We're Gonna Change the Course of an Asteroid

CarlinAnnArbor

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2016
I hope they thought this through.
What if we knock it out of it's stable orbit and it's sent to earth? 😂

1664157230232.png

It's something that needs to be figured out, but the downside is of course if you can do it to deflect an asteroid away from Earth, logic states you can also then deflect an asteroid TOWARDS Earth.

I hope they thought this through.
What if we knock it out of it's stable orbit and it's sent to earth? 😂

View attachment 701555

She has a couple good points
Kidding aside, I think this is great news! I've been posting about asteroid deflection for years. For all the billions we piss away on who knows what, lets piss it away on something that actually might save our collective arses someday.

NASA Is About to Crash Into an Asteroid. Here’s How to Watch.
The DART mission has been flying to its target since launching last year. On Monday night, it will connect.
Watch NASA’s DART Mission to Crash Into an Asteroid and Defend the Earth

NASA Television will broadcast coverage of the end of this mission beginning at 6 p.m. Or you can watch it in the video player embedded above.
If all you want to watch is a stream of photos from the spacecraft as it closes in on the asteroid, NASA’s media channel will begin broadcasting those at 5:30 p.m.

DART is set to crash into Dimorphos at 14,000 miles per hour at 7:14 p.m. Eastern time on Monday.
On Monday, NASA’s Double Asteroid Redirection Test spacecraft, or DART, is set to collide with Dimorphos, a small asteroid that is the moon of a larger space rock, Didymos.

You can not blow it up because the asteroid is in a vacuum.

I believe the only way we can change the direction of an asteroid is by hitting it with a “massive” object.

I believe we should find another asteroid and change its direction to hit Dimorphoe

:)-

IT'S DONE!
The equivalent of a small car hitting this small asteroid at 4 miles per second

Last edited:
AND IT WORKED.

They hit THE MOON of an asteroid that was traveling thousands of miles an hour, hundreds of millions of miles away, and IT WORKED. Now we know it's possible to change the trajectory of an asteroid that is threatening us. The movie "Armageddon" has NOTHING on these folks.

Science is FUCKING AMAZING.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Forum List

Back