Well? What did you have for dinner tonight??

My husband was asking me in the store the other day why they had all these sales on black-eyed peas, of all things. I explained the tradition to him, and he looked at me like a dog listening to a high-pitched sound.

View attachment 582228

Then he said, "You southern people are weird."
Too funny Cecile (I happen to have a slight southern accent so I can relate well). I once had a man ask me what hominy was when he saw a can in my cart. The expression on his face indicated that he’d never be trying it…good I didn’t go into sales! Maybe he thought it was generic corn, the cheap kind. Lol I have always liked it and my daughter does as well, but nobody else in the family cares for it.

Too funny Cecile (I happen to have a slight southern accent so I can relate well). I once had a man ask me what hominy was when he saw a can in my cart. The expression on his face indicated that he’d never be trying it…good I didn’t go into sales! Maybe he thought it was generic corn, the cheap kind. Lol I have always liked it and my daughter does as well, but nobody else in the family cares for it.

Very few people in my area eat hominy in the Southern ways (including me), but it's a huge deal in Mexican dishes like posole. I think a lot of people around here don't even know that other people besides Mexicans eat hominy.

No appetite anymore but i have to sustain my body so....3 springrolls and a glass of cold ovaltine milk.

I need some make-ahead meals I can do for my sister's house. She's already working her ass off with her job AND taking care of my mom. I've been trying to help as much as I can in the areas I'm good at, which would be housewifing and convincing my mom to cooperate with whatever needs to be done.

Anyone got suggestions? I'm going to do up a tuna casserole, and some meat loaf and mashed taters, but what else can you guys suggest that can be made ahead of time?

I need some make-ahead meals I can do for my sister's house. She's already working her ass off with her job AND taking care of my mom. I've been trying to help as much as I can in the areas I'm good at, which would be housewifing and convincing my mom to cooperate with whatever needs to be done.

Anyone got suggestions? I'm going to do up a tuna casserole, and some meat loaf and mashed taters, but what else can you guys suggest that can be made ahead of time?
Chili, soups without creams (add in later), add marinade to meats and then freeze, shredded chicken or pork for tacos and burritos. Pancakes, French toast, muffins and quick breads freeze well.

Tomato sauce, stuffed shells, lasagna rolls.

Last edited:
Chili, soups without creams (add in later), add marinade to meats and then freeze, shredded chicken or pork for tacos and burritos. Pancakes, French toast, muffins and quick breads freeze well.

Tomato sauce, stuffed shells, lasagna rolls.

I was thinking about making a big pot of homemade marinara sauce and freezing it in containers (it always tastes better after being frozen) so that she can just add it to whatever she wants.

I was thinking about making a big pot of homemade marinara sauce and freezing it in containers (it always tastes better after being frozen) so that she can just add it to whatever she wants.
I make it about 3 times a year and freeze it.
YW COMINHKR02572325 Sets 32oz Plastic Soup/Food Container with lids Amazon product

Also, won ton wrappers can make ravioli. I don't use them for Italian ravioli but you could if you wanted. You could use whatever filling you wanted. Put a tablespoon in the center, run egg wash on the sides with your finge, fold over like a triangle, press down on the sides, layer on a cookie sheet and freeze and then put them in a freezer bag. Make whatever sauce you think will work.

Also, hand held pies with sweet or savory fillings are good for freezing.

I make it about 3 times a year and freeze it.
YW COMINHKR02572325 Sets 32oz Plastic Soup/Food Container with lids Amazon product

Also, won ton wrappers can make ravioli. I don't use them for Italian ravioli but you could if you wanted. You could use whatever filling you wanted. Put a tablespoon in the center, run egg wash on the sides with your finge, fold over like a triangle, press down on the sides, layer on a cookie sheet and freeze and then put them in a freezer bag. Make whatever sauce you think will work.

Also, hand held pies with sweet or savory fillings are good for freezing.

Thanks. I'm so concerned about my mom, and now I'm concerned about my sister, too. It makes me feel better to have something to contribute to the situation. And apparently, one of the things that stresses her out most is her husband coming home from work and giving her sad puppy eyes while saying, "Where's dinner?" :rolleyes:

Thanks. I'm so concerned about my mom, and now I'm concerned about my sister, too. It makes me feel better to have something to contribute to the situation. And apparently, one of the things that stresses her out most is her husband coming home from work and giving her sad puppy eyes while saying, "Where's dinner?" :rolleyes:
You're welcome.
Not for nothing but that would stress me out as well with real or imaginary expectations.

I have been gifted the opportunity to develop most of my cooking towards what I want to learn or try. That said, I still need a plan.

I tried to make taquitos with homemade chorizo mixed with cream cheese but the corn tortillas kept falling apart. So I made it with flour tortillas and those were a bit bigger.

I think there is a smidge too much ground clove in that chorizo. So far I have been able to blow it off with next time I will be way more careful with adding it in but today it was more like being assaulted.

I'm going to make that and maybe some corn bread. My son hates chili so I haven't made it in years.

Forum List

Back