Welp...I done did It.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it. There's nothing like a slow roasted and smoked meats....it's perfect for a beef quarter and ribs at cookout socials or suckling pig for fall/winter dinner parties.

Be forewarned...I began my foray into outdoor cooking with a grill. Eventually, I came to prefer it to cooking inside, so much so that I installed an outdoor kitchen. Now that the kids are mostly out of the house, I almost always use only the kitchenette in my bedroom or the outdoor kitchen. I have two other kitchens in the house and aside from the fridges there, they go largely unused. Had I known then what I know now, I wouldn't have installed a downstairs kitchen, but that renovation happened before I discovered the joys of outdoor cooking. C'est la vie.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it. There's nothing like a slow roasted and smoked meats....it's perfect for a beef quarter and ribs at cookout socials or suckling pig for fall/winter dinner parties.

Be forewarned...I began my foray into outdoor cooking with a grill. Eventually, I came to prefer it to cooking inside, so much so that I installed an outdoor kitchen. Now that the kids are mostly out of the house, I almost always use only the kitchenette in my bedroom or the outdoor kitchen. I have two other kitchens in the house and aside from the fridges there, they go largely unused. Had I known then what I know now, I wouldn't have installed a downstairs kitchen, but that renovation happened before I discovered the joys of outdoor cooking. C'est la vie.

Already have the ODK bug.
All my built in shit is Fire Magic...

It's an easy affliction to get. It keeps all the grease, smells and smoke outside. Clean-up is easier and less urgent than it would be inside. It's more convenient for everyone involved when I have parties and get togethers, especially in the summer. Cooking over wood imparts flavors I can't get in the kitchen. It cuts down on interior energy needs.

Some people say it saves on interior cooling costs. I don't buy that line. After paying to install an outdoor kitchen, I can tell you that I couldn't in 50 years spend that much money to heat and cool my home. Maybe somebody's saving money by having an outdoor kitchen, but I'm not nor did I expect to. I think one may be able to save by cooking on a more basic grill, but not by installing a full-on kitchen.

I don't know a thing about brands of equipment, which is what I presume Fire Magic is. I know the brand of my own stuff, but I have no idea of who else makes such things or what they make.

It's an easy affliction to get. It keeps all the grease, smells and smoke outside. Clean-up is easier and less urgent than it would be inside. It's more convenient for everyone involved when I have parties and get togethers, especially in the summer. Cooking over wood imparts flavors I can't get in the kitchen. It cuts down on interior energy needs.

Some people say it saves on interior cooling costs. I don't buy that line. After paying to install an outdoor kitchen, I can tell you that I couldn't in 50 years spend that much money to heat and cool my home. Maybe somebody's saving money by having an outdoor kitchen, but I'm not nor did I expect to. I think one may be able to save by cooking on a more basic grill, but not by installing a full-on kitchen.

I don't know a thing about brands of equipment, which is what I presume Fire Magic is. I know the brand of my own stuff, but I have no idea of who else makes such things or what they make.

I love cooking outside myself.
But this time of year the last thing you wanna be doing is hanging over a hot grill.
Which is one of the reason I got a pellet pooper. Set and forget simplicity so I can hangout in the A/C.

But this time of year the last thing you wanna be doing is hanging over a hot grill.

....Then there's always my parents' approach to such things: that's what grown kids are for. LOL Now that I have my own, I understand why my brother and I always had to man the grill at cookouts. LOL

I love cooking outside myself. But this time of year the last thing you wanna be doing is hanging over a hot grill. Which is one of the reason I got a pellet pooper. Set and forget simplicity so I can hangout in the A/C.

Well, this time of year, I'm certainly not out there in the middle of the day. Also, the summer gatherings I host commence most often after seven or eight o'clock. That said, in my family, dinner's at eight or later no matter the time of year, the exceptions being Christmas and Thanksgiving.

Even so, the heat's not bad; the kitchen outside is heavily shaded, so I don't have to suffer the sun's direct heat and that from the grills. I don't know why, but when I'm outside cooking, I don't notice the heat nearly as I do when I'm just outside in it and not cooking. I wish I had an explanation for that, but I don't.

When the kids are around, they tend to have large pool parties (100 to 200 people -- Why do young people only want to have huge bashes? I was the same, and I still don't know. LOL), and when they do, my sons and I take turns manning/monitoring the Argentine grill -- they more turns than I...if I notice it needs something, I'll deal with it because I've passed by and seen so...LOL. The caterers handle the rest, that is to say, the basic food items that require a constant presence at a grill.

Unlike my kids, I prefer more intimate gatherings of four to 20 people. I don't generally use caterers for them, but like you, I do the "set it and forget it" thing as much as possible. When the weather's cooler, I'll do burgers and/or sausages, fish and chips, crab and shellfish, and other items that cook quickly, thus calling me to keep close to the heat of the fryer and "flat" barbecue grill.

....Then there's always my parents' approach to such things: that's what grown kids are for. LOL Now that I have my own, I understand why my brother and I always had to man the grill at cookouts. LOL

I love cooking outside myself. But this time of year the last thing you wanna be doing is hanging over a hot grill. Which is one of the reason I got a pellet pooper. Set and forget simplicity so I can hangout in the A/C.

Well, this time of year, I'm certainly not out there in the middle of the day. Also, the summer gatherings I host commence most often after seven or eight o'clock. That said, in my family, dinner's at eight or later no matter the time of year, the exceptions being Christmas and Thanksgiving.

Even so, the heat's not bad; the kitchen outside is heavily shaded, so I don't have to suffer the sun's direct heat and that from the grills. I don't know why, but when I'm outside cooking, I don't notice the heat nearly as I do when I'm just outside in it and not cooking. I wish I had an explanation for that, but I don't.

When the kids are around, they tend to have large pool parties (100 to 200 people -- Why do young people only want to have huge bashes? I was the same, and I still don't know. LOL), and when they do, my sons and I take turns manning/monitoring the Argentine grill -- they more turns than I...if I notice it needs something, I'll deal with it because I've passed by and seen so...LOL. The caterers handle the rest, that is to say, the basic food items that require a constant presence at a grill.

Unlike my kids, I prefer more intimate gatherings of four to 20 people. I don't generally use caterers for them, but like you, I do the "set it and forget it" thing as much as possible. When the weather's cooler, I'll do burgers and/or sausages, fish and chips, crab and shellfish, and other items that cook quickly, thus calling me to keep close to the heat of the fryer and "flat" barbecue grill.

In Southeast Texas it's still in the mid nineties in the evenings this time of year.
Another reason I love the idea of the pellet poopers is that I can throw some meat on the smoker and have it finnish by the end of the football game without ever leaving my seat.

This thing is completely programmable.
You can set it for say two hours at 180 for heavy smoke and it will automatically go to your next temp choice of say 250 to finnish at which point an alarm will sound on your remote letting you know it's ready.
It also can be set up to tell when your meat has reached a target temp and it will then go to it's lowest setting to keep things warm if you're away from the pit.
It also has an app so you can adjust all functions from anywhere.

In Southeast Texas it's still in the mid nineties in the evenings this time of year.
Another reason I love the idea of the pellet poopers is that I can throw some meat on the smoker and have it finnish by the end of the football game without ever leaving my seat.

You can set it for say two hours at 180 for heavy smoke and it will automatically go to your next temp choice of say 250 to finnish at which point an alarm will sound on your remote letting you know it's ready.
It also can be set up to tell when your meat has reached a target temp and it will then go to it's lowest setting to keep things warm if you're away from the pit.

It's not that hot in D.C.

My equipment is a older and not nearly so fancy. That's probably for the best. My cars have a lot of that programmable "this and that" and I don't know how to use a lot of it. The closest I get to that sort of thing is with the house itself. I can control the climate, blinds, security, doors, gate and entertainment system from my phone or any control panel in the house. Now ask me how often I bother to do so? LOL

Last edited:

My equipment is a older and not nearly so fancy.

Oh I still plan to keep Ol Rusty for the winter where you enjoy hanging out by the fire.
Preburn for the logs is actually enjoyable.
upload_2017-7-22_10-30-9.png

upload_2017-7-22_10-30-47.png

My equipment is a older and not nearly so fancy.

Oh I still plan to keep Ol Rusty for the winter where you enjoy hanging out by the fire.
Preburn for the logs is actually enjoyable.
View attachment 139995
View attachment 139996

Sounds like a good plan.

Forum List

Back