhere then I shall retract my statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back